Screw positions to take side fairing off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Screw positions to take side fairing off

It's been awhile since the last time I took off the side panels to the bike, I have radio issues again so I have to get into the wires in it, someone said you only have to remove one side to get to the wire connectors so I'm about to start the job but I was wondering if anyone has a diagram as to where BMW hid the screws to hold on the panel? I remember some of them from last time I had it off but I'm sure I've forgotten some of them, so if anyone has a diagram to there placement it would be mighty helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:53 pm

Re: Screw positions to take side fairing off

There are several posts on tupperware removal including one that had a good chart on screw locations. Also, if you update your profile you may find a local rider who would be happy to help you out (if your in the So. Calif area I'd be happy to give you a hand). You can post a request for help on the regional board for your area.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Screw positions to take side fairing off

Try these . . .

http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/print.html

http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/plastic.html

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=0&fpart=

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
You can mark the locations with a marker, tape the screws to the tupperware, punch holes in a board, etc.

OR you can use my method. I have a 12 compartment cupcake tin. I throw the short screws in one spot, the medium and long screws in a separate spot each, then I separate the hex head screws by length and and diameter and put them in separate cups. When I put it back together I use short screws wherever I can and then finish up with the medium and long screws.

From my "cut 'n paste" files . . .

Tupperware Removal

What I have found that works well when you are first starting out is to use blue painters tape just tape the screws into the Tupperware it also has the benefit of reminding you of the hidden screw locations.

What has saved me a lot of time, in the future, is to pull a screw and mark the spot with the point of a permanent marker. They are mostly hidden anyway. There are 3 different lengths. So the long gets 1 ' . ', middle size ' .. ' and the shorts get ' ... '. I throw them all in a can, one for each side and go to it.
I also put the torque spec on many unexposed bolts so I do not have to keep looking up the numbers.

Not aware of any videos, but if you start at the bottom and work up, you'll be good. You could also start with the tip-over wing covers too (4 pieces). If you start there, you'll expose a bunch of screws that hold the top of the silver lower pieces, and bottoms of the big side panels.But if you start at the bottom, take off the front piece, 6 (I think) screws in front, and 4 allens underneath, then the two silver bottoms, and go on up. Take your time, there's a couple'a hidden screws, like under the front turn signals. Just don't force anything, and you'll be fine.
One thing to keep in mind is that the large side pieces, about where the oddments box is, just slip on - upward to remove, downward to install. And you'll need to remove the side wings - three screws if you look up.
HTH.
Frank

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in