WestCo Battery Help Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

WestCo Battery Help Needed

Hello all,

Have to call on the experts once again.

I have a 2005 LT and it is just ordered my 3rd WestCo battery.

I seem to get 2.5 years out of the WestCo 12V20P battery. I always have it on the AccuMate trickle charger when not in use.

Last Thursday, the LT barely started. I thought maybe I left something on. Charged it over-night, showed fully charged, but it barely started.

Battery is rated for 275 CCA. I bought it over to NAPA, CCA was at 199. Ran a second test, then showed 189.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? One would think to get 4+ years from this battery.

Is there something that is causing a drain? I heard the CD changer has constant power, but I removed this years ago. I have MotoLights and PIAA lights, that are on a switched power source.

Thanks,

Erick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: WestCo Battery Help Needed

I don't know about a WestCo, but I just had to change my 84-month battery in my F150 after 37 months due to a dead cell. The dealer said he's never seen such a failure rate on batteries in the last few months. Its probably the heat.

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I just had to replace my Batt. after 2 1/2 years on my LT. Seems normal to me

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:55 pm

I have a "no name" battery in my bike and it has been over 5 years now, still going strong.
post #5 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Battery failures seem to be on the increase. My son had 3 BMW Exide batteries fail in as many years on his R1200 GSA. Each battery had shorted cells. I think quality is missing on the Made in China and VietNam batteries. I'll stick with Odyssey PC680, made in USA.

Check the similar threads below for more information.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not familiar with the Accumate charger. Check your float voltage to see where it's cutting out. All you need to do is check across the battery posts after the unit has been plugged in for a couple hours.

post #7 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 7:50 pm

I bought a westco and got 4 years service. Bought a westco last june and had to replace it last month. I always charge my batteries prior to install and always have it tendered when not in use.I have nothing draining the battery, just one of those things
post #8 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Heat seems to be the biggest killer of batteries. If you leave a tender on all the time, make sure it is cutting off when charge is topped up to 100%.

My LT battery is/was new in 05 and still going strong. Privious to my ownership it was kept on BMW's tender.
The battery in my Concours was new 5yrs ago and is showing signs that life is coming to an end.
I typically get 8-10 yrs from my vehicle batteries in the great white north.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #9 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

The AccuMate charger is what is recommended by WestCo. Probably because they sell it.

I think it is a float charger, and I will take a look when I receive my new battery.

I complained to WestCo that this is my third battery. They offered me a new one for $50 which included shipping. We will see how this one works.

If I recall from WestCo, they stated the High voltage should be 14.4 and low should be 13.6 (floating) at 250 milliamps.

Does this make sense?
post #10 of 29 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 8:01 am

I had a Westco in my 2000 LT and just removed it this year after 5 years of service only because I won an Odyssey at a rally.

I gave the Westco to a friend and it's still going strong in his R1100RT.

I have a Battery Tender but seldom use it.
post #11 of 29 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 8:53 am

It's the heat and "new" quality. The times they are a changing!

..and sometines you are just lucky!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:05 am

After 2.5 years, the original Exide Gel Batter was getting weak, and so I went with the Odyssey PC680 dry cell battery. I do keep it on the BMW trickle charger if we go on vacation without the bike and over the winter. It off-sets the parasitic drain from the clock, motronic, radio memory, and other circuits that never shut off. And I do park it with the wheel locked full left or right and the key in the off position most of the time.

Yes, the heat is the battery killer, but for the most part, it just sets them up to die when it gets colder and they need that extra cranking power.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #13 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:27 am

FYI, The PC680 is a AGM (absorbed glass mat ) and far superior to a GEL battery. There are some minor peculiarities on that battery and it is strongly recommended thet you read the maint./operating instructions to be familiar with it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US-ODY-OM-009_0611.pdf (727.2 KB, 55 views)

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #14 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 7:22 am

I have another brand of AGM battery in my K1100, it is now 7 years old, during the winter I use a solar panel with 12 volt regulator top keep the battery charged, prefer to leave the battery connected in the bike.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #15 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 7:52 pm

I also have a 2005 and a Westco battery. I got 10 months out of the last Westco. They replaced it for free. No idea how long this one will last. I keep it on the BMW charger when I'm not riding. The battery I replaced was a BMW battery but that was also a replacement. I bought the bike used so I don't know how long that one was in there.

Westco batteries are made in Vietnam. Not saying anything about Vietnam, just sayin . .
post #16 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'll say it. I had one of those things in my 1150RT when I bought it. The piece of junk broke the terminal off inside the case. Measured full voltage but no amps. I don't think Vietnam has the quality control in place like the U.S. manufacturers. I've heard of this issue several times with the Vietnamese batteries.

post #17 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 1:25 am

I just replaced the original battery on my 05 LT just before Summer...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #18 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I just replaced the original battery on my 05 LT just before Summer...
What did you replace it with Gilles?

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #19 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
What did you replace it with Gilles?
I found an AGM for around $80.00.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 6:16 am Thread Starter

I received my new WestCo battery. Hope to get more than 2 years out of it. If not, I am going with the Odyssey next time.
post #21 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:29 am

IMHO, you get what you pay for and Odyssey is made in USA (for now) and the last Wesco I saw was made in Viet Nam ( I still have a problem with that)

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #22 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
Hello all,
Is there something that is causing a drain? I heard the CD changer has constant power, but I removed this years ago. I have MotoLights and PIAA lights, that are on a switched power source.

