k1200 will not crank - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

k1200 will not crank

hi guys. new to the forum. here is my dilemma. 2005 k1200lt with 27000 miles . came home from work and parked the bike in the garage. went out the next morning turned the key on hit the start button. no crank on the starter. lights come on .no clicks, no whirl,no buzz,no nothing.it is in neutral and in forward gear.kill switch is in the middle position.tried another battery no change.after 7 hours of testing i think it has something to do with the silver box in front of the radiator overflow tank. never a problem like this before. i dont think i have an alarm. bought the bike used with one key. no key fob. took the silver box apart . have power to the lead directly from the battery and nothing else even trying the start button. starter will turn over if i jump it. HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 5:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: k1200 will not crank

That is the reverser controller and does not effect the starter (exept during reversing). To the best of my knowledge all 05's came with the alarm and central locking. So it could be the immobilizer has activated. You can look under the top case to see if an alerm is in there. Actually you can just remove the rear seat and by the barrel connector at the center rear area there will be a flat two pin connector. If you have that connector you have an alarm. There is an article in the technical section that shows how to bypass the alarm. Alarm Bypass

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Oct 2nd, 2011 at 6:18 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:19 pm

Welcome Mark
The silver aluminum box is the reversing controler , what it does is lower the voltage to the starter/reverse motor so as to have a proper slow speed rev and the lower voltage is easer on DC electric motors used more than a few seconds at a time . The -12VDC wire for the starter relay goes through the reverse shift linkage micro switch and then into the reverse silver box to complete the circuit .
If it were me I would get help to push start the bike , is not hard just clumsy and easy to drop the big girl , then try the reverse , this will tell you if it is the electric starter motor or the interlocks or starter relay up under the fuel tank .
When trouble shooting BMW motorcycles you can not rely on the frame for a -12 volts , best to go to battery post .

Bob G

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

well i looked under the seat and found a two wire flat connector with what looked like to me gray colored wires. where will the alarm be? one dealer told me if you unhook and hook the battery back up the alarm will sound. any truth to that? i will look at the alarm bypass tomorrow. the dealer also told me there was no way to bypass the alarm.reverser box goes back together tomorrow. thanks for all the help guys .
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 9:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The dealers don't know everything. We have successfully bypassed all model year alarms. Sure you have to remove the top case and then the plate under that but then you just have to jump two sets of wires and you are running again. If it was the alarm in the first place.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in