2005 K1200LT brake flush issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

2005 K1200LT brake flush issues

All -

I just finished Saturday flushing the brakes on my '05 for the first time since I've owned it (1 year).

Followed John Z.'s DVD and all appeared to go smoothly..along with the short test ride (>5 miles) to ensure no ABS warning lights and good braking power - no issues observed.

Fast forward to last night - I happened to glance down on the carport floor and noticed a "puddle" of brake fluid! In the 12 months since I have had the bike, it hasn't deposited a drop of anything on the floor. It was getting late, but I thought I could see where it had run from the vicinity of the ABS module on the LH side. I wiped down what I could and then proceeded to static-test the brakes for a few minutes with the bike idling. Didn't immediately see anything appear, but there were a few drops on the concrete this morning and a good bit larger amount when I got home from work tonight.

I'm not good at estimating amounts, but I'd say a half teaspoon? Took the Tupperware
back off and examined everything under a strong light. Thought I might have seen residue underneath the reservoir cap for the rear wheel circuit. Opened the reservoir caps on both front/rear and verified sufficient fluid levels and then tightened them back as far as I dared - definitely tighter than last time. Wiped everything down again and then proceeded to static-test like last night - didn't see anything leaking, but who knows?

Any ideas or suggestions? What's the torque on those caps? What happens if you overfill the reservoirs, etc.?

We leave on a multi-day trip Saturday morning and this is the last thing I want to worry about! TIA - Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 6:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 2005 K1200LT brake flush issues

I answered your PM already but now I see you looked into the reservoirs after riding the bike and saw they were full. If you are seeing fluid at the top that is your issue. You need to fill the 05 and up reservoirs with the pistons fully pressed back in the calipers. Then when you seat the pads the level will drop and there will be no heat related expansion leaks out the vent caps. You should not see fluid at the top of the reservoir unless your pads are brand new and still the level should be down some. These reservoir sensors are not as fussy as the early bikes. When you get the wig wag it is time for new pads on the 05 + version. But let me know if the leak persists. May want to check the 7mm bleed ports to make sure they are snug. Also look for evidence of spilt fluid during the flush (I always spill a small amount).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: 2005 K1200LT brake flush issues

There is a tray under the ABS unit that can catch and hold brake fluid that is spilled during the flush. This eventually leaks down on the left side of the bike and onto the exhaust. I had a little spill and the residual dripping lasted for days. Unless you can see an obvious leak, it very likely that this is all you are seeing. Take it out for a ride spirited ride and then let it sit for a few hours with paper towels under it.

Last edited by tonygret; Sep 22nd, 2011 at 10:03 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in