Went for first test ride on an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Went for first test ride on an LT

WOW, what a difference from my Vulcan 500. Based on budget I've been looking for a 2000 - 2003. When a dealer called and said he had a 2007 I figured I may as well take it for a spin.

Have a 34" inseam but tried both the low and higher seat settings. Higher was much better in that I was able to get to the clutch and brake pedals easier. Usually a good thing to do.

The one negative I really noticed was as I went faster I was getting more and more wind pressure on my back. I'm guessing it was the wind hitting the back of the passenger seat/luggage case and wrapping around. I could imagine it wearing after spending a long time on a highway. On the other hand, it is meant for touring and plenty of you have taken yours on long trips. Would lowering the windshield or changing the little wind diverts on either side have made a difference?

I rode it for maybe 25 minutes. I have a feeling I would need to swap out the standard BMW seat in order to go for a multi-hour ride but there seems to be plenty of options for that.

Assuming tires, shocks, etc, etc, are all in good shape, is there much difference in the ride between say a 2002 and a 2007? 2005 seemed to be a big year of changes.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:03 am

Re: Went for first test ride on an LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberBoy
WOW, what a difference from my Vulcan 500. Based on budget I've been looking for a 2000 - 2003. When a dealer called and said he had a 2007 I figured I may as well take it for a spin.

Have a 34" inseam but tried both the low and higher seat settings. Higher was much better in that I was able to get to the clutch and brake pedals easier. Usually a good thing to do.

The one negative I really noticed was as I went faster I was getting more and more wind pressure on my back. I'm guessing it was the wind hitting the back of the passenger seat/luggage case and wrapping around. I could imagine it wearing after spending a long time on a highway. On the other hand, it is meant for touring and plenty of you have taken yours on long trips. Would lowering the windshield or changing the little wind diverts on either side have made a difference?

I rode it for maybe 25 minutes. I have a feeling I would need to swap out the standard BMW seat in order to go for a multi-hour ride but there seems to be plenty of options for that.

Assuming tires, shocks, etc, etc, are all in good shape, is there much difference in the ride between say a 2002 and a 2007? 2005 seemed to be a big year of changes.

Thanks...
Beginning in 2005 there was an increase in horse power, +15 or 16 or so I believe, and a slight increase in front fork rake making some small improvement in slow speed handling. The instrument layout and digital readout for radio and on-board computer were also updated. Otherwise pretty much the same animal. As far as back pressure from air flow, I've never had an issue with that after about 165,000 miles between my '99 & '05. Perhaps an adjustment of the windscreen height would alleviate any problem that you might perceive.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:15 am

Quote:

Thanks...
I happen to be off today.....so the new kid (to the list) will jump in till the old hands can answer more fully.....

'05 was the change year, as you noted....here's a bit of the list of changes that year:

- 100 hp to 116hp
- power center stand added
- LCD instrument panel added....which consolidated a lot of previously scattered information
- fork angle/trail changed to make low speed handling easier
- change to dual headlights
- "standard" windshield went from short...to previously optional tall
- the three trim/accessory configurations with different model names were discontinued. All bikes had chrome trim.....and things like the intercom etc were simply options.

'05 to '07 ........all of the above carried ....the following came sometime....might have been '07....can't remember...but changed at some point post '05

the top case rack/light became a standard item
xenon head lamp went from option to standard
Voice II intercom went from an option to factory standard for one or two years.....then withdrawn as in included item to option again...in '09
Soft Touch (more plush) seat went from option to standard

I sell (sold) these things....and own one....and should remember more, but the above is a bit of the list. BTW......my wife and I have owned two Vulcan 500s....still have one, though not on my sig file list as it's waiting for my sister to take it as hers. Going from the V500 to an LT is a change for you! :-)

Good luck!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:25 am

windscreen angle & the poistion of the air foils under the mirrors make a huge diffrence
on the back pressure you felt. mostly happens with the winshield up fairly high. also the winshield type matters my cee bailey creates a very diffrent air affect than the stock one.
with a 34 inseam also i generaly sit in the high postion & use a peg lowering kit
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:01 pm

As other have mentioned BMW supply two types of screen, the European shorter one which is standard here and a taller one which I think is standard in the US.

