2000 K1200LT - What to ask about - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 6:44 am Thread Starter

2000 K1200LT - What to ask about

Hello All! Just joined the forum.

I got into biking this year. Bought a Vulcan 500 as it seemed to be a great starter bike. It was but is time to move on, especially now that wife is completely hooked on it too.

I came across a 2000 K1200LT but being a newbie to riding and knowing zippo about BMW's, other than they seem to have a great reputation, I am wondering what are the right questions I should be asking of the seller? The bike has about 40,000 miles, supposedly been well maintained and the seller has all records. Also is there 'normal' upcoming maintenace items I should not be surprise about? For example, $500 for a 40,000 mile schedule maintenace.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 7:40 am

Re: 2000 K1200LT - What to ask about

Here you go:
"For the 2000LT you want to make sure it has had the defective chip in the computer change to one that does not have hesitation during hot wx; make sure the stock defective starter was changed; make sure the crash pan for the tranny was installed. Look carefully for seepage where the clutch housing meets the tranny.

Oooooh! The speedo, by design, reads too high. Doing 80 on the speedo meat I was going around 72. This is a simple mod to fix that. However it takes a long time to strip the panels of to get to the back of the speedo.

BMW came out with “new” cables for the throttle, new rear disc to help get rid of the screeeeaching from braking.

If it still has rubber brake lines those MUST be replaced. Most go with steel lines. Figure on replacing the stock shocks every 22K or so. Count on replacing the stock low beam with a HID.

Make sure the cruise control works. It’s a real PITA to track down why it doesn’t work.

The stock seat got me wiggling around after 30 mins or so.

Since the front and rear brakes aren’t linked, changing the brake fluid is easy.

The first thing I did to mine was getting Speed bleeders for mine.

I took out the CD changer, use a cassette adapter and run my IPod into it.

Yup. The plastic screen on the radio fogs up. There are many posts on how to clear it up.

Changing the rear pads to “HH sintered?” improves braking and possibly gets rid of the brake screech?

2000s came with a stock tool kit—very handy.

You’ll find an answer to just about any question you come up with on this site.

Best from Gorham Maine.

Ooooooh!! The 24K maintenance is EXPENSIVE!! It involves taking the gas tank off. Easy to do but the time it takes to remove all of the panels and then put them back on is a black hole that you shovel time into.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 10:52 am

Most of the maintenance items are easy to do. You have an oil change due at 42,000. Plenty of how to help on the forum. Your 48k service is more involved and will require stripping off the Tupperware and pulling the fuel tank. Not a big deal just takes some time. Especially the first time.

The other items mentioned above like the brake lined is very good advice. The brake rotor noise is a sometimes thing and not all do it. It isn't dangerous, just annoying.

The stock shocks requiring changing every 20k or so might be a little misleading. LT's are notoriously under sprung. There has been success replacing only the springs with heavier progresssive spring designs.

The LT will be quite a jump from the Vulcan but definitely worth it.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 11:17 am

I've got a 2000 LT with 62000 miles on it. It is by far, the best bike I've had and I've had several over the last 45 years. Dealer maintenance is expensive. So far, the only dealer maint. I've had done is tire changes. I recently completed my 60k maint. By perusing these forums, I've identified and corrected all known shortcomings of the bike. I am confident the bike will give me another 100k trouble-free, lovely miles. the only thing I'm not sure of is if I have another 100k trouble-free miles in me....whatever I have left, though, will be great! I love this bike! If it does break before me, someone here has been there, done that and written an article on how to do it at home.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 11:41 am

I love my 2000 LT, and have had no problems with it at all. I would caution you that the LT is as big a bike as they come, and with the design that allows some really great lean angles, is a little top heavy. You may want to consider that this is a bike that can give you an exceptional ride however, it is not for the inexperienced. I came off of a 1800 Goldwing, and had little problem adjusting to the LT, and I have been riding since I was 14. If you are really green, and have only ridden a 500, you may want to consider something a bit smaller and easier to handle than the LT....But you need to do all this considering before your wife gets a feel of that very comfortable, heated, passenger seat on the LT, otherwise it will be you out practicing, practicing, practicing, on your new bike, until you are comfortable with the "big girl" (the LT)

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm

I'm going to agree with most of what my friend BecketMa has said, but...

