Bike Won't Start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Bike Won't Start

History: 2002 K1200LT
Bike did not start this spring.
Bike did start last summer but I did not ride it much because I was working allot and the bike needed new tires. I stored it for the winter with not much gas in it and no fuel stabilizer.
Bike does have a new battery.
I donít have a local BMW dealer and I donít have a trailer to tow bike.
What I have done so far:
Per my previous post on this site someone suggested to jumper across fuel pump terminals with a battery charger. I took bike apart and did this and I could hear pump running.
When I put bike back together it would not start but did sputter when using starter fluid.
I checked fuse for fuel pump and it was ok.
I took gas tank off again and pulled fuel pump and hooked it back up out of the fuel tank and got nothing. I jumpered across fuel pump terminals with a screw driver and got no spark.
Not sure how much of the wiring needs to be hooked up so bike will run but pretty sure I had everything hooked up. The last time I know I did not have the tank on so there is a plug on the top of the tank near gas tap that was not connected.
Seems to me I might have an electrical problem to the fuel pump.
Thanks for any help getting bike started.
Scott G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 5:44 am

Re: Bike Won't Start

I have a feeling that you did not receive any replys because you did not furnish important information needed for a logical troubleshooting like:

1) Do you hear the stater turning the engine over - is it cranking slow or fast ?

2) Has the battery been removed since the last time the bike was functioning ?
If YES, then you should do the TPS reset trick (Ignition ON, wait 2 seconds, turn throttle fully open then fully closed 3 times, ignition OFF)

3) With the ignition ON, every time you move the kill switch from left or right to the center position, you should hear the fuel pump priming for 2 or 3 seconds. This will work if the machine is in a "starting configuration" (gear in neutral and reverse NOT engaged).

Note that the fuel pump priming can also be heard for 2/3 seconds when the ignition is turned ON, but the noise is sometimes lost among other noises (like the ABS-unit initializing)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the help i will try this tonight.
Yes the bike does crank over very fast.

Scott G.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:14 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You never said it so I have to ask - Is there fresh fuel in the tank now? The old stuff is shot. If you still have the old gas you might want to drain the fuel rail and lines before you attempt another start with fresh fuel.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Would it be safe for him to keep using the ether until his bike pulls new gas into the fuel rails?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Iíd recommend not using that much starting fluid. It doesnít take much of that stuff to wash down the cylinder walls. A little squirt for testing your system wonít hurt but donít get crazy with it.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Would it be safe for him to keep using the ether until his bike pulls new gas into the fuel rails?
Does the LT fuel pump only pressurize the rail, or does it pump at a constant rate, returning excess fuel back into the tank? If so, and it returns 'unused' fuel, the old and new will eventually mix, won't they?
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 6:46 am

All K1200 "brick engine" have a constant running fuel pump as long as the engine is turning over (based on a signal from Hall-Sensor).

The exception is when you turn the ignition ON (or the kill switch from OFF to ON) - although at this point the engine is not turning over, the Motronic will send a 2 to 3 seconds voltage to the pump to prime (pressurize) the fuel lines.

Because of this continuous running system, the extra fuel not consumed by the injectors is returned to the tank. When you look at the left side of the bike, the most forward hose attached to the fuel-rail is the pressure side (coming from the pump) - the hose more toward the rear is the "return" hose.

NOTE: the new boxer R1200 (beginning in 2005) and the new frontal 4 cylinders (K1200S, K1300, K1600) have a very different system with a fuel-pump electronic control module.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:21 am Thread Starter

2) Has the battery been removed since the last time the bike was functioning ?
If YES, then you should do the TPS reset trick (Ignition ON, wait 2 seconds, turn throttle fully open then fully closed 3 times, ignition OFF)

3) With the ignition ON, every time you move the kill switch from left or right to the center position, you should hear the fuel pump priming for 2 or 3 seconds. This will work if the machine is in a "starting configuration" (gear in neutral and reverse NOT engaged).

Note that the fuel pump priming can also be heard for 2/3 seconds when the ignition is turned ON, but the noise is sometimes lost among other noises (like the ABS-unit initializing)

The above did not help start bike.
I do hear a noise when switching ignition on and off but it is not coming from fuel pump. It seems its is coming from a control box.

Bike does turn over good.
I don't have a problem replacing fuel pump if it is bad i'm not sure if i'm getting power to the pump. Fuse is good. I did jumper over pump's terminals with battery charger and it ran.
When fuel pump is back in the bike i can not hear it run.

Thanks again for any help.
Scott G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in