Early BMW Rear Pad Replacement/ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Early BMW Rear Pad Replacement/

I have an '09 LT with integrated braking. I was forced to replace the rear pads @ 10,300 miles; worn to the metal!
The dealer indicated that this is not unusual and went on to cite Triumph rear pad replacements @ 6,000 miles. I pressed the advisor and he could not cite a BMW example with pad replacement at such a low mileage.

Question to community: In your experience, is this typical?

Cal Jeffers
'09 1200LT
'01 1200LT
'89 GOLDWING SE
'80 900C HONDA CUSTOM
'75 Honda 750
'70 BMW R75/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 11:17 am

Re: Early BMW Rear Pad Replacement/

I have an 05 and 40,000 miles on her, and the pads are still only 1/2 worn.

Most likely I will change them this winter when I do a brake flush.

10,000 miles is not normal to me.

I am sure others will state their millage on pads.

Bowdon
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 11:47 am

I would say its a little early, however, if you use your rear brake a lot I guess it could be normal. That being said I go through almost two sets of front pads to every set of rears.
So you can see that how you use your brakes changes the whole dynamics of wear...

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm

I'd say it has everything to do with how you use your brakes. If you ride them and crank them hard they are going to wear fast. Mine go for at least 30k miles. FWIW, my Triumph has 5800 miles on the original pads and they are nowhere near replacement

Seems like a favorite answer from service advisors is "they all do that" . And, what the hell does a Triumph have to do with BMW brake pads

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

I bought my LT used, with less than 9000 miles on it. I had to change the rear pads at approximately 12000 miles. Obviously, part of this wear was with the original owner. Since then, I have been averaging about 17000 on the rear pads.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:31 pm

You guys are forgetting that his LT has linked brakes. The computer controls BOTH rear and front.

That said, 10K miles is a indicator that something is very wrong.

My LT has linked brakes and I could probably get 100,000 out of the rear pads. I checked them at 55,000 miles and they were less than 50% worn. The front pads were worn out at the same 55K miles.

Of course it all depends on the individual rider, but 10,000 miles is not right.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you have a heavy right foot and it is drooping onto the pedal it will cause premature wear. I went 29K before I changed my first set. Then I started dragging a little rear brake as I downshifted coming to a stop just to have the brake light on. Now I am on my fourth set @70K.

Usually it is the inner pad that wears the most and if the caliper pistons were not cleaned well when the pads are replaced they can cause the same wear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for weighing in. I really do appreciate your collective time.
Wardenross has the response I am looking for. The '09 has integrated ABS It is unclear why the wear is so severe. It was just in for service in May '11 and supposedly the brakes were checked and all was "good". Now you may question that as I did, but that was the response.
I then travel approximately 3,600 miles and the rear is down to the metal backing plates! That is strange. What I am going to do is insist that the dealer pulse their service contact to determine if this is normal. I too will monitor the rear brakes more closely than before; like when I remove the rear tire for a tire change. The fronts seem fine.

More thoughts??

Cal Jeffers
'09 1200LT
'01 1200LT
'89 GOLDWING SE
'80 900C HONDA CUSTOM
'75 Honda 750
'70 BMW R75/5
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 6:21 pm

That sounds about right I changed my 09 at around 10K ish fronts will go to around 20K from the looks of it easy to change the pads and the cost isn't all that bad.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Thank you KRA961. I will keep that in mind. I was thinking that I had/have a major problem.
Follow up: Does the community routinely use both the front and rear to stop?
I routinely apply the rear and follow up with the front. It is a habit I acquired when I first started riding. At the time I was told it was the thing to do.Of course that was way before the era of integrated/linked braking systems.
More thoughts?

Cal Jeffers
'09 1200LT
'01 1200LT
'89 GOLDWING SE
'80 900C HONDA CUSTOM
'75 Honda 750
'70 BMW R75/5
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:26 am

With the brakes being linked I've never worried about front or back braking in fact its rare that I use the rear peddle at all mainly due to the placement, I used to rely on transmission for most the stopping power but as one smart fellow here mentioned pads are cheaper and easier to change then transmissions

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Last edited by Kra961; Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:30 pm.
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:13 am

I changed my rear pads at 36k, they could have easily gone 72k or more.

Unless you ride your brakes a lot, I mean a whole lot, you have something wrong.

B D R
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My 07 wore the rear pads out in 26,000 miles, but the fronts are 50% worn if that. I tend to apply front and rear brakes about evenly, but I am not sure what the computer is doing via the linked brakes, It appears the linked brakes favor the rear more than I do as in the past I have worn out the front brakes at least as quickly as the rears.

10K does sound like very high wear, but it all depends on how you ride. If the brakes are dragging, you should notice a lot of heat in the rotor and caliper after a ride. Or if you spin the wheel when on hte centerstand, you should notice a lot of drag. I get a little drag and it isn't even as the wheel turns easily for part of the revolution and the drags a little more part, but the drag is fairly light and the wheel easily rotated by hand.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:43 pm

I changed out my bmw pads at 17000 due to squealing. They still had almost 3/4ths of the pad left. I replaced them with EBC sintered pads. I bought new EBC pads in anticipation of replacing them around 40,000 miles. I was suprised to find that the pads had 3/4ths of the original pad (front and rear) when I checked them at 43,000 miles. I guess I don't use them much.

My linked brakes apply the rear first when I apply the rear brake and apply the front first when I apply the front brake. The system only adds in the other brakes when I brake harder.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 9:19 pm

I have a 09 also and have been through two sets in about 30K. My front brakes are original and show barely any wear. I almost exclusively used the rear brake but am trying to change my habits to see if there is a difference. It appears to eat up the rear if I don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in