I still have the OEM brake lines on my 2000 with 80+K miles. No problems. YMMV

In northern climes the hot weather hesitation isn't a big deal IMO, the fix is to unplug the airbox temp sensor. No need to change the bike's computer, although that was done to a number of bikes.
I am still using the original starter relay. If you battery gets low, don't try to start with a weak battery. If it cranks slowly, stop trying. Keep the bike on a battery tender during periods when you are not riding much. No need to change the starter relay. YMMV

"Cannister-ectomy", throttle cable upgrade, speedbleeders all good suggestions.
Your bike may already have this stuff done.

Feeding audio with a cassette adaptar is a simple way to get sat. radio or IPOD into the bike's system.

Learning to do the maintenance is a money saver and make you more "one with the bike".

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Here you go:
"For the 2000LT you want to make sure it has had the defective chip in the computer change to one that does not have hesitation during hot wx; make sure the stock defective starter was changed; make sure the crash pan for the tranny was installed. Look carefully for seepage where the clutch housing meets the tranny.

Oooooh! The speedo, by design, reads too high. Doing 80 on the speedo meat I was going around 72. This is a simple mod to fix that. However it takes a long time to strip the panels of to get to the back of the speedo.

BMW came out with “new” cables for the throttle, new rear disc to help get rid of the screeeeaching from braking.

If it still has rubber brake lines those MUST be replaced. Most go with steel lines. Figure on replacing the stock shocks every 22K or so. Count on replacing the stock low beam with a HID.

Make sure the cruise control works. It’s a real PITA to track down why it doesn’t work.

The stock seat got me wiggling around after 30 mins or so.

Since the front and rear brakes aren’t linked, changing the brake fluid is easy.

The first thing I did to mine was getting Speed bleeders for mine.

I took out the CD changer, use a cassette adapter and run my IPod into it.

Yup. The plastic screen on the radio fogs up. There are many posts on how to clear it up.

Changing the rear pads to “HH sintered?” improves braking and possibly gets rid of the brake screech?

2000s came with a stock tool kit—very handy.

You’ll find an answer to just about any question you come up with on this site.

Best from Gorham Maine.

Ooooooh!! The 24K maintenance is EXPENSIVE!! It involves taking the gas tank off. Easy to do but the time it takes to remove all of the panels and then put them back on is a black hole that you shovel time into.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 4:51 am

I'm a new kid to this group.......there's a lot of sharp folks here and a wealth of archived info to be found in the forum. I'll share my recently gained insights. I bought a '99 with 92K miles on it a few months ago....almost as a lark. I already have several bikes and have owned over 30 in the last 17 years. This bike came up on my radar and followed me home....kinda like a stray St Bernard.

My advice: if the bike's in decent shape and at fair price....get it! I love this bike!

Services prices on this model may seem higher than some....and are driven somewhat by the design which requires time to get body work, and often the gas tank, out of the way to get to things. If you do buy the bike, and are comfortable doing even some of your own servicing, it's worth taking the time to learn how to get the body panels off and reinstalled. It can be frustrating at first, but the second or third time it's really not a big deal.

Assuming you get the bike....a few random suggestions. Keep your tire pressure up.....42F...48R.....much higher than I'm used to on other bikes...but is important to good handling. If you hope to carry a passenger often, invest in an intercom of some sort. Makes the experience much more enjoyable for your partner and makes her more inclined to want to come along again. Permanently wired units are nice (I just installed one since my bike didn't come with one) but can be a bit tedious to install. Some of the new bluetooth set ups, like the Scala Rider are a low fuss way to get going.

If the bike runs fine, has decent records, and good tires.....get it!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 6:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks very much all!!!

I have been on other forums, none motorcycles, and have to say the gray matter library here seems quite excellent and deep.

I stopped by a BMW dealer to see if they had used 1200 I could sit on and ask a few questions. There was a 2000 - 1200 owner just leaving and he spent about 15 minutes with us. Had about 65K on his bike and said he as never done anything to it, other than standard maintenance, and he loves it. I sat on it for a few and noticed the leg angle is a bit different, the seat was a bit hard for my boney rump (but assume I could swap that out) and, after looking at the controls, I might need to go for pilot instrumentation training.

