Rough running won't accellerate - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Rough running won't accellerate

My bike has been setting for a month or so in the garage, ran fine last time I rode it. Now when I went to start it, smoked for a long time but has a problem revving up. Misses a little and acts like it not getting fuel. The bike is 2000 and has 11K miles on it. Searched the threads and can't seem to find a similar problem. Pulled the plugs and don't see a problem. It will idle ok when cold for a few seconds and then die. Any Ideas?? Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Talking Re: Rough running won't accellerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadash
My bike has been setting for a month or so in the garage, ran fine last time I rode it. Now when I went to start it, smoked for a long time but has a problem revving up. Misses a little and acts like it not getting fuel. The bike is 2000 and has 11K miles on it. Searched the threads and can't seem to find a similar problem. Pulled the plugs and don't see a problem. It will idle ok when cold for a few seconds and then die. Any Ideas?? Thanks, Mike

Try FRESH gas and high octane.

If it was sitting on it's side stand , that's why it smoked. I(f you're not going to ride it everyday, I'd use the center stand to park it. I learned to hold the bike as far to the right after shutting it off to allow oil on the cylinder skirts to drain out before leaning it back on the side stand.

Is the oil level at the bottom of the site glass on the side stand.

Just some things I'd check before thinking it being something more serious.

Good Luck,

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Talking Re: Rough running won't accellerate

A mouse nest in the air intake, thus starving it of AIR?

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Re: Rough running won't accellerate

thanks, for the suggestions, I thought about the mouse in the air box, because that is what it sounds like. I stripped her down and checked the air cleaner, looks like new. I've had the bike since it was year old. No problems, plugs are original, so I will replace them when I can. I live in the middle of nowhere. Going to drag week in Great Bend Ks. Tuesday so I'll pick some up. Don't really think that the problem because it will smooth out but won't rev up. Tried to take it out for ride and see if it would clean it self out, at first I could get it up to 30 or 40 with some missing, turn around and just barely got it back home. Maybe fuel filter??
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 4:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadash
Maybe fuel filter??
Given your symptoms, the fuel filter's certainly a candidate. Too bad it means working your way back in that far.

Your bike has very low miles for it's age. If the fuel filter doesn't fix things, start looking for stuff that might happen from sitting a long time. Oxidized connectors on an engine control something or other, gummed up injectors, stuff like that. Maybe the suction hose to the charcoal canister is cracked and sucking air just after starting.

Couldn't hurt at some point to dump in a bunch of techron, seafoam or star tron to clean out the fuel system a bit.

Good luck.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 4:46 am

Hi Mike, eventually some sediment out of your tank is blocking your fuel filter. Put some fresh fuel in and change the filter I think that will do it.

Hope could help you, Manfred
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Pulled the fuel pump and found the problem, the hose between the pump and filter had a hole in it. Changed the hoses, because I had them and not a filter, put the tank back on and it fired up and ran great. Tank was clean with not a trace of any trash in it, so I think I will be safe to put it back together and go ridding!!! We are going to Great Bend Ks. to the Drag week day 2 races. Got to see that 7 second street car run down the track. Thanks for you support, Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in