VOICE/Headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 7:15 am Thread Starter

VOICE/Headset

Need some help!
I've purchased a pair of used J&M headsets, unfortunately didn't come with any literature. Successfully installed them in the helmets, read through the various posts I could find on the forum, radio, CD works. The intercom is a different story, no joy there. I think all the settings are OK, Vspeed off, mic settings ok, has to be some hardware issue.
Can't pinpoint exactly the J&M model I have - the lower cord has a PM marking on a grey ring, the upper cord has a PAL marking on a similar grey ring, the mic is marked dual. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Csaba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 7:31 am

Re: VOICE/Headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFly62
Need some help!
I've purchased a pair of used J&M headsets, unfortunately didn't come with any literature. Successfully installed them in the helmets, read through the various posts I could find on the forum, radio, CD works. The intercom is a different story, no joy there. I think all the settings are OK, Vspeed off, mic settings ok, has to be some hardware issue.
Can't pinpoint exactly the J&M model I have - the lower cord has a PM marking on a grey ring, the upper cord has a PAL marking on a similar grey ring, the mic is marked dual. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Csaba
This page will have some of the cords listed that you have, and you can continue throughout the website for additional info on the J&M systems. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:20 pm

Hello Csaba,

I know you have the manual for the communication system that came with the bike. There is no adjustment at the headset so you would have to confirm that the system is properly set up for communication with the passenger. Since it is a J&M product it should work for the intercom.

Let me know if you have any difficulties and I can go through the set-up with you based on how my bike is set-up. I have the Elite series headset but that should not matter.

The other thing I noticed is that the intercom is activated by speaking in a louder voice to overcome the radio. If you speak too softly it will not recognize the intercom. Once recognized, you will be able to speak normally depending on how much background noise you are experiencing.

Hope this helps...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Settings were all ok. The problem was the lower cord, what I had was a PM, what I needed is a PJM.
Called J&M tech support, not impressed by the way, they told me the cord was the right one and that the mics were gone. That just didn't sound right two mics?! In all fairness I could not tell them the headset models I have, could only give an educated guess, however it should not matter, the lower cord is the "adaptor" to different bikes.

Long story short the intercom works.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Garage

I got my lower cord at the dealer. So no error there. And use JM Elite w/boom mic on Multitec works except for the times I don't speak loudly enough. Great yours now works.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in