K12LT Headlight Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

K12LT Headlight Problem

I just finished replacing the low beam bulb in my 03 K12LT. While I was attempting to replace the dust cover, the wire that secures the cover popped out of place and landed on the garage floor. After a couple very frustrating hours trying to replace the wire, no luck. As I would really prefer not to take all the plastic off to replace the wire, are there any other unfortunate individuals that have a good idea how to hold the cover in place without the wire. Do I need the cover? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Re: K12LT Headlight Problem

The cover is there for a reason. You do not want to get moisture in the lens housing. The headlight is your first defense in being seen. Don't play around. Do it right or have someone do it right for you.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:17 am

Garage

I used a mirror on a jointed handle after some touchy feely hours. Finally got it.
I agree it's way too important.

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 6:23 am

Are you trying to replace it from the bottom or the top? I found it a bit easier to work from the top. Remove the windscreen and the top cover of the dash. You can get to it from there......sort of.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:13 am

As Bob posted, trying to do that from the bottom is a real PITA!!

I recently bought a small mirror on a telescoping handle so that I can look up the hole for the screws in the bottom handle bar covers. Plu, I'll be using it whenever I drop screws that wind up inside my LT. It was packaged with a magnet on a telescoping handle.

Best from Gorman ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 9:25 am

This is very good advice. Now take out just a very few more screws and drop the whole front fairing onto the front fender of your bike.

There is one sneaky little beggar (screw) that requires popping out the map light to get to. You will see it once you get the little light fixture out.

Remove the headlight adjust knob and the retaining nut behind it.

Remove the 2 screws near where the mirrors attach

It seems like there is one more screw down low in the center?

Set the fairing on a small blanket on the front fender and fix away!

It takes less than ten minutes to get it stripped down this far and will save you mucho frustration trying to use lights, smoke and mirrors!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
Are you trying to replace it from the bottom or the top? I found it a bit easier to work from the top. Remove the windscreen and the top cover of the dash. You can get to it from there......sort of.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Proof again that this forum will help with all the big and small problems. After much frustration yesterday and a busy day today, I am spending a little cool-down time from the K12 and will try again tomorrow. I have a telescoping mirror and can't believe I didn't think of that. Will probably try the mirror first although I don't have much more tolerance to lying on the garage floor trying to replace the piece of wire.
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:23 pm

As the least-mechanically inclined person on this site, I'm surprised to say that I have done this several times without ever taking body panels off. I just sit in front of the bike, facing the headlight, and reach inside and git 'r done. It helps to look at it first to see how it fits together.

Maybe I'm missing what you are describing, but that's how I do it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Well, I just had to remove the nose piece of mine to get it back on after many frustrating tries, with it in place. I had to replace my headlight adjusting cable also...so I had gone without the cover for a coupla' months...then, when I did that, my hid unit somehow shorted out and blew the ballast, so I had to replace that, also. Everything is back together and working well and Right now, so, there...lol

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:26 am

Looking back on it don't ya just wish you had removed the snout in the first place? I took the nose off of mine when I installed the HID lights. I did id it because I wanted to remove some tupperware. ANY tupperware. It was good experience for me and demonstrated that tupperware-ectomies aren't all that scary.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross
Well, I just had to remove the nose piece of mine to get it back on after many frustrating tries, with it in place. I had to replace my headlight adjusting cable also...so I had gone without the cover for a coupla' months...then, when I did that, my hid unit somehow shorted out and blew the ballast, so I had to replace that, also. Everything is back together and working well and Right now, so, there...lol

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Cover and wire are back in place. Ready to ride up to the north shore next weekend...hoping not to see temps in the 30s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in