99 RT vs 02 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

99 RT vs 02 LT

Looking at two bikes, same dealer.

99 K1100RT: Dark Graphite Metallic, 54,768 Miles, Two Owner, Heated Grips, BMW Top & Side Cases, Hazard Lights, ABS, Comfort Seat, New Metzeler Tires, Just Serviced, Rebuilt Transmission, $5,390

02 K1200LT: 42,297 Miles, One Owner, Sold & Serviced at Gina's BMW, BMW Navigator, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Heated Grips, BMW Communication System $8,560

Thought I really wanted an LT, now not so sure. The RT looks nice too, and would obviously be a lower cost to start with. How concerned should I be over the rebuilt transmission? A few less gizmos on the RT and I'm guessing the LT is a little more passenger friendly.

Dealer is highly regarded.

I'm going to go and ride both on Saturday. But, would appreciate the input from a group more knowledgeable than I.

IA Sprint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Re: 99 RT vs 02 LT

I think the bike you go for is based on what you like and what you plan to do. I used to own a '99 RT and loved it. At the time, I wasn't touring at all, just Saturday morning rides mostly. For that it was perfect. After about four years, I decided to start touring and bought a Goldwing and then later a K1200LT. For touring, you can't beat the LT, it is a wonderful bike. Consider what you plan on doing and make the decision from there. You will love the ride of both, they feel and handle great and having a highly regarded dealer isn't bad either.

Good luck!
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:20 am

I concur with the post above. I had an RT for a long time and moved to an LT. My wife wouldn't ride pillion on the RT but she loves the comfort on the LT and rides with me a lot. I had both bikes for a while and when I got on the RT after riding the LT , I thought I was on a sprint bike They are really different animals.

As for the tranny rebuild on the RT, I wouldn't be concerned if it was done correctly, had mine done at 100k miles. Final drive on either can be a problem, but is not a real big deal to have rebuilt.

MHO, the prices that you quoted are high. Ride them both, make a decision on which you like and then NEGOTIATE. Best wishes on your decision.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 7:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on get the one that matches how you want to ride, if you are going two up the LT may be the winner. I struggled over the same decision LT or RT, and having my wife with me took me to the LT.

I agree the prices seem high I bought my '02 LT at just over 50K miles for around 6,500 last May, and there was another down the street, '02 with 9k miles for 7,500. The Lt's do not seem to have held high resale value, so be sure to negotiate on that price after you make you decision, scour Ebay, Craigslist, and the like and get prices for similar bikes and go well armed to talk them down some bucks.

Good luck
-Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:25 am

Your quandary is like picking strawberry vs. vanilla, not right - wrong. Both are fine used bikes and a pleasure to ride. When you decide how you want to ride.....pick the bike that does that for you.

That said.....I use my LT as a daily commuter, errand bike, as well as touring. I find myself taking the long way home fairly often :-)

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Everyone brings up the right points. But if you really want to make the decision then don't take the wife with. If she gets on the RT and then the LT you will be the owner of an LT.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Mommas going to be in more comfort on the LT. I've got a 2000 RT and 03 LT. I use the RT for short jaunts and to keep miles off the LT. The RT is a little more flickable and not as tippy at low speed but it gets us sore on a ride longer than 90 minutes (seniors +). The LT carves corners like it was lighter than it is but you can flick the cruise control on turn on radio/CD and kick back when the turns disappear. If I could only have one it would be the LT-- it does it all. I remove the bulky tour pack when we're not touring and it helps it do the low speed stuff also.--Test ride both if you can, just be careful of the big girl at low speed.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input folks. I'll be test riding both tomorrow. I really liked the LT I'd previously test ridden, but the price of the RT makes it appealing. Guess I'll have a much better idea of what's going to fit my needs by this time tomorrow.

IA Sprint
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 5:37 am

I nth the 'both bikes are great' idea.
Prices seem really high, I just paid 6600 for for an 02 with 5250 miles or so. It was a great deal because bike had been sitting, but saw several around that were alot less than your dealer. I guess my way of thinking was, with a bike as bulletproof as the LT, what are the chances of a lemon, so I bought from private party. Craigslist is your friend...
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 6:31 am

I've got a suggestion IA. Since they are both at the same dealer, cut a deal to buy both at the same time. You will have the best of both worlds and an opportunity to get a bulk purchase discount

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:52 am

<99 K1100RT: Dark Graphite Metallic, 54,768 Miles, Two Owner, Heated Grips, BMW Top & Side Cases, Hazard Lights, ABS, Comfort Seat, New Metzeler Tires, Just Serviced, Rebuilt Transmission, $5,390>

Um, there is no such thing as a K1100RT. Its likely an R1100RT...The difference is the LT's K Bike engine is a water cooled 4 cylinder engine. The RT has an oil/air cooled horizontally opposed 2 cylinder engine.

You might want to find out WHO rebuilt the RT's tranny and if there is a warranty with it and for how long?!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #12 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Yes the bikes are a K1200LT and an R1100RT. Had the opportunity to ride both and just felt like the LT is a better fit for me. Can't say that I stole it, but Gina was great to work with. Also met Julius, who was fantastic. Very excited to get a few (thousand) miles on the bike yet this fall.

Thank you to all at this forum who responded to my post, and also those who've posted in the countless threads I've been scouring for the past several months.

Take care,

IASprint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in