How important is this Bolt? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 6:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

How important is this Bolt?

Adding HeliCoils to fix stripped valve cover bolts for my Oil leak ( a task complete!!) and I noticed the bolt in the picture is loose, essentially there are no threads in the hole at all! The bolt was just setting there, so how screwed am I with this one? Surely it's not just there for looking pretty, it's a long bolt.

Thanks for any info.

-Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Re: How important is this Bolt?

That is the left front engine mount bolt, there is one just like it on the right side. Those two bolts are what suspends the front of the engine from the frame, so they are extremely important. However, nothing can happen if the bolt does not come out, as it is in a rubber bushing in the engine support mount, the engine hangs from the frame.

If you make sure the right bolt tightens, the engine cannot move left/right, and if you can insure the bolt cannot work out the bike should be safe to ride.

It would be a pretty good job to replace the left engine support, but that is what should be done if the threads in it are stripped.

I do not remember whether the bolt screws into the bushing or the support bracket.
The bushing is part number 46 51 2 332 110
The support bracket is 46 51 2 332 863

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the Info David, The bolt slides in out of the hole like a cheap ... well several things come to mind but I'll reserve myself... lets just say the hole seems way to wide for the bolt and is smooth inside, not even any evidence of threads. It's a blind whole, I can't push anything all the way through it.

I found it in my Clymer under cylinder head removal (page 109), Image120 part B. It mentions it in step 6A for RS and GT models but makes no reference to it in the LT section 6B. Is this just used on on RS and GT and the bolt is just a filler on the LT? It's not obvious if this is the same bolt referenced in image 122 especially since this appears to be a blind whole.

Again, thanks for any input.

-Preston

-Preston

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:12 pm

In the bmw manual, I think this is the same bolt you are looking at. Page 11.14
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aabolt.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	32980  

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 9:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
Thanks for the Info David, The bolt slides in out of the hole like a cheap ... well several things come to mind but I'll reserve myself... lets just say the hole seems way to wide for the bolt and is smooth inside, not even any evidence of threads. It's a blind whole, I can't push anything all the way through it.

I found it in my Clymer under cylinder head removal (page 109), Image120 part B. It mentions it in step 6A for RS and GT models but makes no reference to it in the LT section 6B. Is this just used on on RS and GT and the bolt is just a filler on the LT? It's not obvious if this is the same bolt referenced in image 122 especially since this appears to be a blind whole.

Again, thanks for any input.

-Preston
Slight correction, it appears to be a blind hole, but i in the dark of night I put a small flash light flush to the hole and did see a glint of light coming from a crack back further under the tank, so it's not blind just blocked on the other side. The object I inserted to feel it the back side went in a good half an inch further than the bolt so it appears the bolt resting in the whole wouldn't be long enough to reach the back side and put a nut on it if things were aligned.

Still puzzled...

-Preston

-Preston

post #6 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If memory serves me.. Isn't there a nut that goes on that bolt ? I remember having to bend up a wrench to get a hold of that nut to tighten one up the bolt. I think the other side has threads in the motor block.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I seem to remember that there was a nut on that side and the one on the other side screwed into the engine after it went through the bushing. I have only removed those twice so far and it was a few months ago and I am over 60 now so that is a lot of strikes against accurate memory. Oh and that would be an M10 nut.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Any thoughts to the Contrary that I could button it up and ride out the rest of this season on it then tear into it in the winter? Looks like to get to the other side where a Nut would go would take a lot time, radiator removal , etc ....

-Preston

-Preston

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 6:09 pm

This is from the MAX BMW parts fiche.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B0003861.png
Views:	231
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	32984  
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 6:10 pm

It is your bike and your life, so you can do what you want... BUT, I would NOT ride it like this, not even for a 1 mile.

I have worked on my motorcycles for more than 20 years, and I have removed the transmission and clutch on a K1200 - I know very well that there are only 2 bolts supporting the front of that engine and one large stud thru the back (transmission level).

It is irrelevant that on the K1200 the engine is not contributing to the strength of the frame assembly (because it is rubber mounted), There will be flexing and torsion on the mount and bolt of the other side, and this is NOT good.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm

There are lots of bolts on this bike and it is easy to stuff the wrong bolt in the correct hole. If it were me i would get a bolt to match the one you found in the hole except 1" to 2" longer and see if the bolt catches threads. If it does then cut the bolt down to fit and ride like the wind!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'm not sure what size the nut is but you will need to at least remove the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2000LT LA.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	914.2 KB
ID:	32985  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in