Just bought my first BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Just bought my first BMW

Drove 150 miles home with my "new" 2000 K1200LT-C. 20,000 miles. Very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride home. I'm going to purchase a clymer for it. Is there a PDF of a rider's manual out there somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Re: Just bought my first BMW

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as we like ours. Get a clymers and you will be fine. Dont waste your money on anything else. Picture?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 7:08 am

Garage

Congratulations! Welcome!

What else have you ridden, and how did you come to find the BMW family?
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 7:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome! I'm sure you'll love it more after every ride, I do mine. If you look around you on the net you can find the BMW service manual available via DVD to purchase, I have that and the Clymer, I feel I get a more complete picture between the two of them. I also found the Paul Sayegh videos useful.

-Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 7:42 am

Welcome aboard Joe, I know you will love your LT the longer you ride it. In addition to the Clymer book, there is a wealth of information on this site. Check the Hall of Wisdom and the tech archives to name a few.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Z50 honda as a kid
F9 Bighorn Kawasaki till I was 16
'78 KZ1000 Kawasaki from 16 into college (still own)
'79 KZ1300 Kawasaki in college until 2001 (still own)
'01 FZ1 Yamaha (bought new)
'00 K1200LT BMW owned for a day

I have always enjoyed a bike that performs, is comfortable for a day ride, and is a good value.

My wife has not been enjoying the FZ1 the last two years and has been talking about more of a touring bike. We test rode a K1600GTL this spring and LOVED it, but it's not in our price range. I've test ridden some HD motorcycles and they're not for me. We test rode a GL1500 and it was definitely not for me. We test rode a K1200LT back in 2000 and remember really liking the bike (at that time wasn't something we could afford) and got us thinking a used KLT might be the bike for us. My wife has been researching K12LT's for a while and found the one we bought about 3 hours from home from a private seller. We took a test ride and thought that's the bike for us. We got what we think was a great deal on this bike, and I affirmed it enjoying the 3 hour ride home. It's a C model with the heated seats, chrome, 6-disk changer, etc.

Hopefully the weather and time cooperates for fluid maintenance and a nice long ride this weekend.

The bike has a whopping 20,000 miles on it and looks great.
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Welcome Joe, Yes, you did make the right choice....and now that you have drank of the purple cool-aid, it will be hard for you to ride anything else, and not want to get back on the LT....Here is a resource for the bmw manual you wanted on line, I believe the Clymer is better, but I personally don't have one, but I suppose if I ever have to really get into the big girl, I will have to break down and buy one. So far, between this excellent forum and the free downloadable manual, I have managed to perform all the necessary maintenance so far.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7336759/BM...-Repair-Manual

Have Fun (I know you will)

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Congrats on your LT....and welcome to the clan of good folks here.

I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and prefer riding my old '99 LT as much or more than any of them. And I used to be one of the many with the "light truck" jokes etc toward other owners.....till I became one.

Enjoy!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 4:47 pm

many thanks for the scribd link.

Just what I needed before I start tearing my 00 apart to replace the throttle cables.

Congrats on the 00LT.

One day my wife told me that we needed a more comfortable bike if I wanted her to continue riding with me.

I bought my 00 in Sept of 2000.

If you check out the ride tails you'll see a pix of my LT entering "The Kanc"

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm

If you search this forum for 2000, you'll find tons of info about that model year.

And, by design, your speedo reads too high. When it reads 80 you are going around 72. I got tired of .9 of the indicated speed and modified mine.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I got a little discouraged with my 2000 when it sprang a gas leak and then a brake hose leak soon after I bought it. But those are both small issues that can be addressed at home if you like to turn wrenches. Most of these bikes are rock solid reliable. Mine certainly has been. It's easy to look at all the posts asking for help and get the idea these things aren't that reliable. For every post on here looking for help there's about 19,000 others out there that didn't have any problems that day. Just remember that a lot of us do everything we can ourselves and this is absolutely the best spot for reliable input if you have an issue. Welcome to the club.

