No Sound thru radio on my 2001LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

No Sound thru radio on my 2001LT

I just left the shop with my 2001 K1200Lt, I had the oil changed and I new rear tire installed about 2 mins into the ride the sound from my radio went dead. All the controls seem to be working the radio lights up as normal it switches between the cd, aux and radio, everything seems to be working on the unit but there is no sound coming from it. I tried the disconnect the battery thing a couple of times already but I haven't had any luck with that, can anyone give me some advice on this problem? Don't think water is the issue here either as the bike hasn't seen water in some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: No Sound thru radio on my 2001LT

Check to see if the speakers have been turned off... Take a look into the HOW ( Hall of Wisdom) at the top under the Technical drop down the exact procedure is there.

Or you could also search the links listed below this post to get some other hints.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:01 pm

This must be a planetary thing.....I just had the exact same thing happen! I have power to the stingray/radio, but not even a remote hiss from any speaker!

I did notice a slight raspy sound coming from my left rear speaker about a month ago, but all others were fine - I just think that speaker is about to go bad......and now no speakers work!

I just took off the plastic on the left side to check all the connections and they're all good-n-tight! Checked the radio fuse....not the problem either.

I have read on other posts that our amp might be shot.....and that stinks 'cause that, evidently, cannot be repaired. I was wondering if a radio shop might be able to repair it? Has anyone found a solution to this challenge other than buying a new radio? Jensen I hear works, but then there's the problem with connections isn't there? Which model of Jensen has someone been able to make work?

Found this thread about Jensen install.. .... Might be my winter project. I just hate not using the controls on the left handlebar.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlauBeeMr; Oct 1st, 2011 at 4:27 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:57 pm

Try disconnecting the speaker connectors, shoot them with contact cleaner, apply some electrical grease to the connects and then back together. Do it for front and rear.

Sometimes that solves the problem.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 5:19 pm

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #6 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:16 am Thread Starter

I wish it was as simple as that, I checked that and the speakers are on
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 7:01 pm

Yep....same here....checked all wiring, connections, and disconnected the battery.....all to no avail.

Has anyone ever taken the radio out and had the amp replaced....or is that not possible?

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

There is a vendor that can repair your radio. Becker Auto Sound, located in Saddle Brook, New Jersey will get you up and running like new.I called them a few months ago to get an estimate of the costs. They charge a flat $400.00 rate for K1200LT radio repair, no matter the problem. My concern that if the radio malfunctioned a year later, I would need pay another $400.00 for repair again. (see the link below)

As an alternatve, I just purchased the Jensen jms2212 with the Sirius radio receiver for $245.00. I'm in the middle of the install process now.

www.beckerautosound.com

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone that replied, I was going to send the unit to Becker Sound but they charge $400. for the repair a bit to much I think, I understand thru them its a common problem with the amp going out on these bmw radios. I found the cd amp section of the radio at a bike dismantler they charges me $200 for the unit, after I installed it back on the bike the radio system never worked so good, it now even picks up radio stations with no interference and plays thru all the speakers, just hope it lasts. But again thanks for all the help I got on this site!
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:05 am

I've had my radio go out three times this season. It's been resolved with a battery disconnect all three times so far. Is this a sign of an imminent failure or just one of the many BMW quirks? This is the first bike I've ever had with a radio and really gotten used to having it.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 6:54 pm

Garage

Quirk or design flaw- take your pick.

I'd keep trolling on ebay or craigslist for a replace radio. The CD player and tape decks are interchangable. I've changed mine 3 times in the past 6 years. I stopped using it and now simply stream music via bluetooth to my helmet. It sounds better and doesn't annoy anyone. YMMV

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in