Stiff throttle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Stiff throttle

I have an 07 LT and find the throttle pretty stiff as compared to other bikes I have owned or that friends own. I am pretty sure this isn't friction in the cables as it snaps shut smartly when closing, just takes a lot of force to hold open. And I believe the 07 has the new style throttle cables so I don't think that is the issue. When I had it stripped down a year ago to install the CB, I could reach the TBI units and open the throttles by hand and the spring force is quite high and it appears to have at least two springs that hold the throttles closed.

It also appears that these coil springs could be unwound slightly as it appears the ends of the springs can be clipped in a couple of different positions. My question is: has anyone installed the springs with a little less torsion on the springs in the closed position? Is this even possible?

I will be tearing into the bike this winter for the 24K so I will have it stripped pretty well down to the throttle bodies so now would be the time to try such a change if it is feasible and won't cause any collateral issues.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Re: Stiff throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I have an 07 LT and find the throttle pretty stiff as compared to other bikes I have owned or that friends own. I am pretty sure this isn't friction in the cables as it snaps shut smartly when closing, just takes a lot of force to hold open. And I believe the 07 has the new style throttle cables so I don't think that is the issue. When I had it stripped down a year ago to install the CB, I could reach the TBI units and open the throttles by hand and the spring force is quite high and it appears to have at least two springs that hold the throttles closed.

It also appears that these coil springs could be unwound slightly as it appears the ends of the springs can be clipped in a couple of different positions. My question is: has anyone installed the springs with a little less torsion on the springs in the closed position? Is this even possible?

I will be tearing into the bike this winter for the 24K so I will have it stripped pretty well down to the throttle bodies so now would be the time to try such a change if it is feasible and won't cause any collateral issues.
I'm not sure if you really want to tear it down.
I can't tell exactly how stiff your throttle is but they all are much stiffer than other bikes. This is the BMW LT design, no one could really explain it to me why but you can get used to it.
I had same problem when I first got my LT in 2004 - the dealer explained that this is all correct, they are all like this. Then I got my next LT 2007, and it was the same.
You'll learn to use Cruise control more often it bothers you.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 7:16 pm

When I picked up my 08, the throttle felt very stiff. The dealership told me the same thing, "that's normal". About a year later, noticed when it was cold outside the throttle would hang up. Took it in and they changed the throttle cable, now the throttle (while still some what stiff) doesn't feel that much worse than my Tiger.

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 8:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
I'm not sure if you really want to tear it down.
I can't tell exactly how stiff your throttle is but they all are much stiffer than other bikes. This is the BMW LT design, no one could really explain it to me why but you can get used to it.
I had same problem when I first got my LT in 2004 - the dealer explained that this is all correct, they are all like this. Then I got my next LT 2007, and it was the same.
You'll learn to use Cruise control more often it bothers you.
As I said, I am doing a 24K so it will be torn down anyway. I use the cruise all the time, but I'd rather have a lighter throttle so I could use it less.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 1:01 pm

I don't think you'll make much headway... I tried.

My solution, $10.00 worth of plastic Cramp Buster and some foam "sleeves" over the grips to increase the diameter.

BMW stock grips are soooo skinny and hard, I guess Germans must have small hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cramp buster.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	33038  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I don't think you'll make much headway... I tried.

My solution, $10.00 worth of plastic Cramp Buster and some foam "sleeves" over the grips to increase the diameter.

BMW stock grips are soooo skinny and hard, I guess Germans must have small hands.
Yes, I already have the grip puppies.

I haven't yet tried the Cramp Buster. Does it work OK over the puppies or do you have to trim the foam out of the way?

Also, what did you try to reduce the throttle spring tension? Did you try to adjust the springs or did you try something else?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a cramp buster and it works great for me. They are expandable and come in sizes for different diameters.

Just a note of caution if you are in traffic make sure you rotate it out of the way, if you have to brake suddenly it tends to throttle up a bit...

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Voyager, I know you've been around a while. Just wanted to say that the first time I greased my throttle grip, it was uncomfortable slippery (and no, I didn't put the grease on the outside of the grips). I removed it and wiped the majority off to stiffen the throttle up again.
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Unwinding the throttle return spring one turn is a well proven remedy for the stiff throttle on Yamaha FJR1300's. Did it to mine and it works wonders, plan on trying on the LT next time I check the valves.
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
Voyager, I know you've been around a while. Just wanted to say that the first time I greased my throttle grip, it was uncomfortable slippery (and no, I didn't put the grease on the outside of the grips). I removed it and wiped the majority off to stiffen the throttle up again.
Tell me more. Did you grease the insie of the throttle where it rotates against the bar or however it is attached? I have not had my LT throttle apart so I am not 100% certain of how it is put together.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 9:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
I have a cramp buster and it works great for me. They are expandable and come in sizes for different diameters.

