HyperPro active damper - feedback? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 9:59 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
HyperPro active damper - feedback?

I know from the threads I can find that a few have installed the HyperPro active damper, on my "local" Aus suppliers website I think its listed as (for Titanium/Gunmetal colour):
SD STROKE 75 PROGRESSIVE

STEERING DAMPER 75 MM RSC PRO GUN METAL (Titanium)

DS-075M-NP1

and the mounting kit as:
BMW

K 1200 LT (K76 99-03 / 04-08)

99-08

ON ORIGINAL PLACE

SD STROKE 75

MK-BM12-O001

So, whats the feedback on its use... have you found it a worthwhile install... value for money, over the OEM damper?

I'm a tiny bit concerned that on the HyperPro mounting kit install instructions that it clearly states "FOR RACE USE ONLY, NOT HIGHWAY USE" * see attached pdf document and therefore any affect that might have on insurance.

thoughts or info welcome....
cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Damper-Installation-BMWK1200.pdf (148.4 KB, 91 views)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Re: HyperPro active damper - feedback?

I installed the HyperPro Damper in the spring of '09. I had some issues ordering the damper for my '01 because the specs, at the time, did not show the earlier LT models. HyperPro said that it would fit.

For me the HyperPro damper was a 'no-brainer' because my OEM damper was leaking and it needed replacement. I had a slight wobble at very low speed (long story) and I did not know if this was the problem. As it turned out it was not the problem, the tire was defective. IMHO replacing a functioning OEM damper with the HyperPro is not a cost effective purchase.

The effective price of the OEM replacement damper and the HyperPro, for me, was a wash, so the 'active damper' was a good fit. I did have some troubles getting the damper off but overall I see nothing different from OEM.

I adjusted it so that when it deployed it would be on the high side of the 'active' adjustment. Basically I believe that it might help recover from a racing type tank slapper by helping the rider slow the oscillations.

I don't intend to try it out or test it to see if it works.

I got a 'gold tone' damper. It sure looks as expensive as it was...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:40 am

I put the Hyper Pro on last year and had a very full season of riding with it.

Similar problem as the previous post my OEM dampener was leaking. (99LT) For some reason all the replacement units are expensive. I liked the adjustable feature of the Hyper Pro so that is what I replaced the OEM with.

The mounts of the OEM dampener had to be drilled out which took a pretty good effort. Had to take the front wheel and fender off to get to it. The new Hyprer Pro mounted easily after I got the old one off.

I took a guess about where to initially set the Hyper Pro. It was way too tight. Start low and work your way up to where you like it.

I think the caution about racing is legal-eze. Once you get it set for your taste it is something you can forget about.

Just today I was looking up under the front of the bike and saw the Hyper Pro had a thin film of oil and some dirt on it. I know it is rebuild-able (unlike the OEM) but for the money I am disappointed to see any sign of a leak after just one year. There were no drips. Yet.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 27th, 2012, 6:03 am
Vic

STEERING DAMPER MOUNTING KIT TECHNICAL QUESTION

STEERING DAMPER MOUNTING KIT MK-BM12-O001 For BMW K1200 GT, LT, RS Model 2003 ->
Damper Clamp comes with JOINT LINK inside
During the installation I understand that original joint link at FORK BRIDGE remain at place.
The question is that I have too much free playing (floating) at two joint after installation and tightening bolt.
Is it wrong Damper Clamp?
Or original joint link from bridge must be removed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in