DDM Tuning HID - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

DDM Tuning HID

Yes, another HID install post.....

I installed a low beam DDM HID on my '00 LT. I did it from the "bottom" and it took less than an hour. Pretty simple all in all. But, to be honest, I have a friend who worked for the phone company at one time and he has all kinds of tie-wrap adhesive holders. Industrial type stuff. That made it simple to attach the ballast etc to the bike. The hardest part was getting the two little spring clips that hold the bulb in place latched, but that would be the same with a simple bulb replacement.

I took the cover off the back of the lights and drilled a 7/8 inch hole on the "arrow." I cut two small notches directly across from each other at the holes edge to allow the locking clips of one of the connectors to pass through and pulled the wires and grommet into place. Then I went back to the bike and installed the bulb. (Wrestled with those stupid clips for 10 minutes,) The red wire from the HID goes into the old bulb socket on the yellow wire, and the black wire on the HID kid plugs into the brown wire. Plugged the HID stuff together and tie-wrapped them up under the nose. Started the bike and admired the beautiful glow.

As for DDM. The "Kit" it's self is good stuff. Small, thin and easy to stash. It's also shock proof, water proof and "Lifetime Guarantee." But thats all thats in the kit. ZERO instructions. Pretty easy to figure out, but still.

As for "Customer Service," don't even try. I wont go through the long long long story of trying to reach them, but don't even try unless you absolutely have to. And don't be in a hurry. The order is shipped from China and it took mine 18 days.

Anyhow, any of you purchasing DDM Tuning HID lights and have a question, PM me and I'll tell you how I did it. Just keep in mind my LT is a 2000. Seems to me there is a difference with the newer bikes.

Joel

2000 K1200LT (Does LT really stand for Light TRuck?)
2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Re: DDM Tuning HID

Been there and done that ... hopefully you ONLY used the OEM power at bulb to trip a relay and got power for ballast battery direct ?

Many have done it both ways, but being the ballast during start up pulls near 3 fold the OEM bulbs 55 watts at start up, some have smoked there bikes wiring as well.

JMO ... nuttin more

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 4 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:28 pm

Just installed a 55W 6000K DDM system. Yup - no instructions, but I ran a relay coz I'm aware of the extra current draw during warm up. The light is amazing - it's truly like looking into the sun (i.e. ouch!).

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 9:05 pm

I bought my LT late August .... headlight (low beam) didn't work ... from a dealer ... bike is currently in the shop to have headlight fixed at their expense .... it's an 06, if this light goes out can I replace it with the DDM HID? Is the DDM HID brighter than the Xenon the 06 comes with? Is $243 for a bulb and 3 hours labor to replace normal?

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in