About to buy a 2003 K1200LT, any advices? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

About to buy a 2003 K1200LT, any advices?

Hi everyone, I had read a lot of your advices concerning the K1200LT - from '99 to '07 - maintenance and it makes me freak a little bit regarding these costs.

I just found a 2003 with 53,000 miles for 8k$, which is a fair price i think.

After reading many forums, the 2003 seems to be the last year before a new serie began in 2004. Am I right?

Would I expect that BMW solved most of the '99-'02 problems in 2003? (Two weeks ago, I was to purchase a '99 model, but after looking at it closely, there was a leak at the transmission/clutch displacement, just in front on rear tire and repair would be 2,500$ as per dealer).

So, I know the ride is awesome, but what about the maintenance and repair costs? I'm afraid to spend 1,000$ per year average in maintenance and repair to ride approximately 8,000miles per year.

Please give me your advices based on MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR COSTS, not on the ride itself.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Re: About to buy a 2003 K1200LT, any advices?

Advice is a little like opinions but I have an 03 and estimate my annual maintenance at about 250 to 300$. I now have only 63000 on the bike and perform most of my own maintenance. That estimate includes tires and synthetic lubricants, batteries bulbs and so on. I have had no major repairs to speak of. The bike does have a few quirks but most do. I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I have.
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Hi Francisco, and everyone! I just joined the sight as well, after buying the same bike (2003 K1200LT); it has 44k miles. I sold my '08 F800ST (which I truly loved) and went with the K because my wife wanted to start joining me (which I'm glad for).

However, I bought the bike with the stereo system not working. The BMW tech said that the actual radio/cd unit has a short in it and the best thing to do is leave it alone or buy a salvaged one that works and replace it. Otherwise, it would cost a chunk of money to repair.

I've been scouring the internet and found nothing as yet. Another thought I had was to hook the speaker system up to my iPhone and use a bluetooth system, like the Cardo Scala systems.

Any ideas from the group?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Thumbs up Re: About to buy a 2003 K1200LT, any advices?

I have an 03 and rode it 8333 miles this summer from Oregon to Pa and back. I love it and have learned to do maintenance myself. With help from folks on this forum, over the past weeks, I have:

changed the oil and filter
changed the diff fluid
changed the trans fluid
replaced the spark plugs
replaced the 02 sensor
repaired broken mirror clip
upgraded to HID lighting
replaced the fuel line quick disconnects
replaced the fuel injection inlet hose
replaced fuel filter
replaced air filter
installed new throttle cables

All this for the cost of parts alone. I had help from friends to show me the how and I furnished the nourishment and hydration! Buy an LT and you will meet a lot on new people and make a lot of new friends! The price you mention may be a tad high for a bike with 50,000+ miles but get her checked out by a mechanic and look over the maintenance records.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm

I think the major changeover was 2005.

I had a 2003 for a little over a year, pretty much to make sure I was OK on the bike and then I traded it on for a 2009 in 2010.

I did a 36K service. Tore it all the way down no problem. As long as you document where the long and short bodywork screws go it's no big deal.

$8K might be a tad high, I got my 2003 in 2009 for 8500 from a dealer via ebay.

If you can ride it check the clutch. Full throttle in 4th gear at 3000RPM does the engine go or the bike? I found my 2003 was probably going south engine would rev without speed increase. Not a difficult repair but a bit tedious.

My feeling is that you need to maintain this bike yourself. In that I see no difference in years as far as cost. This forum is invaluable in that regard.

That said, I have been hosed by Honda, Suzuki and BMW dealer maintenance so this isn't specific it is a sad state of affairs that I don't know of any "professional" I can trust to work on my bike and have not ever. We are on our own.

I tell anyone who will listen ( and some who won't because I am really big :-) ) that this is the best bike on the planet. Any year.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
However, I bought the bike with the stereo system not working. The BMW tech said that the actual radio/cd unit has a short in it and the best thing to do is leave it alone or buy a salvaged one that works and replace it. Otherwise, it would cost a chunk of money to repair.
Welcome to the forum L_Rudy--not sure if I can address your question but if I my radio ever goes out I pretty much made up my mind to do a Jensen install. It's a marine system built tough with great looks. Here is a link that you can check out. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...Jensen+install

We are glad that you have joined this great forum and there are some very smart folks on this forum that can and will help. In the future if you have a question just start your own thread and somebody will jump in with some very sage advice. Welcome to the funhouse.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:17 am

I have the 07 with the complete audio system, but would have had to buy the headphones and have an install done. Just north of 800 bucks.
I got on Amazon and bought the Scala Rider G4 from this outfit. For 2 headsets, it's $310.00. I have them linked to my Iphone or I could have linked it(bluetooth) all together to the Motorrad III. I haven't tried that yet. The interphone is excellent between sets, the blue tooth connection to the phone is great and the sound quality talking on the phone is great as well as the music from the iphone. I haven't tried Pandora yet. It took all of 10-15 minutes to install in the helmet. Full face Arai.

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Scala_Ri....144763.518041

This is one of the beat forums for anything I've seen. I've only had my bike just over a month, and I have more info than I can soak in.

Jeff

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by franncisco
Hi everyone, I had read a lot of your advices concerning the K1200LT - from '99 to '07 - maintenance and it makes me freak a little bit regarding these costs.

I just found a 2003 with 53,000 miles for 8k$, which is a fair price i think.
Francisco, so sorry for hijacking your thread on the radio thing! But, I'm just excited to be apart of this forum!

