Damaged Rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Damaged Rim

Thoughts and opinions on this gentleman, I hit a pot hole here in dallas area and here are the results, did not lose air and rode fine. I dropped bike off last week to Dealer in Fort Worth and new rim has to come from overseas is what I am being told, I was first told there was three in the states last thursday now told something different. I was scheduled to go on a ride next week and wanted to know thoughts on riding bike like this? I am trying not explode on dealer but this is the first BMW I have owned and love it BUT, I have always ridden a Harley for pleasure and have ridden one at work for 20 years and counting, but have never had to wait on parts for months and honest never had this happen to one of my rims before in 32 years, I am trying to smile but hard. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	33039  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Damaged Rim

I wouldn't ride on that. I got a smaller dent in an LT rim and had The Frame Man straighten it but yours looks pretty far gone.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think there's a front wheel or two over in the classifieds.
http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...t/3167/cat/all
Make sure you match the wheel by the ABS system you have.
Also you can check with one of the sponsors Beemer Boneyard.
Ted is right. Don't ride it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Sep 27th, 2011 at 5:51 pm.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:46 pm

I would be a little concerned about the tire taking a hit like that, too. Check it close when you pull it.
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, kinda what I thought wanted to think diffrent, but just thought I would ask. The bike is is a 09 with just 5000 miles, are these rims soft compared to most?
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:12 pm

A friend of mine hit a rock and crack his last year while we were on a 450 mile day ride. He found a guy who repaired rims and had it fixed. It took about two months but you absolutely could not tell it had been repaired.

If you like, I will find out who did the repair and get you their info.

Bob
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott554
Thanks for the replies, kinda what I thought wanted to think diffrent, but just thought I would ask. The bike is is a 09 with just 5000 miles, are these rims soft compared to most?
Yup - very. They take a pretty good drubbing normally, but occasionally, a pothole wins!!
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Enjoy The Ride

How much air pressure did you have in the tire?. Most of us run 42psi and it can help reduce the rim contacting the pavement. Your rim fits LT's from 2002 on up.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

I am running 42 in the front and 49 in the rear. I guess things happen for a reason thanks for the replies.
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Sorry to hear the bad news !!
You might check with Schreveport Motorsports (Don or Doris) see if they might have one
But liked said above would not want to trust that large of a dent
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 8:53 pm

i had one just like that, rode over 12 k with it. sent it to http://www.mcwheel.com they did a good job. i bought the bike with the dent and never noticed it until i had a new tire put on, they had a hard time balancing it, then found out why!

......nothing important to say.
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Yup - I wouldn't ride on it, and I was also gonna recommend mcwheel. Typically 1 week turn-around time.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #13 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I was going to say, there is also one on E-Bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K...item3f0e6b1379

But I think it is the same one

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Garage

Several people on the 370Z forum that I am on have used this company for their damaged auto wheels with outstanding results... in their driveway. They were much more damaged than the one shown above. I don't know if they would do a K wheel, but it may be worth asking.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 3:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't think you will have a problem riding with that wheel. I rode several years with one about that bad with no problems.

I would look for one on ebay though. Anything from 2002 on will work.

You are welcome to borrow one of my spares while you send yours out for fixing
or get another one. Come on down and we can change the tire and wheel out.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
post #16 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I had a rim badly bent, thanks to the City of Angels for patching potholes (NOT!).

I took it to a reputable place but as the rime was badly hit (much worse than the OP's). They normally would have fixed it but alas it was also warped and could not be fixed.

I found a used one and replaced it. BTW the tire was still good, but at the time of the accident all the air got out and I had to flatbed the bike home.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Did that to mine about 2 years ago. Replaced several tires since, but still running the rim.
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

I've had at least two rims with worse dents than what your showing....that were straightened by quality shops.......and performed well for thousands of miles. Like others have said.....I'd be wary of riding as is....but once repaired....should do fine.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just FYI .Here is another one on E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-O...item45fd781e0f starting bid $99.99 .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #20 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:54 am
Sit

I dented two rims a few years ago. Both showed damage to the lip of the rim like yours and neither lost air. As I was a long distance from home, I continued riding on the rims. My rear rim, did just fine, no issues. My front rim had more damage though than could be seen, the major hit was actually on the base part of the rim, not just the lip area. So after several hundred miles, my wheel started to loose its roundness, felt like I had an oblong whee. Made it home though, stripped both rims down and sent them off to frame straight. A week later and less than the cost of one new rim I had them both back good as new.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:24 pm

Good grief I've taken some bad hits with mine your's makes me wonder about internal injuries or the loss of your teeth. Could have been a lot worse

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 8:48 pm

If your calipers have BMW on them I have one for sale in the classified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in