Buying a K1200LT Today! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Buying a K1200LT Today!

So excited.... got a good deal haha. Reason being - the kickstand and mount have sheared from the engine - seller is telling me its leaking from that area. Still runs and rideable short distance but leaking.

Is this a common occurrence? Anyone ever seen this before? Centerstand is still intact.

Will updated more when I get the bike and get home. Bikes a 99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 5:56 pm

Re: Buying a K1200LT Today!

Welcome to the BMW forum...what do you consider a good deal on your bike? You have to remember, the parts and labor are expensive on this bike. Keep the following in mind when buying a bike:

1. Current and Future Repairs
2. Depreciation as compared to a newer bike.
3. Being a 1999.
post #3 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The kick stand and center stand are both on the same mount and it bolts into the transmission. If that is sheared off you will be leaking tranny fluid. The case can be welded but it is a bear to pull it all out. Hope you got a really good deal. I know where a good tranny is up in Ontario.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Yes it is leaking trans fluid is what I was told. Why teh downplay on the 99s, are they a crappy year? LOL. Book value for the bike is still almost $7k. Are they worth substantially less than KBB in good condition?

Ill be home with the bike in an hour or so. I figure parts alone on the bike would add up to a few grand parting out?
post #5 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:46 pm

I would be shocked if the book value on this bike is $7K. I paid $9.3K last year on an 05 with 8,300 miles. I was thinking about $3.2K to $3.7k on this bike based on the year and repairs.

I might be out of touch with the bikes value, so I will let the other experts chime in.
post #6 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Blue book on the 99 K1200LT in my area - California coast - from KBBs site is $6,760.

I got the bike - it is in pristine shape, never down, with custom paintwork, a huge rear box, a HUGER rear box that converts the bike to a solo seat I believe, and a flatbed rear rack. Currently registered until August of 2012. Ill post pictures in a bit - got the bike for $800. Bike runs and drives fine, has an EVER so small leak - I mean a drop a day it looks like.

A few pics:

Last edited by SikMoto; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 8:58 pm.
post #7 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 12:55 am

I see something down there like a stand.
post #8 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 6:02 am

Welcome to the forum!
Looks to me like you got a helluva deal. The center stand appears to be zip tied up. Is the spring anchor points gone as well? Hopefully, a good welder can put everything right. Still, if you have to get a different tranny, by the looks of the background in your garage you have the ability to do the work yourself. Shoot, if it all goes south you could part the bike out and triple your money.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #9 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 6:50 am

Congratulations on your purchase. There are plenty of '99 LT owners here that will proudly tell you they are the most stable handling vintage of LT and all speeds, and they don't have that ridiculouse linked braking system that is a problem. Get your leaks fixed and get yourself another stand and ride until your backside hurts.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #10 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:50 am

Well, you stole it...just have to ride it like that! Sounds like a great deal! Any money you put into the bike is well spent.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #11 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:01 am

Wink Re: Buying a K1200LT Today!

+1 on that! And, if you don't have the money to fix it, the parts alone will be worth way more than what you paid for it!

Wish I was you. And welcome to our world!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross
Well, you stole it...just have to ride it like that! Sounds like a great deal! Any money you put into the bike is well spent.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:08 am

Welcome to our world!
The first and very cheap upgrade you need to do is tether the mirrors. You don't want your "investment" [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] to fall apart as those mirrors are darn expensive.

After a small debacle created by the infamous BMW of Hollywood my 99 got the center stand torn of the transmission casing. They got someone to weld it back for around $900 a few years back, so it can be done.
You should post pictures of the leak so we can rule out a bad seal that could/will take your clutch out.
$800 for that bike is a real deal! Congrats!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the support guys! I buy and sell a ton of bikes, and love the deals for sure. 6 months ago I scored a KTM Duke II Supermoto for $200 in running excellent condition with clean clear title! The husband was whipped - they were moving and the wife said the bike was NOT going to the new house!

Anyway, I basically got this home last night and leaned it up against my tire changer where it is now in the pictures LOL. Today Ill pull some other bikes out of the garage and get this thing secured on the lift for an inspection and some more pictures.

Yes, as mentioned the stand is zip tied up and out of the way and there are a few drips on the ground. I would love to jbweld the hole or somehow temporarily patch it up and go for a little ride to check it out

Ive got 2 07 R1200RTPs and have had an 1100RTP so not my first BMW, but my first LT.

This thing really has reverse?? Do I need to know anything special to use it?
post #14 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:51 am

Better than JBWeld is Devcon. You can get it in just about any metal you want. Very strong filler. I used it for years to stuff cases on 2 stroke engines. Read the directions and follow them. Make sure the area is clean and free of oils.
post #15 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbweldor
Better than JBWeld is Devcon. You can get it in just about any metal you want. Very strong filler. I used it for years to stuff cases on 2 stroke engines. Read the directions and follow them. Make sure the area is clean and free of oils.
i'm thinkin that if you can get it clean enough to glue you can get it clean enough to weld. could you drain the oil and lay it on its side and weld it?
john
post #16 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Garage

Hey you sound like a Wall St. guy
Buy and sell. Great deal no matter which way you go. But if you decide to fix and keep then I say welcome to the LT club. As you said you are already a member of the BMW family. You did say pristine and not pin-striped
ride safe
post #17 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Well, heres a couple of shots showing the initial condition form underneath. Im going to cut away all the zipties and see if I can get the stand free. Is there a way I can bypass the sidestand switch? Id like to have the bike ridable without the stand attached, so I need to know if the bike will run with it disconnected (doubtful) or if I can jumper a connector or something. Thanks!

post #18 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

And here are pics of that darned kickstand....

post #19 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 2:48 pm

reverse is actually the starter motor............
With bike running,
Put it in reverse and press the starter button

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #20 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for that! I would have been sitting there in R and revving it up
post #21 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Cool Re: Buying a K1200LT Today!