I've had my '03 LT for 2 weeks now, and I'm really beginning to enjoy it. I test rode several tourers the same size and this one was by far the nicest riding, most balanced bike. The braking and clutching were amazingly nicer, too. I traded my BMW F800ST for the LT, because my wife wanted to hop on board, and the ST just won't suffice for any length of trip for two-up. BTW, I paid $7400 for mine, with 44,000 miles, if that'll help (of course the radio doesn't work).

Rudy

post #9 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
We are glad that you have joined this great forum and there are some very smart folks on this forum that can and will help. In the future if you have a question just start your own thread and somebody will jump in with some very sage advice. Welcome to the funhouse.
Thanks a bunch Wade! Glad to be here. Thanks for the info on the Jensen, too.

Rudy

post #10 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyK12LT
I got on Amazon and bought the Scala Rider G4 from this outfit. For 2 headsets, it's $310.00. I have them linked to my Iphone or I could have linked it(bluetooth) all together to the Motorrad III. I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks for the info, Jeff! I also purchased the Scala Rider headsets, figuring the cheapest route was to use my iPhone. Do you know if there's a way to hook the speaker system up to an auxilary port that the iPhone could plug into?

Rudy

post #11 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 6:17 pm

My advice? Ride it like you stole it!
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Jeff! I also purchased the Scala Rider headsets, figuring the cheapest route was to use my iPhone. Do you know if there's a way to hook the speaker system up to an auxilary port that the iPhone could plug into?
Rudy,
I don't know. I'm new also to BMW and especially the audio system. so much of it is BMW proprietary equipment. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell us. That would be great if we could.

Jeff

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyK12LT
Rudy,
I don't know. I'm new also to BMW and especially the audio system. so much of it is BMW proprietary equipment. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell us. That would be great if we could.

Jeff
I found a two year old post here that talked about switching out the radio with a Jensen Marine grade unit (#MSR2007) that's supposed to work with an iPod. Since it was an old post, I did some searching and Jensen has a new unit (#JMS2212) that works with the iPod and iPhone, which is what I was interested in, since my iPhone can be used as a navigation devise, as well as music, phone, etc. I found it for anywhere between $186 and $230. As the post mentioned, there is a bit of modification to the radio control area of the bike, but it looks sweet, totally water proof, and will use the speaker system. I think that's the way I'm going to go. I'll be documenting with pics and video to be able to share with the group here!

I'm excited!

Rudy

post #14 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Just decided to sell my own 2005 LT, which only has less than 13k miles on it. The bike is immaculate, and includes matching "comm ready" Nolan helmets and matching mens/womens jackets.

Bike is located in Olympia, WA with clear title and ready to sell. I'm taking it to local dealer open house two weekends from now, so let me know if you might be interested.

The 2005 model year is a great bike, with many improvements over the earlier years.

My local email address is "[email protected]".

Dana in Olympia, WA
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:04 am

Quote:
I found a two year old post here that talked about switching out the radio with a Jensen Marine grade unit (#MSR2007) that's supposed to work with an iPod. Since it was an old post, I did some searching and Jensen has a new unit (#JMS2212) that works with the iPod and iPhone, which is what I was interested in, since my iPhone can be used as a navigation devise, as well as music, phone, etc. I found it for anywhere between $186 and $230. As the post mentioned, there is a bit of modification to the radio control area of the bike, but it looks sweet, totally water proof, and will use the speaker system. I think that's the way I'm going to go. I'll be documenting with pics and video to be able to share with the group here!

I'm excited!
Outstanding. Looking forward to the pictures. Thx!

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 7:09 am

Or, you can share it with the group in your Own topic post? Just a thought??

Quote:

I'm excited!
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelobird
Or, you can share it with the group in your Own topic post? Just a thought??
Definitely! Thanks Yelobird!

Rudy

post #18 of 19 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 10:48 am

I bought a 2001 Lt in 2007 with approx 35,00kms on it. Great bike, but last year on my way to alaska the rear bearing went on the final drive. This has been a major problem for the early LT's. Not sure if the problem was cured in '03, but later bikes came with a better bearing. So is the replacement if yours goes. To check it, look for fluid leaks around the final drive first, and also check the condition of the fluid. metal flakes are an ominous sign, but some flakes are normal part of wear. Another good check is to grab the rear wheel while on center stand and twist it. Any free play can be a bad sign. Any whining sound while riding can be a bad sign too. Mine started whining about 50 miles outside of Faribanks, so I slowed down and limped it in. Another piece of advice, if you are in Fairbanks and need service, don't expect to be treated well just because you ride a bmw. The dealer there is primarily a HD dealer and treat everyone else like garbage. If you need a new rear bearing, get the driveshaft bearing checked for wear at the same time.
Fuel leak-the plastic quick connects on these bikes tend to crack and leak after time. Dont wait til it happens (unless your insurance policy covers fire), replace them with the brass connects. Beemer boneyard has good ones. Another source of leaks that my bike had is the fuel rail. Make sure all connections and clamps are tight.
check the battery. if it looks like the original or more than 5 years old, replace. weak batteries wreck starters, especially on this bike. get the good one-sealed gel. They last and are strong.
tires and oil; lots of threads on here about what to use. research and make your own decisions, but I have found the Metz is the best tire (recommended by bmw too), although I have not tried the Avon storm yet, but heard good things. Oil- synthetic is all I use. engine, trans and final drive.costs a bit more but worth it if you want the engine etc to last. I got the KN air filter, but looking back dont see it necessary ro that it nakes a difference. some say it is not as good as the paper but that is debatable. I agree that it is probably not necessary so dont waste your money, unless you plan on racing the bike.
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your EXCELLENT advices!!! But it seems that the LT's are available at a cheaper price in the US than Canada!

Unfortunately, the 2003 I was looking at had too many things to do on it, so I'll wait to find a good one in mint condition!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in