Just a quick introduction... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Just a quick introduction...

Hello LT enthustists!

My name is Russ and I have been fortunate enough to ride an LT a couple times a year since the spring of 2003. That is when my father (1beemerbob), a long time member here, purchased his 2000 Anthracite beauty. He has been a lifelong ethusiast and purchased (and assembled) his first BMW when I was just a young boy. He worked part time assembling bikes at a Yamaha shop in GA that also sold BMWs. My earliest memories of spending time with him were at the moto-x track.

I am an avid enthusiast of anything that makes noise and goes fast. One of my great pleasures is being a coordinator for Cars and Coffee Williamsburg. We have an event the third Saturday of every month and I get to spend the day with 150-250 people that share my passion and their beautiful machines. Motorcycles are more than welcome, of course. I currently have an Aztec Red 1990 300ZX TwinTurbo with a lot of upgrades and a Black Cherry 2010 370Z Roadster Sport/Touring/Nav that has already started a transformation with bolt on mods and suspension upgrades. I do almost all of my own work and have a background as a nuclear machinist so I have turned a wrench or two.

A few weekends ago, I called my father to ask if I could borrow the LT as my wife an I had been invited on a half day trip to grab brunch and visit a local winery. He stated that I was always welcome to it but it hadn't been started since last year and was burried in the garage. He also mentioned that that last time he attempted to start it, he had not been successful. I spoke with my mother the following day and she told me that he had contemplated getting rid of the LT. I told her to let him know that I would be happy to come over and help him get it running so that he could at least show it.

A few days later, I called to touch base with them and he mentioned the conversation that I had with my mom. He told me very matter of factly "I have decided to get rid of it because I am giving it to you." I was completely dumbfounded... more stunned. All I could manage to say was "Are you sure that's what you want to do?" To which he replied in the same voice I get when I try to get a dinner check from him "YES, I'M SURE" and that was that.

The following weekend I went over to help him dig it out of the garage. By the time I arrived he had the path cleared and was ready to roll it out. My mom asked if I wanted a cup of coffee so I stepped in the house. To my surprise, as I prepared my cup, the LT came to life. After sitting all that time, she woke right up. We did an inspection and filled the front brake resivouir and took her for a quick shakedown ride. Little sputtering but a couple of tanks with Seafoam have cured that.

The rest, as they say, is history. Or rather, will be history. I had forgotten how much I truly love being on two wheels. I could not express my gratitude adequately! Not only for this incredible gift, but for everything you have taught me over the years. I love you, Pop! You can borrow her anytime you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 2:54 pm

Re: Just a quick introduction...

That is a great story and makes me think of all the things my Dad does for me as well. It is funny, I am almost 50 and he is still surprising me like your Dad did you.

Enjoy the bike and ride it with pride like you Dad did.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 3:12 pm

Russ,
Great story......enjoy your LT.

Glad you're here.....moves me a one notch further away from the "newest kid" status in this group.
JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 3:57 pm

What a wonderful story Russ and a wonderful Dad, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 4:26 pm

Sounds a lot like my Dad, I'm 49 and miss it a lot dropping in for a coffee but 8000+ kms and ocean makes it harder.
Enjoy the ride and your Dad's company.
Csaba
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:40 pm

What a great story, it also reminds me of my dad!!

Welcome to the forum. This is a great site!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #7 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:49 pm

Very happy for you when i was 40 my dad called me over to "help do a valve job" on his 94 r1100rs and when we were done he threw the keys to me and said "she is all yours now". Needless to say i was very surprised. Two years later i am now riding an 05 LT and i am VERY happy to be back on two wheels also. ENJOY THE LT!!
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 6:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Great story but quit making me miss my dad!

Enjoy the ride and welcome.

-Preston

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thank you all for the welcome! Look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Hope to be able to contribute to the forum and the LT community.

I see that some of you are close enough to join us and share you rides at C&C WB at the Williamsburg Winery. We would love to have you. Last weekend's event was postponed to this Saturday due to the wet weather. I won't make it because I have to fly out to the west coast Friday.

Check out our site... www.carsandcoffeewilliamsburg.com and click our Face Book link.

post #10 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:59 am

A great intro story, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:38 am

Now you've gone and done it. You have to choose which play to to use.

Since I live in Tucson, I no longer own a car.

I plan on keeping my 00 till she hits the 100K mark. Then I'll probably look for a used model that replaces the LT.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm
cws

Garage

great story.... you're one lucky lad

No way my sons (I've got 3 of em) are getting my bike....
they trashed one car I gave them.... so the closest they get to the LT is on the back seat... heh, heh...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in