Hydraulic center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Hydraulic center stand

I just bought a 2005 k1200lt. The hydraulic center stand doesn't work. I took it apart. Cleaned and bled the system just like the Ari / Joe Gottberg and Silver Buffalo outlined. I didn't replace any seals cause I didn't see any leaks and none appeared to be damaged. I still can't get the actuator to move inward. I hooked it up to my battery charger on 12v/2a and the motor works but the arm won't move. I even reversed the polarity. I have taken it apart twice. bled it many times. there are no bubbles/air in the system. I can press the actuator in and it will slowly move back out. No binding. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:11 pm

Re: Hydraulic center stand

Sounds like you don't have enough oil in the system. That is a typical symptom of too little oil. Try adding some more with a pipette and you should start seeing the actuator rod move. Dont overfill the system though!
Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I got it to work. I put my charger on 6amp instead of 2amp and the actuator works fine. No leaks.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:18 pm
cws

Garage

Bo, did you pull the motor apart to check its OK too.....? Fairly cheap fix to drop a new one in.
I had to add some more oil to mine last weekend as it was starting to fail again in warmer temps.... that did the trick and all seems good for now.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Must be the season for them. I had flushed mine after it started acting up on the way to CCR. Still wasn't working right. Put a new motor on and same thing - just quieter. Drained it and only had 100 ml in the old girl. Finally got 130 ml in and she is purring like a kitten again.

Found an easier way to fill the damn thing too. That big black bolt head contains an internal o-ring between chambers. I would remove it and as I squirted oil in I would press the unit against the work bench moving the rod into the cylinder. The chamber will suck in almost 50 ml a stroke. You have to put the bolt back in before you release the rod. Then do it again. Eventually you can add no more fluid to that area. Close it up and add the remaining 5-7 ml to the small filler port on the bottom left side. That way you can reliably get 130 ml in.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 12:06 am
Super Moderator

Sounds like we need to have a tech session at the next IronHorse . . .

I just bought a new 2009 LT and getting ready to sell my 2002.

So it looks like I now need to know how the center stand operates as I anticipate future maintenance and repair opportunities!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Hello all.
I pulled and cleaned the motor. alot of oxidation on the brush screws and the cylinder cover. I sanded and cleaned the cover and screws. The motor works fine and the actuator goes in like it should. This is on the bench though with my battery charger set at 12v/6a. So, that part seems on. Now I dont have power at the female plug. I put my volt meter on the pos/neg leeds and with the ignition on I dont get a voltage reading when I push the center stand button. The indicator light blinks, but no voltage. I havn't gotten my shop manual CD yet. I checked the fuses between the passenger seat and rider seat. They are all good.

Bo
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

I might have answered my question. Im at work so I'll have to see tonight when I get home. Could the reason I'm not getting voltage to the female connector be because my side stand is down? The riders manual says "Operator error" (thats me). "Side stand extended". "The indicator light flashes at 4 Hz and Indicator in the multifunction display has a -Call- symbol" (whatever that is). Any ideas? My R1100s is so much more simple..........Bo
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:15 pm

Garage

and dont touch the brakes

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I didnt touch the brakes, but the side stand is down. I hope thats all it is. bo
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmwmz
I might have answered my question. Im at work so I'll have to see tonight when I get home. Could the reason I'm not getting voltage to the female connector be because my side stand is down? The riders manual says "Operator error" (thats me). "Side stand extended". "The indicator light flashes at 4 Hz and Indicator in the multifunction display has a -Call- symbol" (whatever that is). Any ideas? My R1100s is so much more simple..........Bo
Side stand must be back up, Gearbox in neutral, none of the brake levers actuated and bike cannot be moving.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Great. Thats what I'll do when I get home tonight. Thx. Bo
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:40 am Thread Starter

The problem was the side stand being down. Thanks for a great resource. Ari and joegottberg write ups on the subject were perfect. The procedure is pretty straight forward. I made the mistakes not fully understanding how the stand worked. Read the owners manual first would have helped. Thanks again.
Bo.
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 5:42 pm

You're not the only one to learn something like this - I thought my center stand was faulty one day, and posted that message on this board. Then somebody mentioned "don't touch the brakes".... I had parked on a hill and was holding the brake...

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in