Slipstreamer Windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Slipstreamer Windshield

I can't find any mention of Slipstreamer Windshields. They are around a $100 from http://www.chromeworld.com/ Has anyone tried them? I know they're thin .177" acrylic and for sure not as good as polycarbonate, but for $100...

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Thumbs up Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

I have one and was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it but for the difference in price I could afod to take a chance. I elected to get one of the smoked ones which also had me concerned. I was pleasantly surprised and so far happy with the purchase. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but so far thumbs up . The fit and finish are good with good optical clarity. I personally prefer to look over the windshield but when I put it up for protection from rain it is fine and the smoked version is very slight. I have read many reviews on products and I am probably not as discriminating as some of our members so if you live on the East Coast you can check mine out if you like. I will be at VIR this coming weekend for the ASRA races.
post #3 of 26 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWROLLIN
I have one and was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it but for the difference in price I could afod to take a chance. I elected to get one of the smoked ones which also had me concerned. I was pleasantly surprised and so far happy with the purchase. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but so far thumbs up . The fit and finish are good with good optical clarity. I personally prefer to look over the windshield but when I put it up for protection from rain it is fine and the smoked version is very slight. I have read many reviews on products and I am probably not as discriminating as some of our members so if you live on the East Coast you can check mine out if you like. I will be at VIR this coming weekend for the ASRA races.
Thanks BMWROLLIN that's exactly the response I was looking for. I too was thinking about getting the tinted one so this really helps me make up my mind. I'm not sure how much longer I will have this bike so spending $$$ on it is hard to do. Thanks again for your feedback.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS

post #4 of 26 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:33 am Thread Starter

BMWROLLIN How did the Slipstream windshield compare dimensionally to the original. The reason I ask is that in the picture on their web site it would appear that it is cut narrower than the stock shield.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #5 of 26 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:32 pm

I have one on mine. Bought the bike used, had the short stock one on. Was totally useless to me. I found that it looked narrower, but because it is so much taller it was just an illusion. It's the same width, or at least pretty damn close to it. It's served me well so far, especially for what I paid for it.
post #6 of 26 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 3:28 pm

Cool Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

I too believe it to be an illusion. It is cut slightly different at the top corners but the overall width is very close. As I indicated I only have several hundred miles with the shield and am satisfied with the fit, finish, and protection that the shield provides.
post #7 of 26 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for you feedback I found one for less than $100 Std. Tint at chrome-addition.com
I'll be ordering it tomorrow

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #8 of 26 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm

Smile Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

Hope it works out for you!
post #9 of 26 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Well if it turns out to be a POS then I'm out a hundred bucks. Wouldn't be the first nor probably be the last of my money pissed away on a bike. Thanks again for helping me out. This forum has made owning this bike tolerable. I'll probably jinks it but thanks to all you guys, and some of my own engineering, I think I've finally fixed all (except for the radio) the things that BMW refuses to acknowledge they screwed up and it's actually going to be a very reliable bike. At least now If I do end up selling it I can do so with a clear conscience.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Initial Impression Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

I received the Slipstreamer in perfect condition and put it on Saturday. It took 10 minutes and fit perfectly. Initial impression is that it is more than I had hoped for $89, and better than the stock shield. It’s thinner, lighter, more rigid and does not flex around as much as the original shield. It just might be the best $89 I’ve spent on this bike yet. I’ll report back in a year and let everyone know how it has held up. I got the tinted stock size.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Would you mind getting a measure on the height of the 'stock' slipstream. Best I can tell somewhere along the years stock height went to a short model so I'm trying to determine if the Stock height of the slipstream equals the stock height of my 2002 or some other year.

Thanks

-Preston

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

The shield measures 24” which is also per their web site. With the shield all the way down it’s 16.63” from the horizontal surface just above the radio LCD display to the top of the shield. Hope that helps.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks every time I googled it I always ended up at resellers and couldn't find the height mentioned ... knock myself on the back of the head for not looking for the manufactures site! Thanks much for the measure...