Thanks,

Erick
I read this post a few days ago and remembered something from my own experience I'll pass along. Some years ago I had several bikes. A few weren't ridden at all in the winter. I had three of the batteries on Battery Tender chargers over the winter. Two got through just fine.....one battery was shot come spring. Next winter....same thing. It finally dawned on me that one of my chargers might be bad. The lights were acting normally on the unit, showing what seemed to be normal function, but I got rid of the charger I knew had been on the failed battery the second winter. Problem solved.

Also, it's possible, as you mentioned, that you could have too much residual current draw on the battery when the bike's shut down. I've seen LT owners unknowingly have the radio muted and turn the key to the R position, thinking the bike's shut down, but leaving the radio energized. They didn't hear the radio, and thought it was off. Over a few days that would pull a battery down. You can prevent that any time by turning the key past the R always which turns off switched radio power.

One way to test for residual current flow with the key off is to disconnect a battery lead, put an ammeter between the lead and the battery terminal, ...and see if there's any current draw. A "bad" way to check the same thing, but one I've been known to do a few times is to disconnect a battery lead from it's terminal, and with the key in the off position touch the lead to the terminal. If you see a noticeable spark....there's current flowing....i.e. something pulling power with the key off.

My guess though is either you've gotten an unlikely batch of bad batteries.....or something's not right with your charger.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #23 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 3:32 pm
WAL

Angry Re: WestCo Battery Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
IMHO, you get what you pay for and Odyssey is made in USA (for now) and the last Wesco I saw was made in Viet Nam ( I still have a problem with that)

I agree most of the time you get what you pay for. I am on my 2nd Odyssey got 4 years from the first but I admit I did not take care of it as far as keeping it fully charged. I will do better on this one. I also like the fact that it is American made. This country would not be in the situation it is in if it had not let companies out source all there work overseas and let every country dump there cheap stuff over here. Yea you get cheaper priced items to buy but who is going to buy these things when we are all out of work! If you Build American, Buy American, and have fair trade(if we can't sell our stuff in your country then don't expect to sell yours in our country period). We will be a powerful nation again God Bless America! Sorry I just had to vent somewhere.
post #24 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamrider
I read this post a few days ago and remembered something from my own experience I'll pass along. Some years ago I had several bikes. A few weren't ridden at all in the winter. I had three of the batteries on Battery Tender chargers over the winter. Two got through just fine.....one battery was shot come spring. Next winter....same thing. It finally dawned on me that one of my chargers might be bad. The lights were acting normally on the unit, showing what seemed to be normal function, but I got rid of the charger I knew had been on the failed battery the second winter. Problem solved.

Also, it's possible, as you mentioned, that you could have too much residual current draw on the battery when the bike's shut down. I've seen LT owners unknowingly have the radio muted and turn the key to the R position, thinking the bike's shut down, but leaving the radio energized. They didn't hear the radio, and thought it was off. Over a few days that would pull a battery down. You can prevent that any time by turning the key past the R always which turns off switched radio power.

One way to test for residual current flow with the key off is to disconnect a battery lead, put an ammeter between the lead and the battery terminal, ...and see if there's any current draw. A "bad" way to check the same thing, but one I've been known to do a few times is to disconnect a battery lead from it's terminal, and with the key in the off position touch the lead to the terminal. If you see a noticeable spark....there's current flowing....i.e. something pulling power with the key off.

My guess though is either you've gotten an unlikely batch of bad batteries.....or something's not right with your charger.

JD

Thanks for the info. Here is some interesting info I want to share. When I changed the battery, the key was in the off position. I hooked up the positive leads, then the negative. In touching negative to the battery, sparks did fly. Nothing was turned on to my knowledge. Then I noticed sound from the speak for about 1-2 seconds, like it was playing a song on the radio. Then it went away.

I will try the ampmeter thing and see what happens. Not sure where to get one.
post #25 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
Thanks for the info. Here is some interesting info I want to share. When I changed the battery, the key was in the off position. I hooked up the positive leads, then the negative. In touching negative to the battery, sparks did fly. Nothing was turned on to my knowledge. Then I noticed sound from the speak for about 1-2 seconds, like it was playing a song on the radio. Then it went away.

I will try the ampmeter thing and see what happens. Not sure where to get one.
Radio Shack has 'em, as do most automotive parts stores.
post #26 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 9:36 am

Cant beat the price of this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-95652.html
post #27 of 29 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:16 am

This meter might be a little better choice when looking for current flow in the milliamp range. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html Low range for current is 2 milliamp and the highest range is 20A. The digits on the display are quite large too.

I just bought a replacement for my first one. I discovered they are not gasoline proof. DAMHIK

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #28 of 29 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just FYI, I have had an Odyssey PC680 in my 2001 since 2006 and it's still going. I will likely install a new one this winter as a preventive mesure since I have let this one go flat on me a couple of times. I think they are worth the cost (made in USA is a definate plus).

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #29 of 29 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 7:31 am Thread Starter

I have some information I would like to share with you.

With the battery tender attached, voltage measures 14.00 volts

I then disconnected the battery tender, removed all the positive leads. I measure current for each lead. Only 1 lead had a draw of .01 amps when I set the multimeter on the 20 amp setting.

I am guess this is the radio? Is this normal?

Not sure if I calculated this correctly.

.01 watts x 12 volts = .12 watts

So, at 12 volts, my 20 amp/hr battery drawing .12 watts will last 833 hours (34 days) before dead?

Thanks,

Erick

Last edited by ehaughn; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:10 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in