Forum and LT General Info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Forum and LT General Info

ATGATT??? Okay .... I've read enough to know this is Rider Safety Gear ... but what does it stand for? I traded my HD Ultra for this LT because I wanted ABS, Adjustable Windsheild, Quiet (must be getting old) ... tired of burning my legs ... but ... mainly for the safety features of this bike ... in the last six months I've had 3 close calls on the HD ... all resulting in serious skids that I could of lost control in .... I used to ride in shorts and a t shirt .. now jeans and a helmet ... working up to full riding gear

Where Can I find the paint code for my bike ... It's a 2006LT and it's very dark grey? I'd like to know exactly what color it is?

I've gotten all kinds of info on tire pressure ... I use Nitrogen in my bike and truck tires ... As recommended by my salesmen I'm running 40 front and 42 rear ... I've read on here various other pressures ... I'm looking for max tire life and safety

Thanks for your help in advance ... and for the help I've already gotten from this forum

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Re: Forum and LT General Info

All The Gear, All The Time, at least that's what it means in Oz. As for maxxing the tyre life, I suggest you need to increase the rear to 48 - 50 psi. 50 being recommended absolute maximum as stated by the manufacturer. My opinion only, but my '05 has just clicked over 20,000Km's and the rear Battlax B020 is not yet toast, possibly another 2,000K's till the wear bars show up A lot of work is done 2 up as well.. Fronts disappear at around 14,000, sooner if you brake heavily into corners while beginning to change direction (not a good practice for a number of reasons). Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:35 pm
Sit

Check under the drivers seat for a label that will give you the paint code. Think its three digits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Yep, 949 = Light Yellw Metallic (the gold colour) on a 2005. It's the label on the inner rear guard just down from the fus boxes etc.
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 5:48 am

The "Trim Code" that is on the sticker under the seat, top of rear fender, is not the paint color code. It is the code for the complete trim of the bike, including color. The dealer can look up that code and get the color code from it. At least that is true on bikes up to 2001 when there was more than one choice in chrome trim setups.

There is one thing you cannot get, and that is "Long Tread Life" AND "Safety (from skids)".

Tread grip (especially on wet) requires a softer tread compound, where long tread life requires harder. That is why many motorcycle tires have a dual compound, harder in the middle for longer life, softer on the sides for better grip when leaned.

My experience was the the Metzeler 880 gave better tread life, but were really slip prone on wet surfaces. The BT020 gave much shorter life on front, about the same on the rear, but were much grippier when wet. My choice was for better grip at expense of tire life. Felt my life was worth the extra cost in tire life. If I were to get a used LT now, and it had ME 880's on it, the FIRST change I would make to the bike is to rip the 880's off, no matter how new, and put on gripper tires.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:05 am

42 front 48 rear for maximum tire life...

All The Gear All The Time...aggatt...

Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Boots.. All made for motorcycle wrecking....

You don't need it to ride.. But you'll be damn glad you had it when you wreck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
42 front 48 rear for maximum tire life...

All The Gear All The Time...aggatt...

Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Boots.. All made for motorcycle wrecking....

You don't need it to ride.. But you'll be damn glad you had it when you wreck..

John
On the Harley's it was kind of a badge of honor not to wear that stuff ... I've put the HD's down twice in the last two years ... once braking on gravel on the road (cut off by a car) and the other time was when a tree limb hit the road at the same time the front tire hit the limb .... no wind ... just a rotten tree and bad luck ... both times I replaced lots of skin on my legs ... once right and once left ... of course I was in shorts and a t ... no helmet, gloves or boots ... Now I ride with leather chaps ... jacket ... and helmet ... guess I should look into boots and gloves .. maybe even some made to wreck stuff ... I have a harley FRG with full body armor jacket ... guess I should look into pants for that too ... the reason for buying the LT was to be safer ... better brakes ... better handling .. but mostly the brakes

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in