I prefer the shorter one as it allows me to look over the top, good when itīs raining or in town.

I have never felt buffeting with mine, also, maybe if you have a passenger, the feeling will dissapear.

Go for the 2005 and newer.
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 5:05 pm

I have a Cee Baileys windshield but the pressure you feel is from the wrap around air flow. It comes in handy on hot days, I open the vents on my jacket up in the back and get a good flow. If you lower the shield it's not as bad. I run mine just below eye level most of time except when the temps get in the 30's.
Unless you have plenty of money to blow you don't have to worry about the seat. It will provide hours and hours of comfort as a stock. The main thing you have to worry about is what you wear. People overlook their underwear when riding for hours, that is the big difference.
I went from a Kaw. 750 to my '01 and never a regret. The one thing, you will go through tires fast. It is a big heavy bike and the tires are soft and you will ride it A LOT more.

Don't read into this forum too much either, a lot of people come here for advice on repairs so it looks like there are a lot of problems with the bikes, that's not the case. It is a very good bike, just look at the mileage of some of the guys on here.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll play with deflector and shield on next ride.

I don't worry much about bad stuff said in forums. It it sort of like watching or listening to the news, mostly it is the bad stuff that gets air time. When was the last time you saw a news article about what a nice day Sally had in Houston?

When I was buying my tractor I used forums a lot. Found a good one. Did a search of words like 'problem', 'fault', 'broke', 'help', then compared those total 'complaints' against number of posts by manunfacture. The brand I was looking at turned out to have the lowest per centage of 'complaints' against posts. Also compared to number of members by manufacture, also the lowest. Not that it was the deciding factor but something I threw in the stew. Been happy with my choice ever since.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 9:34 am

Waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much analysis on which tractor to buy. Just think of your most favorite color and then go buy the green and yellow one!

Loren

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll play with deflector and shield on next ride.

I don't worry much about bad stuff said in forums. It it sort of like watching or listening to the news, mostly it is the bad stuff that gets air time. When was the last time you saw a news article about what a nice day Sally had in Houston?

When I was buying my tractor I used forums a lot. Found a good one. Did a search of words like 'problem', 'fault', 'broke', 'help', then compared those total 'complaints' against number of posts by manunfacture. The brand I was looking at turned out to have the lowest per centage of 'complaints' against posts. Also compared to number of members by manufacture, also the lowest. Not that it was the deciding factor but something I threw in the stew. Been happy with my choice ever since.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:03 pm

Garage

I have an '09/'10 LT.
I went from 16 miles to 12,300 in just a year and 5 months. I like it. The first day I rode it I was listening for a bug's whisper and I thought I was hearing things. After my 600 mile check up I was less leery of any sounds. Like you I have a long inseam so my windshield is almost at it highest position. I don't mind looking through when clean. I ride solo most of the time and can't say I feel that wind on the back you talk about. I used my wind wings/deflectors for my entire recent trip to TX. Still no buffeting or blowing complaints. Yes my Butt was Sore with the stock seat but only after 200-300 miles especially if I did little walking around before starting off again from a pit stop. The bike handles exceptionally well. And I am still getting used to it and enjoying it.
ride safe
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:10 pm

I purchased an '05 with 13,000Kms and in immaculate condition. That was in June this year, but first I test rode an '03 of a fellow rider. The engine is smoother IMO, and I think the extra power is noticeable 2-up. Instrument display is a little more modern than on the '03. If possible I would look for later than '04. As for the seating position, I added some footpeg reloactors as I too am long legged. Screen height is fine for me as standard. Try turning the lower side wind deflectors till the inside corners are level with the mirrors, then check the wind deflection with your hand whilst travelling (careful). it makes a difference. Oh, and as for the seat comfort, I use asprin, a known trick among some Oz long distance tourers, your call of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in