No comms system ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

No comms system ?

Hi, been looking at a 2002 LT and noticed that while it has the 6CD changer and the cd player in the top space there appears to be no comms. Above the cd drive these is just a black cover where I think the comms should be. There are sockets for the helmet cables and volume controls for the passenger. Does this mean there are no other comms and all I will hear in the helmet is either the radio or CDs depending on what is playing - no voice comms at all ?

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Re: No comms system ?

Did you confirm the sockets are for the helmet headset cables? They could be electrical sockets to plug in heated gear. There is one on the lower fairing by the shifter and one on the lower left front of the topcase. If the sockets are for audio connection, without a comm system, I don't know what they'd do. Previous owner could have done like I did and installed a J&M dual unit CB. I also bought the sockets and ran the plugs for the CB near them so I wouldn't have loose outlets hanging around. J&M dual unit CBs also function as an intercom.

Hope this helps.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:38 am

Only the "E" model came with a comm system installed from the factory. Might not be all that bad if it doesn't already have a comm system installed. Technology for wired and wireless systems are a little more refined than they were 9 years ago.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
Hi, been looking at a 2002 LT and noticed that while it has the 6CD changer and the cd player in the top space there appears to be no comms. Above the cd drive these is just a black cover where I think the comms should be. There are sockets for the helmet cables and volume controls for the passenger. Does this mean there are no other comms and all I will hear in the helmet is either the radio or CDs depending on what is playing - no voice comms at all ?

B

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:17 am

I had the same concerns when I first purchased my '02 LTC. Dealer said it had intercom system but when I picked up the bike, I failed to ask him to show me the system. Ended up having Autocom Pro 7 Sport located under the rear seat and interfaced with the bike's rear speakers. Cables were tied under rider seat. I then purchased headsets and the system works flawlessly.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:52 am

"If" you have an installed BMW intercom, you'll see the following..... in the glove box above your single disk cd player (older bikes had a cassette player there) there will be a control panel with some switches, knobs, and audio sockets. That's the control box for the wired intercom.

There will also be a capped socket for the rider and passenger. Lift the caps and you'll see a 6 pin DIN female socket. This is where intercom headsets plug in.

Not too many of the early LT's had this system. But some did, either from the factory....or as a dealer installed accessory.

If you are finding flip cap sockets in front and rear with just a single hole....these are DC power outlets for accessories like heated jackets, battery chargers (front one) etc.

Chances are...as others have noted, you don't have a wired intercom installed.

Good luck!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in