Roadside Assistance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Roadside Assistance

What Roadside Assistance is worth having??

Seems some only provide a few miles- not much help if you are out of town.

Suggestions?

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Roadside Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
What Roadside Assistance is worth having??

Seems some only provide a few miles- not much help if you are out of town.

Suggestions?
The Best is Good Sam RV. They will tow you to the Nearest "Authorized" repair center. For a BMW Motorcycle that is most of the time to the closest dealer. I have heard of people having their bikes towed a few hundred miles at NO COST to them. I had them on my LT for 5 years & now on my GTL. I have not had to use them yet but I am sure I will some day.
BTW I own a Motorcycle towing company & work with most Roadside companies. 50 miles or $100.00 is the normal amount most roadside service provide.

You can also look at Similar Threads at the bottom of this page. Most also use Good Sam.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I got the Allstate plan because supposedly they will tow to the nearest authorized facility. I have not had to test that yet, but the plan was recommended to me by someone who had.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Good Sam for me, had them for about 18 years and love'em.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
I got the Allstate plan because supposedly they will tow to the nearest authorized facility. I have not had to test that yet, but the plan was recommended to me by someone who had.

I had allstate for the bikes and cars. My bike broke in downtown Green Bay and they could not find a tow service and had to find my own tow and service company. My wife and I ended up in a truck with a person that had done 6 years for murder. Allstate would not re-imburse me for the tow.

I dropped them as soon as I got home. I figured if they could not find service in a big city like Green Bay I stood no chance in a rural area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 6:00 am

Good Sam.........................................
Does all our vehicles for one price (+/- 100/YR)
Used them 3 times .........no problems...............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:19 am

++ for Good Sam which is actually underwritten by Allstate. I've had that coverage for about 5 years and used it several times. Multiple roadside tire changes on the 5th wheel RV and 2X to transport my bike. Once when I totalled my GS and another for a flat tire. In all cases total satisfaction. As stated earlier it covers all my vehicles as well as any other vehicle that I'm riding in and if necessary they guarantee towing to the nearest authorized dealer.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:27 am

Have had the Allstate Road Help for several years and have used it twice; the first time the tow was over 150 miles and would have cost $423 but they covered it; we did have to wait over an hour for someone to get there. This last time we used it we had to wait less than a half hour and they towed us to a BMW Dealer which was only about 30 miles away.
post #9 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 9:08 am

Just as an aside on this thread.......sort of serious but tongue in cheek as well.

GWRRA (Gold WIng Road Riders Association) has a really nice program. Standard membership includes roadside assistance with 35 miles of free towing for any motorcycle you're operating or riding as a passenger. Family membership extends this each registered member. Membership in GWRRA that includes "this" level as a benefit for my wife and me...is $50.

But....for an additional $30 a year.....you get "Rescue Plus" for you and your other registered member. This gives you free towing up to 100 miles for "any" non commercial vehicle.

So, for $80 a year my wife and I have a joint GWRRA membership, get the "Wing World" magazine......an opportunity to join local chapter life.... (see me smiling) "and" we both get towing coverage for all our bikes, cars, pick up ,etc. for 100 mile tows...for a year.

I figured since I have my old WIng....why not! :-) I'ts a heck of a deal.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #10 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:01 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamrider
Just as an aside on this thread.......sort of serious but tongue in cheek as well.

GWRRA (Gold WIng Road Riders Association) has a really nice program. Standard membership includes roadside assistance with 35 miles of free towing for any motorcycle you're operating or riding as a passenger. Family membership extends this each registered member. Membership in GWRRA that includes "this" level as a benefit for my wife and me...is $50.

But....for an additional $30 a year.....you get "Rescue Plus" for you and your other registered member. This gives you free towing up to 100 miles for "any" non commercial vehicle.

So, for $80 a year my wife and I have a joint GWRRA membership, get the "Wing World" magazine......an opportunity to join local chapter life.... (see me smiling) "and" we both get towing coverage for all our bikes, cars, pick up ,etc. for 100 mile tows...for a year.

I figured since I have my old WIng....why not! :-) I'ts a heck of a deal.

JD
Yes BUT.... it ONLY covers 100 miles !!! For $79.95 Good Sam will tow "TO THE NEAREST" BMW Shop even if it is 300 miles away or in your case the closest Honda Shop.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:42 am

I just took a look at my Progressive Policy and their towing plan. It only covers $75.00 towing and labor costs and costs me $10.00 a year. I called Progressive and asked if there were other options for increased coverage and they said NO. I will check out Good Sam as I am looking for something to cover both cars and both bikes.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #12 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:51 am

I have Foremost insurance. They covered my tow (to a Honda dealer for a tire), and sent me a $275.00 check, with no questions.

On a side note, I just got a letter from AAA, stating that they will no longer offer roadside assistance for motorcycles, or RVs on their "standard" plan, which is what I have.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:31 am

I did have, at one time, BMWMOA roadside assistance until I noticed 35 miles towing.....
Living in the West at that time, 35 miles is a joke..........................
AAA said "to nearest point of safety in the direction the tow vehicle came from."......."nearest point of safety" .... the hell does that mean ?
Good Sam sent me in writting "if your vehicle requires a BMW Motorcycle shop, we'll have it towed there if it's 1000 miles".....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #14 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Yes BUT.... it ONLY covers 100 miles !!! For $79.95 Good Sam will tow "TO THE NEAREST" BMW Shop even if it is 300 miles away or in your case the closest Honda Shop.
You're right....that's a good deal. Still, the GWRRA thing aint bad for $30 additional.