-Preston

-Preston

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Well, sometimes just because it says so on the web site doesn't mean its so. Always better to have someone double check what is claimed. I'm 6'1" and the "standard" (24") is what I would choose again. I like to look well over the shield and the tinted looks really nice on the bike.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #15 of 26 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:36 pm

After having a Cee Baileys windshield with horrible distortion, I had a mishap at a gas station which caused me to search for a new windshield.(I will explain privately if you want to hear about my cracked rib and bruised ego). I read all of the forums here, looked at company websites, and decided to take a chance on a Slipstreamer windshield for less than $100. I had concerns, but as others have mentioned, even if it was awful, it would only be a $100 experiment. I got the shield within two days, mounted it and took it for a ride. It is head and shoulders better than the old Cee Baileys I had on there. The clarity is excellent, and it is plenty rigid. I can't believe anyone would consider paying $400 for another type. The Slipstreamer is a total winner!
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

I've got about 1000 miles on mine now and I couldn't be happier. I'm not easily impressed and time will tell if that remains to be true. I have the tinted version and it just looks perfect on the bike. Chrome Addiction less than $89 delivered. I wish they made seats.

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I just called Chrome Addictions and ordered my windshield. During the ordering process, I asked the person taking the order what size the "standard" windshield was -- he called the warehouse and was told it was 24". So whoever mentioned that it was 24" was correct.

Total cost was $94.14 as I had to pay $7.99 for shipping. So for less than $100, I get to replace my 17" windshield (I am 6-2) for a taller one that could prove to make the ride more enjoyable. Hope this helps.

Glenn
post #18 of 26 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

I placed a SlipStreamer windshield on the Bike this weekend replacing the OEM. Fit and Finish are nice, the sides have a slightly different cut than stock, but the clarity is great, I can actually look through the windshield. I don't notice much of a difference in air flow over the stock so thats a plus and you cant beat the $86.00 price tag. I may try one of the fancier shields later, but wasn't in the budget this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

-Preston

post #19 of 26 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:00 am

Considering purchasing a tinted slipstreamer. Can anyone provide a photo of one on their bike?

Craig
Brooksville FL
2006 BMW K1200LT
post #20 of 26 Old Mar 24th, 2013, 1:25 am

it is the first upgrade i done on my ride and i would say, $$ well spend... one little trouble is the previous have dropped the bike on its right side and i am not too sure is it the main cause of the screen not being able to lowered fully into position as it will be obstruct by the fairing... it happens with the original screen before i removed it too so it should not be the new screen is off specs....

secondly, how to dispel rain drops while riding under rain!!

now i am wondering how to get it lowered all the way...
post #21 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 6:02 am

For those of you that have logged miles w/ the new slipstream... Do you notice any difference in airflow w/ the new shield? Is the shape diff than stock to help push the air out and away from your shoulders? I'm 6'2" and fell like I get quite a bit of wind noise and buffeting. I too like looking over the shield... Thanks for your input and thoughts!
post #22 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 6:34 am

I just got my SlipStreamer yesterday and I installed it. I got the +2" model. The shape is different than stock. I took the bike out for a short test and got to 45 MPH and already know that its not hugely better than stock. I'mm reserve final judgement until I get the bike up to 65 MPH and test various hieghts but I dont expect it to be too much better than stock.

I'm 6'1" and looking over it at 45 MPH still produced alot of wind noise and air in my face.

Craig
Brooksville FL
2006 BMW K1200LT
post #23 of 26 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 7:31 am

I purchased mine from Chromeworld last week. The install was easy and I like the clarity of the Slipstreamer. My first ride impression is that the Slipstreamer makes more wind noise and I can hear the wind while listening to music and communicating over the intercom.
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 7:50 am

I had a better chance to evaluate the slipstreamer +2" model. The clarity is better than stock. This was the initial motive in replacing it. This it accomplishes. I find for me at 6'1" the best position is max up. I ride with a 3/4 face helmet and dont like the wind directly on my face. I'm looking through the windshield obviously. In this position I find windnoise acceptable and no buffeting on my head.

Biggest disappointment is when I lower the windshield all the way, it catches on the painted fairing on one side. Not sure of there is anything I can do but ask for a replacement.

Craig
Brooksville FL
2006 BMW K1200LT
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 12:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I put about 8K on last season with the Slipstreamer standard height, when it is down I do notice wind noise, but cant say it's any more than stock at full up it's pretty quiet behind it. Having a short torso I sit pretty low in the saddle even with the seat in the high position, so with the windshield all the way down the airflow hits me right at the top of the helmet, which is good, it lets some airflow into my helmet vents on those hot days. I may be trying trying one of the 7Jurock windshields because it can be order in more varied heights, I'd like one about an inch shorter than stock so I can look over it easier with out having to sit up so straight all of the time.

-Preston

post #26 of 26 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 8:11 pm

I spoke to the Jurock guy about a month ago, inquiring about a windscreen for the LT with a "flip" at the top. He said they were testing one at that time. Ask him about it.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in