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I noticed the speedo seems high. On the ride home from buying the bike, I followed my wife, who said she was doing about 70-72 on the highway and I was reading 78-80.

I'll search the site for a fix description, but if any of you has a link you can provide, thanks in advance!

By the way, my wife and I put about 120 miles on the bike last night and on the way home she commented "You know, in about 12 hours we could be in Kentucky". We live in central Wisconsin.
post #14 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTerry
Thanks guys! I noticed the speedo seems high. On the ride home from buying the bike, I followed my wife, who said she was doing about 70-72 on the highway and I was reading 78-80.

I'll search the site for a fix description, but if any of you has a link you can provide, thanks in advance!

By the way, my wife and I put about 120 miles on the bike last night and on the way home she commented "You know, in about 12 hours we could be in Kentucky". We live in central Wisconsin.
That is a built in feature on the speedo to help keep you from getting performance awards from LEOs

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys! I noticed the speedo seems high. On the ride home from buying the bike, I followed my wife, who said she was doing about 70-72 on the highway and I was reading 78-80..
Joe,

As Boatzo said....and the old computer joke goes....."that's a feature....not a fault!" I've owned about 10 BMW's over the years and every one of them indicated about 5 to 7 mph high at 60. BTW.....BMW's aren't the only manufactures that "do" this. My wife's Suzuki is 9 mph high at highway speeds. Many motorcycles have the same characteristic.

Once you know what your "correction factor" is....it's not hard to compensate. And, of course, GPSs make speed management easy.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #16 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Thumbs up Re: Just bought my first BMW

Welcome aboard!

I too was new to a BMW motorcycle just 5 short years ago and 118,000 miles later, my '03 K1200LT is still going daily!

There is no better site than this one for fix-it info on the net that I've found!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Hey Joe (sounds like the beginning of a good song!) Interestingly enough, if you set your speed, like hold the throttle, or cruise control, say at 60mph or what ever speed you want to verify, and push your bc button until your mph number shows, push reset, and it will tell you what your actual speed is....weird I know, that the bike has the capability to know what the actual speed is, but the speedo doesn't tell you...???
Anyway try it sometime, I have done it at like 40, then 50, then 60 and so forth to let me know what the off set on the speedo is at those speeds, and then while I am riding, I already know what to subtract from the speedo to get a more accurate read on my speed. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. Good luck.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Quote:

Click here for the speedo fix, as listed in the Featured Articles section of the site. A good weekend afternoon project. Find some other folks in your area who have '99 or '00 model year bikes that need a speedo fix and have a group tech session. Good luck - HTH.
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 6:45 am

While you are fixing the speedo error you might also want to take a quick look here: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1 for a quick preemptive repair to the wire that feeds the cruise control, speedometer, ABS, etc. Sometime the frame wears a hole in the insulation of this wire and causes all sorts of issues. Like no cruise control! There is a picture in the referenced post showing where the problem occurs. Down by the swing arm.

Easy to repair and a whole lot better to do the repair in your garage than out on the road.

Loren

BTW The 2000 model year is a good one!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Great suggestion. Thanks!!!
post #21 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Did my 1st oil change last night. No big deal. Spent some time looking behind the plastic and the brake system looks a little intimidating, but otherwise everything looks somewhat straight forward.

I did experience my 1st "gotta get used to that BMW" experience last night. After changing the oil, I backed it out of my shop and was going to drive it into my garage, about 80' away. With all of my previous bikes, if I have to back up a little incline and don't have quite enough umph to do it, I just pull the front brake, push the bike forward a little to load the fork springs, and as they unload, let go of the brake for a little fork spring assistance backing up. Didn't happen on the KLT with the front suspension setup. Then I remembered. It has reverse... :-)
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:13 pm

My LT speedometer is about 10% off (high) at any speed over 4 mph. However, my 05 GS is right on at all speeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in