We'll look into Good Sam next time round.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 2:28 pm

I had the mis-fortune of needing a tow on the way back from Rally in the Poconos yesterday due to a slipping clutch. Having Progressive roadside assistance, I called them and they contacted a local tow firm. They covered 30 miles, after that it cost me $2 a mile. Worst part about it was the fact that I waited for over 4 hours for the tow truck to show. He said he was almost to me within an hour but got a tripleA call and his boss said all TripleA calls have priority so he left me to go 40 miles away to handle that one first! Sheesh, got awful cold standing around that rest area at night...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 2:55 pm

We have AAA Plus RV which is 100 mile towing but never used it for the Bike. Also Progressive insurance with towing to "nearest authorized dealer". Again nerver used it for the Bike. 78,000 non-stranded miles. I know I just jinxed myself. And after reading some of the above I think I'll have to check out Good Sam

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
++ for Good Sam which is actually underwritten by Allstate. I've had that coverage for about 5 years and used it several times. Multiple roadside tire changes on the 5th wheel RV and 2X to transport my bike. Once when I totalled my GS and another for a flat tire. In all cases total satisfaction. As stated earlier it covers all my vehicles as well as any other vehicle that I'm riding in and if necessary they guarantee towing to the nearest authorized dealer.
Same plan I had, I got it through KOA. I have never heard anything bad about it but it sure was not worth it for me!

post #18 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Wink Re: Roadside Assistance

+1 on the AAA RV Plus. So Mike, if you jinxed yourself, I guess I'm jinxed too!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
We have AAA Plus RV which is 100 mile towing but never used it for the Bike. Also Progressive insurance with towing to "nearest authorized dealer". Again nerver used it for the Bike. 78,000 non-stranded miles. I know I just jinxed myself. And after reading some of the above I think I'll have to check out Good Sam

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #19 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 6:56 pm

This is a different view. I don't carry any towing insurance and if ever need will get on the phone and make local arraignments. Been riding and driving since I was 16 so 40 + years at X $$$ a year = $1,000.00(s) + not spent.

My background was in wireless communications and have sold two-way radios to wrecker services. They all handled AAA, along with their own independent towing service. If they get an AAA call and on their way, get an independent call, they scoot to the independent call (more money) and then the AAA call.

They all had a private AAA radio and their own radio system.

It only takes several years of not needing a service to come out ahead and how many times in a lifetime of riding will you need a tow?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
This is a different view. I don't carry any towing insurance and if ever need will get on the phone and make local arraignments. Been riding and driving since I was 16 so 40 + years at X $$$ a year = $1,000.00(s) + not spent.

My background was in wireless communications and have sold two-way radios to wrecker services. They all handled AAA, along with their own independent towing service. If they get an AAA call and on their way, get an independent call, they scoot to the independent call (more money) and then the AAA call.

It only takes several years of not needing a service to come out ahead and how many times in a lifetime of riding will you need a tow?
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
Every situation is different. But insurances work by regions and depending on where you are and how good/reliable the towing service they are contracting is that determines the restrictions and results for what you are paying.
Terms like "50 mile limit" or "direction of tow truck" or even long waits is not something envisioned when the policy and premiums are drawn up. And if in spite of your best policy you still have to find the bottom of your pocket and be on the edge waiting to go over and the truck that was initially coming to your rescue speeds by for a few $$$ more then to *#H with it what good are they to me.
BMW covers me 36/36,000 so I am going to try and add to that for savings. Like Dan said if I actually need towing I will do my shopping then. Hopefully I will be ahead.
ride safe
post #21 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

Hey Dan, can't say as I can argue with your logic, I thought the same for the first 50 +/- years of vehicle ownership. However, you haven't lived until you have to change a flat tire on the left side of a 5th wheel RV that's parked about 10 ft off the side of an Interstate highway! One time doing that was enough to convince me that I needed some type of Roadside Assistance. Now that we no longer have the RV I reconsider the need for the service contract at renewal time each year. As a result of growing older, and I'm already old, and in consideration of my wife who is frequently out on the road by herself, I always come to the same conclusion. The $100 that I spend each year is a small amount of money to spend for the piece of mind that it provides. So, at least for me, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #22 of 24 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Rider Insurance company. It only covers 35 miles tow, but it is free with the insurance policy. Also, Rider was cheaper than any insurance policy I could find......

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (from rider.com)

Roadside Assistance coverage is included on all policies. It provides towing in the event your motorcycle is disabled.

Towing up to 35 miles
Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Battery Jumpstart
Flat tire towing (up to 35 miles)
Lockout
Emergency delivery of fuel, oil, water or other fluids (does not include cost of fluids).
post #23 of 24 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm

I have AMA (American Motorcyclist Assoc.) roadside assistance that comes with the annual membership fee. I think the fee was $35.00 or $40.00. It also comes with a monthly magazine that I enjoy reading.

No roadside breakdowns yet, so I haven't used it. Has anyone out there used this service? If so, how did it go?

2006 Triumph Scrambler
2006 K1200LT
post #24 of 24 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjamesbLT
I have AMA (American Motorcyclist Assoc.) roadside assistance ... Has anyone out there used this service? If so, how did it go?
I used it 2 weeks ago about 11pm along I-84 in Idaho and I thought they handled it well/professionally. The free portion of the tow is only the first 35 miles but that was enough for that situation. You call and they'll ask if you need medical assistance and if you feel you are in a safe location, if not they will send police/medical. They'll ask if you just need mechanical assistance or a tow. They'll locate lodging while on the phone and give you a list of choices. When it is arranged they call back with a tow eta and lodging confirmation. After a while they call back again to ensure the tow was completed satisfactorily and there are no other loose ends. I was happy with it because everything needed that night was handled with a single call from my side.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in