Shift Linkage Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Shift Linkage Install

I am getting ready to install this shift linkage on my '99 LT:

BMW K1200LT Shifter Linkage Kit 6mm Mounting Studs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=120760402963#ht_602wt_1063

I looked around the HOW and FAQ and didn't see much on the adjustment of the shift linkage. Clymer doesn't say much about it either.

I read the linkage that attaches to the shift pedal adjusts the desired pedal height. With a size 10 shoe which direction works better, up or down?

What about the linkage that connects to the shift lever? Do you just measure it before you disassemble and put it back the same?

Also wondered if the pre greased water proof ball joints still use the safety clip or are they permanently attached?

I read on one post that if you get the linkage adjusted correctly you can eliminate the "clunk".

Maybe all this will all be obvious when I get it apart. Sorry if this has been gone over before. Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 6:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Shift Linkage Install

This should shed a little light on the subject Shift .

Those ball joints do not come apart on the stuff you bought. You have to screw them in on the bike. I have been a long time proponent of the stock system being just fine if you maintain it properly. Ignore it and suffer the peril of a failed ball stud. Mine has been fault free for over 70K.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:23 pm

I'm with John on this one, the stock linkage system should be fine if it doesn't get mis-treated. "Learn" to shift in a way that doesn't stress the linkage system, by properly timed clutch action and slight preload on the gear shift lever prior to the change happening.
On my '05 I needed to slightly lower the lever height so I extended the longer of the 2 adjustable linkages by 1 turn on each of the threaded ends (m6 x 1mm pitch = 2mm) which pushed the lever down to where it felt more comportable when shifting. If you're going to make this adjustment I advise you to dismantle all the linkage system and re-lube everything including the bush on the transfer linkage. Check that all the male ball joint parts are tight while in there. This will help with smooth shifting and reduce the risk of a failure.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks JZ and Dennis. I'm still learning my way around this site. The direction you sent me was very helpful.

I'm planning a 3K ride next June. Nothing is broke on the bike right now. Just doing some preventive maintenance for the trip.

'99 LT - Don't leave the Arctic without it. (hopefully)
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 4:09 am

I echo above on the stock linkage. 50,000 trouble free miles over 8 years. I carried a spare set for an emergency that I never had along with towing straps and picture instructions. An air pump too.

I would hesitate to install a more rigid link to the transmission. It was designed the way it was for a reason. It is fairly easy to keep clean and lubed.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

I put on the new shift linkage that I described. The extra strength doesn't look like that big of a deal. The threaded rods are the same diameter.

The main benefit I see is that this is a sealed ball and socket that won't require maintenance for a long time. The shifting is smooth and solid. It also made me adjust the shift arm to the correct height. Much better. About a 2 hour job if you take your time.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:42 pm

It was a worthy investment for me when I "upgraded" the broken stock linkage with the one by Phil Johnson.
I preemptively replaced the stock shifter on my 03 with another unit from Phil.
I didn't do it on my 05 as the linkage is much beefier. I cleaned and re-lubed it just before CCR with 59k miles on the bike and the linkage was just fine; just needed a little care.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in