Ignition security - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Ignition security

I'm wondering if the keyless entry can be adapted to a 2000 K1200 LT.

I ride my bike to work every day. Last Tuesday (9/12/2011) I lost my bike's ignition key. Yes, I know, I should have had an extra key hidden on the bike. But I didn't. So I left it chained to a post overnight and visited the same customers on Wednesday. No one found the key.

A locksmith was called and he did great work. Took him just over 2 hours to cut new keys (one of which is now hidden on the bike and secured by plastic ties).

Then I began thinking that I could have left the keys in the ignition. I don't know if I did or didn't. But if I did, then a potential thief could be riding my bike at anytime in the future.

Is there a keyless entry method that could be employed? Do you have any suggestions?

I was reading the "keyless entry" thread and saw that the 2005 K12's have a keyless entry system. Has anyone adapted that to an earlier model year?

Thank you for any replies.

Jonny Oliver
Concord, NC

2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Re: Ignition security

My guess is that you have probably done the best thing you could do, hide a key. If you are wanting a keyless remote ignition system, I would worry that it could shut off at any time, if it encountered a random frequency while riding. If you want remote locking for your luggage, you might consider just selling the bike you have now, and buying a newer one that is set up for that. If you are concerned about your key being in someone elses hands, consider re-keying your ignition lock, or replacing it with a different one. Check with the locksmith that made your new keys.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking more along the lines of a device that would not allow the electrons to flow even when the ignition key was inserted and turned to "on" - like the switch beside the start button on the right side handlebar. Except the new switch would be known only to me.

Jonny Oliver

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 2:47 pm

There is an immobilizer that would not allow ignition until you press a button on a remote.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 3:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The 05 does not have "keyless entry" it does have remote locking of the side and top cases. Still need a key to start it. Don't think I have ever heard of a "stolen" LT ever on this site. Anyone ever have one stolen?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Hello one and all. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while gaining valuable knowledge about this terrific motorcycle. Purchased my 2002 LT two years ago with 48K miles on it and it has been a joy to ride. Thanks to all the great folks on this site and their willingness to share their wealth of knowledge, I've managed to do the regular maintenance myself and learn lots about this machine. It is a terrific forum. Thanks.

As far as this thread is concerned, perhaps you can install a toggle switch in the emergency cut-off switch circuit. I did that on a 1984 Gold Wing many years ago. It is cheap and effective and it worked for me. Basically, it would be a second cut-off switch, but hidden so that only you would know about it. Even if someone else has a key, the bike won't start unless this secret switch is turned on. Hope this helps.

Gary C
2002 BMW K1200LT

Former rides:
1968 Honda CL350
1972 Honda CB750F
1984 Honda CX650
1984 Honda GL1200A (rode for 25 years)
2004 Honda GL1800A (just sold)
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
As far as this thread is concerned, perhaps you can install a toggle switch in the emergency cut-off switch circuit. I did that on a 1984 Gold Wing many years ago. It is cheap and effective and it worked for me. Basically, it would be a second cut-off switch, but hidden so that only you would know about it. Even if someone else has a key, the bike won't start unless this secret switch is turned on. Hope this helps
Now we're getting somewhere! I think I would like to have a push button switch that when pushed one time the ignition is "on" and the bike can be operated. When I get to the destination, turn off the ignition switch and casually run a hand over the push button to turn it off.

What would be neat would be to have one of those numbered pushbutton deals like on some cars where when the right combination of keys was pressed, the doors unlock. I think that could be done.

Anyone ever done that?

Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Throw one of these in line with the ignition.

http://www.iboats.com/Cut-Off-Switch...-view_id.45138

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Hey, Glen,

I'm the guy that bought your tank bag when you were 4 wheeling. Still using it too.

This boat switch looks interesting. I'll go by a boat dealer and take a look at the switch and find out exactly how it works.

Thanks.

Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
There is an immobilizer that would not allow ignition until you press a button on a remote.

I really like this idea. Quick, simple, no hassle. I assume the remote also sets the immobilizer as well as resets it. Right? Where can one of these be purchased? Any idea about cost in round numbers?

Thanks
Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1200 LT
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:25 am

Jonny,

there is another option that I could not find yesterday.

A friend of mine has an ignition cutout on his Jeep and he has to touch a magnet to a hidden sensor before the ignition will work.

there is a bypass feature that allows him for valet or maintenance purposes. I will ask him where he got it.

I believe it was about $50 and easy to install.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the bag.

Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in