Gas mileage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Gas mileage

weather here in NH is getting cool. My mileage according to the BC is 45-47 in warm weather and drops to 40-42 each yr when season changes , anyone else experience this ?

Until this yr I used premium fuel, changed to regular this yr. Bike runs no differently, is there a reason to use high test. High test or reg gas makes no difference

Last edited by ltlfeat; Sep 20th, 2011 at 7:09 am. Reason: changes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Gas mileage

Well, it use to be winter fuel had less BTU per # that summer fuel. Something to do with pollution in the winter.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:08 am

I've been using regular for many years now--never heard a ping.

My gas miles per gallon is better here in ME during the summer than it is back home. During recent 4.5 hour ridings on interstates I was getting between 50 and 53 mpg.

Course it could be that back home during cool wx, they blend ethanol with the gas. And during summers back home since the temps are over 100F, the are is less dense.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:26 am

Does your state require oxygenated fuel in winter months? Some states do and that will reduce your mileage. FWIW, I only get 42 mpg running 89 octane 10% ethanol fuel.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:34 am

That's about the % mileage change I see in my bikes between gas w/o ethanol...and 10% ethanol blend. If your locale is switching between the two seasonally, that's a likely guess.

Temp change alone wouldn't cause that sort of fuel consumption difference. If anything......motors run better in cool weather because the air's more dense.....more oxygen per intake stroke.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ping or no ping it is always better to run premium especially in the higher compression 05 and up bikes. You may not hear the ping but it is still there attempting to fracture the piston ring lands. When that happens your oil mileage (not fuel mileage) will go down. There is no knock sensor on the LT.

I have pulled one enginge apart where every piston had the ring lands fractured. One was so bad the ring broke and scored the cylinder wall essentially destroying that block. Oh and it was still running fine just using more oil than it should have.

On a side note premium vs. regular has little effect on mileage. Added ethanol produces sigificant alteration of mileage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 7 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Ping or no ping it is always better to run premium especially in the higher compression 05 and up bikes. You may not hear the ping but it is still there attempting to fracture the piston ring lands. When that happens your oil mileage (not fuel mileage) will go down. There is no knock sensor on the LT.

I have pulled one enginge apart where every piston had the ring lands fractured. One was so bad the ring broke and scored the cylinder wall essentially destroying that block. Oh and it was still running fine just using more oil than it should have.

On a side note premium vs. regular has little effect on mileage. Added ethanol produces sigificant alteration of mileage.
I totally agree.
I don't have the knowledge or engineering background of fuel mixture as oppose to effect on engines but 2 things.
That's one of the things mentioned during my first dress down, USE PREMIUM. And as much as I am tempted to do otherwise with the gas prices in Chicago I force myself not to since I look at the bigger picture of protecting my investment.
LT's aren't cheap
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in