Battery voltage & charging - '05LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Battery voltage & charging - '05LT

I have checked my battery voltage with the bike running and I get 12.8 volts. Everything is fine with the bike as is. I undestand the battery is either a sealed lead acid type or a gel type. It has been replaced once since the bike was new (previos owner) and there is Exide documentation with the books. I intend to purchase a battery tender for winter, but most appear to be set for 14.4 volts cut-off. Is this too high for our type batteries ? And if so which battery tender is recommended in order to prevent long term damage from over-charging. All advice gratefully accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Battery voltage & charging - '05LT

Get a regulated or "floating" charger. My favorite is the Guest brand 2606. It puts out three levels of charging and will "float" so it will not damage your battery. The easiest thing to remember is to get a charger which is compatible with AGM batteries and you're done. The AGM and gel batteries top off at lower voltages so the chargers used with them are good for regular batteries as well. An AGM or gel battery which gets overcharged though is ruined. Your voltage regulator on the BMW will cut out at about 13.6 which is ok for any battery you'll put in it. My personal opinion is that the AGM batteries offer the best value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dean, I'm sure you're on the money, but the brand doesn't appear to be available in Oz ac voltage (240 volt). I'll keep looking, some suggest that low current (1 amp or less) won't adversely affect the battery but I'm not so sure.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 6:34 am

I use a solar panel with a 12 volt regulator to keep the batteries up in the winter - in Canada you can purchase at Canadian Tire - I use a large panel about 30 inches by 12 inches

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in