You may have lucked out on the Center/Side stand mount! I do not see any oil on the 4 broken cast pieces. If the oil is not from one of the four mounting points, where is it coming from? Cause there is a lot of it under there.

Good Luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #22 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 3:56 pm

I agree with John, you need to look further, the bike bottomed out on something and engine pan could be damaged, saw a K100 years ago that somehow had hit something small crushing the 4 pipes very sharply up breaking an engine mount from the block - bodywork was all OK

It may only leak while it is being driven and not at all when sitting - residual oil dripping when you stop - still a hell of a deal

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #23 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Drjohn55
In order to weld aluminum you will have to clean a significantly larger area than to use an adhesive. When the aluminum heats up into an austenic stage it will draw impurities into the heat affected area and contaminate the aluminum therfore preventing a proper bond of the base and the filler metals.
post #24 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Yup - it appears that the oil leak is not a DIRECT result of the kickstand breaking off. Have yet to see if its an indirect one.

I just got back from a 40 mile ride with no issues other than the clutch seems to slip and I smell trans fluid under hard accel - seems like a main seal leak or something else contaminating the clutch and leaking out.

Going to throw it up on the lift and look further this evening.
post #25 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Garage

You seem well equipted and knowledgeable about bikes but hopefully you don't run into a situation where you have to get off on one of your test rides. Like to gas up or other. 800 pounds is a lot of weight. Can you simply add a side stand to the frame? Also you are an excellent photographer. keep the updates coming (when you have time of course).
ride safe
post #26 of 33 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMoto
Yup - it appears that the oil leak is not a DIRECT result of the kickstand breaking off. Have yet to see if its an indirect one.

I just got back from a 40 mile ride with no issues other than the clutch seems to slip and I smell trans fluid under hard accel - seems like a main seal leak or something else contaminating the clutch and leaking out.

Going to throw it up on the lift and look further this evening.
I'd check the clutch slave cylinder. and/or drill a weep hole.... see if any fluid comes out ... heck, there might be a weep hole already drilled... that may be where it's coming from..

but to answer your sidestand switch question...
You can hotwire it by joining the Brown and white wires leave the red wire alone.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #27 of 33 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Got the sidestand switch all taken care of, thanks.

I think I am going to part this bike out. Any estimates of value, or interest? Only 23k miles.
post #28 of 33 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I'm gonna have to replace my top box eventually. Got drenched in a tropical storm over Labor Day weekend and had about an inch of water swishing around in the top box. Shouldn't be too hard to get painted white right? I'm on a '99 too so should bolt right on.

If the ABS system is in working order, I'd be interested in all of it (I don't know what part of mine isn't working properly...I just know I'm SICK of the wig wagging lights!)

That looks to me like the stock windshield right? I've got an aftermarket shield on mine that's too tall for me...I like to have it down in the summer and in the twisties but I have to sit up as tall as I possibly can...stretching beyond comfortable...to see over the thing. I think a stock shield might be my answer. So interested in that too!

Any of you long time LT owners...I've got 74K on my '99. Anything else I need to look at getting off this part-out?

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #29 of 33 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1worshipguy
I'm gonna have to replace my top box eventually. Got drenched in a tropical storm over Labor Day weekend and had about an inch of water swishing around in the top box. Shouldn't be too hard to get painted white right? I'm on a '99 too so should bolt right on.

If the ABS system is in working order, I'd be interested in all of it (I don't know what part of mine isn't working properly...I just know I'm SICK of the wig wagging lights!)

That looks to me like the stock windshield right? I've got an aftermarket shield on mine that's too tall for me...I like to have it down in the summer and in the twisties but I have to sit up as tall as I possibly can...stretching beyond comfortable...to see over the thing. I think a stock shield might be my answer. So interested in that too!

Any of you long time LT owners...I've got 74K on my '99. Anything else I need to look at getting off this part-out?
The final drive maybe? Mirrors. Foot pegs.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #30 of 33 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Oh yeah...I also need to replace the passenger seat and passenger back rest due to several cracks/tears in the seat. And I wouldn't mind having a back up set of mirrors or the final drive too! So look, within one day you've already parted out all the good stuff to me and I'm sure it's all worth more than you paid for the whole bike. Matter of fact...I'll give you the $800 back for the whole bike! (just kidding, I know that's silly).

But I am serious about needing all that stuff. Not a ton of '99 parts out there as far as I've been able to find.

I'm willing to chat about it all...just gotta figure out what I can afford on a pastors salary!

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #31 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Haha ok, I will send you a message if I decide to part it out.

Along with the box thats installed on the bike - I got this rack pictured below, and this other huge case - are these factory BMW items or aftermarket?

post #32 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 2:04 pm

The upper pic is a homemade rack designed to fit to the rear of the LT when the top case/trunk is not on. It bolts down to the place where the OEM trunk would bolt. The lower pics is a Corbin aftermarket 'Smuggler' rear case that replaces the OEM trunk and the passenger seat. Pricing is available at Corbin's website.

You have any idea where that bike spent it's early days?? I think I've seen it before, but can't remember the details. Good luck on your project - nice find for the price - real nice!
post #33 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

No idea on location - it was in Morro Bay, CA when I got it and Im here in San Luis Obispo. It does have 24k miles, so maybe its made its rounds

Hmm, so homemade on that rack eh. Any idea what type of price that would fetch, or is anyone interested in it here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in