K1200 lt Tie down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

K1200 lt Tie down

Hello Everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I have 2007 K1200lt and looking to trailer it. When I purchased the bike from the prior owner it had come with a Nick's Strongback as part of the deal. Up until now, I have had no use for it, so i never worried about how it was to be properly used. Now that I need it, I would like to make sure I am using it correctly.

Here is what I have figured out: The Strongback bridges across the frame tubes under the drivers seat. The outer ratchet straps attach to anchor points below, pulling as near as straight down as possible without a forward or backward orientation.
The question I have is: What are the inner ratchet straps for? Where do they hook to? My guess is that they attach to the underside of the bike but to what? I am thinking that there is an additional cross bar that attaches to the underside frame tubes that the straps pull against and that the prior owner had not remembered to give me. If so does anyone have one of these bars that they can take a pic of and provide measurements? If I have a pic and measurements, I think that I can cut some steel and weld it together and make one.

Thanks again,

TOM G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 9:32 pm

Re: K1200 lt Tie down

Hi Tom, I have trailered my bike (05) down to Florida from Northern NY and I tied the bike down without one. Two straps from above the triple tree to rings on the floor, the back I just went to the frame under the saddle bags. You just want to snug the bike down alittle, You need the suspension to be able to work. I was going buy a strongback, but my dealer said to save your money and showed me the right way to do it. Lots of info on this site on how to do it. Chuck.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:59 am

The Nick's strong back is built by Nick's BMW at DePere,Wisconsin. It was designed by Jim Eng, the owner of Nick's BMW. If you give them a call, I'm sure Jim would be happy to explain how to use it properly.
The number is 920-347-9144
Hours are Mon.thru Fri. 10am to 6pm, Sat. 10am to 4pm.
Give em a call. You got it, why not use it? Saving the purchase price is not an issue for you.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:29 am

Thumbs up Re: K1200 lt Tie down

Remove the covers on the lower crash bumpers and tie off with ratchet straps.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 8:01 am
cwo

I use a Nicks Strongback. It makes the tie down process very easy. Strongback mounts under the drivers seat, and front wheel chock.....strap front wheel to chock, and tie down from strongback slightly forward. That's it.

Chris Ogle, Baldwin Kansas

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:07 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer259
Remove the covers on the lower crash bumpers and tie off with ratchet straps.
I don't recommend this as they are designed to take a load in the UP direction not the DOWN direction. This was evident when I attempted to correct the upward bend in my tip over bars following a violent tip over. The unit the bar goes into will bend away from the frame member with any downward force.

Better to make a chock for the front wheel and pull the forks into the chock. The bike will stay put. I add a couple of stabilizing straps to the rear tube frame under the panniers . The strong back is neat but it is over kill.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:04 pm

From the site FAQ where there is a ton of good information, which nobody reads anymore. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...l&titlesonly=0

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
From the site FAQ where there is a ton of good information, which nobody reads anymore. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...l&titlesonly=0
Yup, that's good info. I disagree about not using the ratchet style tie downs, they help out alot as long as you don't overdue it. I've hauled my LT, and my RT, many times using that method.
1. put the front wheel into a wheel chock. set it on the sidestand while you get the tie downs ready.
2. put tie down extender straps around the fork tubes just above the front fender fork cross brace.
3. hook up the ratcheting tie down straps to the extension straps. leave the left side just loose enough to be about right with the bike vertical.
4. rachet the right side strap till the bike is vertical. it is critical that the left side be figured correct in step 3 so the bike doesn't come over on the right.
5. ratchet adjust as necessary to ensure the bike is vertical. make sure the sidestand is in the up position. it's made to rest the bike, not support it during movement stress.
6. hook ratchet tie down straps to extension straps placed around the front of the rear sidecase frames. you'll see them if you look up under the side cases on each side. I just use the centerstand cross brace on the RT. ratchet adjust as necessary. this stablizes the rear tire from sliding around if you hit a bad bump, and also helps keep the bike from forward movement if you have to brake hard.
7. I used to add another two straps to the centerstand lift handle on the LT just because it allowed me more peace of mind with the heavier bike. I'd put a closed cell foam hunting seat under the strap that went over the seat to the right side to protect the drivers seat.

I've hauled the bikes south out of the great white north here several times using this method and it works well. The strongback tie could nullify some of this method, but there is the info if you need it.

Dave - NH Seacoast
RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '07 KLR650; '00 KDX200;
Gone, not forgotten: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I think that I will give Jim at NICKS BMW a call (thanks for the number lhroaddog) and get some info on proper use. I'm going to give the Strongback a try but throw some ties in a bag just in case I don't like how it is riding.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
TOM G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in