Will it start?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Will it start??

I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT that I got last fall, it was wrecked and in very bad state. I 'm finished with the gas tank and most of the wiring, still have to put the plastic together. I have tried to start it but it will not turn over nor do I hear the fuel pump running. Is there a reset I should know about or maybe it's the key, is it the kind that has a transponder into it? I'm puzzled! The centerstand will not deploy either, light will flash but no action what should I try, all of you geniuses out there in internetland???
P.S. it has a brand new fully charged battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencla
I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT
Did they have batteries 1000 years ago Sorry, couldn't resist. Are you sure the battery is fully charged? A weak battery won't drive the centrestand or the started, but will fire up a light.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:26 pm

I've had one battery that I thought was fully charged but had a dead plate inside. No cranking amps at all. If you have a tester and put it on the terminals of the battery, what voltage does it read?

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

battery

Brand new Odissey gel battery, no fuel pump sound, completely quiet!
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild
I've had one battery that I thought was fully charged but had a dead plate inside. No cranking amps at all. If you have a tester and put it on the terminals of the battery, what voltage does it read?
Hey, James - my Toad doesn't have an alarm, so this may be a dumb question, butt.... wouldn't his '05 have an alarm? And if the system is armed, would he be able to activate the fuel pump? And the centerstand? Just curious.

Also, he might wanna make sure the reverse lever is fully forward and not partially engaged. The bike won't start if it's in reverse.

Other than those two thangs, I'll wait to hear from the site gurus to git him going.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:25 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

If you forgot to connect the wire on top of the gas tank and the one below to the right, you will have fuel pump issues. Let's hope you did not connect the power outlet wires on the right side to the fuel pump wires (I don't think they can be connected but you never know).

Is the starter crancking? If not, I'd check the battery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:46 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencla
I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT that I got last fall, it was wrecked and in very bad state. I 'm finished with the gas tank and most of the wiring, still have to put the plastic together. I have tried to start it but it will not turn over nor do I hear the fuel pump running. Is there a reset I should know about or maybe it's the key, is it the kind that has a transponder into it? I'm puzzled! The centerstand will not deploy either, light will flash but no action what should I try, all of you geniuses out there in internetland???
P.S. it has a brand new fully charged battery.
If it's a newer model with the alarm, that's probably your issue. The alarm automatically sets itself and the bike won't start. If you don't have the remotes then you'll have to take the bike to the dealer or try removing the alarm (it's under the top box)

The center stand doesn't work if you are touching either brake and the bike must be in neutral...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Here's the situation: the bike was bought in Pomona, Ca, was in a crash , I bought it on the net and it came on a pallet w/no wheels, no centerstand, trans was broken where the centerstand bolts to it, no exhaust, no sidestand, ignition switch broken, etc..
Now: almost all fixed up, new (used) ignition sw, exhaust, centerstand w/sidestand, trans was welded up, new sidestand sw, missing a "hall effect sensor" for centerstand ( bypassed the wires with no effect ) Fuel tank installed w/very little fuel in it, both plugs connected, (upper and lower). The bike has an alarm, I have the remote and can switch it to on or off but when I try to progran it, it sounds 4 beeps (supposed to be three?). The dashboard lights up and the "Brake failure" flashes 1/sec, and I cannot hear the fuel pump ( should I?). Maybe I need to go to the dealer to have the computer reset?? I still have to try some suggestions posted here like pushing the connection wire at the starter fully in and double checking all plugs. Thanks to all for shedding light in a dark tunnel, Denis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm05 (4).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	2509  

Last edited by dencla; Mar 13th, 2006 at 9:45 am.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Smile Ted!! You got it!

You put your finger right on the problem!! I thought I had tried everything and went to the bike without much confidence but the thing just started up!! Thanks a lot, hope to be able to help someone like that sometime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in