According to the seller the things he knows the big needs are all the upcoming fluid changes (brake, tranny, coolant, oil) and brakes, but he already has the pads and all the fluids.

Looking at each of the posted bike ownership histories I can see that nobody jumped from a starter big to their 1200. For me that is the biggest food for thought. Interesting too how a few of you went from Gold Wings to LT's.

Thanks again all. Certainly sounds like with experience or "practice, practice, practice" a K1200LT owner is a happy owner.

Cheers....
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:15 am

Welcome aboard Peter, you've come to the right place for any and all information on the LT (light truck) . The others have all provided great advice, I would also reiterate what Rich said about going from a Vulcan to the LT. If you are short legged like I am, she can be a bit challenging and even intimidating at times. Practice a lot in an empty parking lot, doing slow speed turns and stopping. Cardinal rule- never stop with the front wheel turned, keep it straight and look straight ahead. You will get into a riding situation where you have to back up and or turn around in a tight space, practice, practice, practice, and get real comfortable with handling the big girl before you take your bride on as a passenger.

Best wishes,

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:47 am

If you are considering the LT (and I have a 2000 and love mine) you might want to look in to purchasing the Paul Sayegh maintence video. I am not sure it it is still available, but it is excellent for walking you through the basic maintance, including oil and filter changes, rear drive oil, transmission oil, brake flush, break pads, fuel and oil filter (which includes taking the gas tank off) removing the front and rear wheels, coolant changes, and more. That video has probably saved me thousands of dollars!! I heartily recommend it if you can find one.
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberBoy
I sat on it for a few and noticed the leg angle is a bit different, the seat was a bit hard for my boney rump (but assume I could swap that out) and, after looking at the controls, I might need to go for pilot instrumentation training.

Cheers....
If you think you'll need instrument training.....then go look at a Gold Wing! I thought I was in a Learjet cockpit!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:25 am

Smile Re: 2000 K1200LT - What to ask about

Jeff. Are you sure you are a new guy here? It sounds like you've already figured out most of the tough lessons re: the LT that some take way too long to learn. Removing the tupperware to do maintenance is no different than working on any other fully faired bike. It comes with the territory. One of the big complaints is having to remove the fuel tank to replace the air filter. Search youtube for air filter change goldwing. The process is different but no less time consuming. The gent doing the wrench bending states that once you've done it you can do it again in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Hmmmmmmm. Just about the same amount of time to change the air filter on the LT.

You are really going to enjoy your new ride. Nothing else quite like it.

Make sure you upgrade the headlight to HID if it hasn't already been done. Makes those late night rides much more enjoyable.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamrider
I'm a new kid to this group.......there's a lot of sharp folks here and a wealth of archived info to be found in the forum. I'll share my recently gained insights. I bought a '99 with 92K miles on it a few months ago....almost as a lark. I already have several bikes and have owned over 30 in the last 17 years. This bike came up on my radar and followed me home....kinda like a stray St Bernard.

My advice: if the bike's in decent shape and at fair price....get it! I love this bike!

Services prices on this model may seem higher than some....and are driven somewhat by the design which requires time to get body work, and often the gas tank, out of the way to get to things. If you do buy the bike, and are comfortable doing even some of your own servicing, it's worth taking the time to learn how to get the body panels off and reinstalled. It can be frustrating at first, but the second or third time it's really not a big deal.

Assuming you get the bike....a few random suggestions. Keep your tire pressure up.....42F...48R.....much higher than I'm used to on other bikes...but is important to good handling. If you hope to carry a passenger often, invest in an intercom of some sort. Makes the experience much more enjoyable for your partner and makes her more inclined to want to come along again. Permanently wired units are nice (I just installed one since my bike didn't come with one) but can be a bit tedious to install. Some of the new bluetooth set ups, like the Scala Rider are a low fuss way to get going.

If the bike runs fine, has decent records, and good tires.....get it!

JD

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 7:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
The gent doing the wrench bending states that once you've done it you can do it again in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Hmmmmmmm.

Loren
Not with my feeble memory Loren. It would probably even take longer for me the 2nd time around

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in