Oil Tanker Damage - $6700 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Oil Tanker Damage - $6700

As some of you may know, while on our way to CCR, my wife and I (with the Finns behind us) were front-ended at a stop light when an oil tanker rolled backwards into us. Just got the damage estimate from BMW of Denver: $6702 (P&L) - ouch! I told the driver he picked the wrong brand to hit.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:59 pm

Re: Oil Tanker Damage - $6700

Glad you are okay...but that must have been a sick feeling watching it roll back.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #3 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:49 am

Glad you're OK - that could have been really a lot worse.... I guess it's not surprising - BMW parts are on the pricey side.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:52 am

A few years ago a motorcyclist in my hometown was killed by a tractor trailer that backed into him. They were stopped at a red light in a left turn lane at a 4-way intersection. Another tractor trailer, coming from the right, was making a left turn in front of them. The first tractor trailer backed up to give the second one more room to make the turn. He never saw the bike. Since then, this scenario is always in the back of my mind. Anymore, if I stop behind a truck, I stop far back and hug either the left or right of the lane. That way hopefully if it happens to me, I have enough time and space to either shoot for an out around the truck or jump off and run.
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Wink Re: Oil Tanker Damage - $6700

Glad that you are OK after the traumatic episode with the truck. But there is always a lesson to be learned, and the one here is mentioned in the reply below. I would add to it by saying that you should always try to be at one side or the other where the trucker can see you in his mirrors! If you end up right behind them, and cannot see their mirrors, they do not see you, just the vehicle behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
- SNIP- Anymore, if I stop behind a truck, I stop far back and hug either the left or right of the lane. That way hopefully if it happens to me, I have enough time and space to either shoot for an out around the truck or jump off and run.
We really do need to ride defensively, and a lot of that defense is trying to figure out what other drivers are seeing, thinking, and doing!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

No injuries at all; I must thank my guardian angel...he knows who he is. I definately saw it ending differently in my head, with us under the axle. The whole time I was leaning on my stebel air horn and my wife was screaming bloody murder into the intercom. The guy never even knew he was rolling backwards and admitted so. When I said: "Didn't you hear my horn?" he replied: "Oh that was you? I knew y'all were back there but I didn't think I was rolling backward." I still don't know how he stopped because his break lights never did come on. Fortunately, some witnesses got his attention before he pulled away without ever knowing what he'd just done.

'15 GTLE

post #7 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
..... Anymore, if I stop behind a truck, I stop far back and hug either the left or right of the lane. That way hopefully if it happens to me, I have enough time and space to either shoot for an out around the truck or jump off and run.
Stop in a location where you have a clear view of the truck's rear view mirrors.
Have you ever seen the sticker on the back of a semi that states: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you." ?

Glad no one was hurt.
I sorry for the damage to the bike.
And I a little sorry for the road driver. He goofed, and he's at fault, but odds are he looked in his rear view mirrors before he engaged reverse.
post #8 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

I do normally do this...all the time...and I learned it from this forum. In this case, we were in a congested, narrow, construction zone and I was driving along at a snails pace with two GWs (the Finns) behind me and close, so I didn't want to swerve to one side or the other. Not making an excuse, just throwing out my thought process. The guy said he knew we were there, my guess is he fell asleep with his foot off the brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Glad that you are OK after the traumatic episode with the truck. But there is always a lesson to be learned, and the one here is mentioned in the reply below. I would add to it by saying that you should always try to be at one side or the other where the trucker can see you in his mirrors! If you end up right behind them, and cannot see their mirrors, they do not see you, just the vehicle behind you.

We really do need to ride defensively, and a lot of that defense is trying to figure out what other drivers are seeing, thinking, and doing!

John

'15 GTLE

post #9 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Your insurance company did not total out your 2005 with $6700 damage?

Which company?

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Well, it's the trucking company's insurance company and we're not that far yet. Still waiting for the adjuster to give his input. If he makes a stink about it I may have to bring one of those friendly injury attorneys into play. Right now we're sitting at 61 percent of blue book and the BMW dealer said that they usually total it at 75 percent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Your insurance company did not total out your 2005 with $6700 damage?

Which company?

'15 GTLE

post #11 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Super Moderator

I believe totaling a bike requires the repair to be in excess of 70% of NADA value . . . I was rear ended and in my case
I fought to keep the bike and repair the minor plastic stuff. Was really amazed at the BMW cost of the plastic parts - WOW.

The independent estimator says we do not repair plastic we replace it!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The total % number is set by the state insurance agency and varies from state to state.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Was really amazed at the BMW cost of the plastic parts - WOW.
That's the issue here...fairing upper, headlight, both side panels, front mud gaurd, tip-over cover, chrome side trim, etc, etc...mostly all plastic damage.

'15 GTLE

post #14 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:41 am

wow when you & i went out to look at your seat at ccr we both kinda thought around 4000

i guess you are going to have to deal hard with the insurence company.

my better half corrinne says hi
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Hello right back at Corrinne! I just got "the call" from the insurance company. Their adjuster found $100 more in damage than BMW of Denver and they're sending out a check for $6800. I am sooo glad they didn't try to total it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobst2
wow when you & i went out to look at your seat at ccr we both kinda thought around 4000

i guess you are going to have to deal hard with the insurence company.

my better half corrinne says hi

'15 GTLE

post #16 of 17 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:41 pm

I had similiar thing happen about 25yrs ago and I was not on a bike.

Truck was in left turning lane on very slight grade. I was behind and in mirror view. He rolled back approx 10 ft and pushed hood up on my charger to where it was not driveable with out removing. I could not back up as cars behind. He also did not hear my horn.

Light turns green, all cars behind bugger off. I run up to truck to stop him from leaving.

Cops arrive , and are turns out they are best buds with driver. I was charged with following too closely and warned that the different address on license/insurane/ownersip (had recently moved twice and neglected updating) would generate another sizable fine. Was also told that my wife could not act as a witness and everyone else had left the scene!

Life teaches some lessons the hard way......... Also adds some reality for driving for other drivers and always be prepared for the unexpected.

Long story short, my insurance had to pay, I looked like the guilty one and life goes on. Being young and not familiar with my options I let it go

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 3:37 am

In this case I happened to be on the left side of Steve some feet behind him and I was just as surprised as he must have been seeing the tanker start rolling backwards. As I was somewhat further back I had time to prepare rolling backwards myself (which I did not have to do before the tanker finally stopped) and I started pressing my horn button and waving to the truck driver as I could clearly see his left side mirror.
Poor guy must have fallen asleep as Steve suspected since otherwise he should not have started backing. Especially as he admitted seeing us riding behind him for a while already through the city of Roosevelt UT. And we were in a slight uphill waiting for the veeery long red light to turn green so all it took was the driver's foot to slip off the brake pedal.

I'm also surprised of the damage estimate. Of course in this case the scratched parts would be changed to new instead of being painted...

I hope you get it sorted out allright,

greetings to Cheryl as well!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in