Just a note of caution if you are in traffic make sure you rotate it out of the way, if you have to brake suddenly it tends to throttle up a bit...
Another note of caution on the Cramp Buster. If you are aggressively riding the twisties, it's easy to think you've let off the throttle, when your wrist is still holding it open. Several years ago, I came REAL close to stuffing a Harley into a ditch when I did that exact thing. After leaving most of the chrome on the left floorboards on the pavement, I did manage to get through the turn without a low side. I immediately stopped the bike, removed the Cramp Buster and threw it in the weeds. I would NEVER use one again.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Tell me more. Did you grease the inside of the throttle where it rotates against the bar or however it is attached? I have not had my LT throttle apart so I am not 100% certain of how it is put together.
Yes, the inside of the throttle handle and handlebar. But you have to remove the stingray first to disconnect the heated grip wires that run inside the handlebar, otherwise the throttle handle will not slide off 100%. Then, remove the handlebar cover. Then, remove the screws holding the assembly with the starter switch, turn flasher, bc etc.. This assembly has a channel slot, that keeps the throttle from sliding off the handlebar.

I did it in conjunction with a throttle cable upgrade. I don't remember how I dealt with the attached throttle cables.

Last edited by seahabit; Sep 29th, 2011 at 12:18 am.
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 10:05 am

Quote:
Yes, I already have the grip puppies.

I haven't yet tried the Cramp Buster. Does it work OK over the puppies or do you have to trim the foam out of the way?

Also, what did you try to reduce the throttle spring tension? Did you try to adjust the springs or did you try something else?
Nah, I just greased/lubed everything up and while it did seem to be smoother I don't think it did anything to change the tension. I never really tried to mod the springs but I would replace them versus snipping them. Never had much luck doing that since they always seem to break.

Interesting how this is an ongoing issue - the old Airheads had the same problem - although I never thought it was a big deal. There are still aftermarket spring kits to lessen the tension still available for them!

Have you ever thought maybe you just have a limp wrist?

The cramp buster stays put with the grip puppies, no problem

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Another note of caution on the Cramp Buster. If you are aggressively riding the twisties, it's easy to think you've let off the throttle, when your wrist is still holding it open. Several years ago, I came REAL close to stuffing a Harley into a ditch when I did that exact thing. After leaving most of the chrome on the left floorboards on the pavement, I did manage to get through the turn without a low side. I immediately stopped the bike, removed the Cramp Buster and threw it in the weeds. I would NEVER use one again.
Wow, I love mine!

I've had to tweak the angle to get it just right, or what you described can easily happen. I didn't get the King Kong sized one since I figured it would get in the way.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 10:10 am

Hi Ron

"I just greased/lubed everything.." What did you grease and lube? Lube the cables?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Hi Ron

"I just greased/lubed everything.." What did you grease and lube? Lube the cables?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
Ya' know Bob, it's been years since I did (7 or 8?) it so I don't remember for sure, but basically everything in the linkage that moved including drizzling Teflon lube into the cables over a couple of days and letting gravity do it's thing. Probably a waste of time on that one and I may have even made it worse since I don't think you are supposed to lube them.

I was trying to remedy the early "stiff throttle" blues but it didn't work until I put in the updated cables - which still require a pretty strong twist of the wrist - in my opinion.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks Ron

I found an old link from Dave S about lubing his cables with teflon fluid.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Nah, I just greased/lubed everything up and while it did seem to be smoother I don't think it did anything to change the tension. I never really tried to mod the springs but I would replace them versus snipping them. Never had much luck doing that since they always seem to break.

Interesting how this is an ongoing issue - the old Airheads had the same problem - although I never thought it was a big deal. There are still aftermarket spring kits to lessen the tension still available for them!

Have you ever thought maybe you just have a limp wrist?

The cramp buster stays put with the grip puppies, no problem
I have no plans to cut the springs, just unhook one end and take a partial turn out of it before hooking the end again.

Nah, my .45 auto cycles just fine. No limp wrist here. Just too many years of running chainsaws and other such abuse.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Garage

Just replaced the cables on my 03.
Made at big difference. Don't even think about it now.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Quote:
I have no plans to cut the springs, just unhook one end and take a partial turn out of it before hooking the end again.

Nah, my .45 auto cycles just fine. No limp wrist here. Just too many years of running chainsaws and other such abuse.
Ah, gotcha' - I didn't try that. I just took the path of least resistance. That was a joke.

I'm gettin' really lazy doing LT mods in my fast approaching golden years - but I am eyeballing a 1600GTL! Still can't understand why the top case needs to bounce up and down so much. I actually had a sales guy tell me that some SO's actually like the flexing.

I've been partial to my USA made Kahr 4048 as of late. Tastes great - less filling!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in