Headlight 1 me 0 :-( - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Headlight 1 me 0 :-(

Ok I gave it another few hours tonight and still low and high beam headlights not working.
Thanks for the advice.
It's off to the dealer for me

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Re: Headlight 1 me 0 :-(

Can you remove the black headlight plastic cover under the nose cone and take a look at the ground connection? Maybe even take a picture and post. This was a common issue on pre-05 assemblies, and the fact that both Hi and Lo won't work indicate a ground issue.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Can you remove the black headlight plastic cover under the nose cone and take a look at the ground connection? Maybe even take a picture and post. This was a common issue on pre-05 assemblies, and the fact that both Hi and Lo won't work indicate a ground issue.
Gilles I did check all of the connections and the ground wire looks good. It is not burnt not broken nada:-( I did talk with the dealer and got additional recommendations check a few more things and still not working. Just frustrated and confused now

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:42 am

Get a piece of wire, attach it to a good ground and bypass the existing ground wire by just touching it to the ground connection if all else fails find a friend with a volt/ohm meter and check to see if you even have 12v going to the light..not hard to do you just need a meter

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 5:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Get a piece of wire, attach it to a good ground and bypass the existing ground wire by just touching it to the ground connection if all else fails find a friend with a volt/ohm meter and check to see if you even have 12v going to the light..not hard to do you just need a meter
Rich thanks for the advice I do have a volt/ohm meter. I did not bypass the ground but that sounds like a good idea.
Thanks

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #6 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 6:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
can not get any image into or attached to my post
since I am unable to figure out how to get a picture into a post I am doomed will never figure out the headlight

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 7:54 am

I feel your pain and frustration!!

I do not know what you have checked so far.

You can try a temp connection from the batt to the headlight. How ever it might not be easy to find a double female crimp connectors to fit the head lamp. But, you can take the oblong black cover off the head light assembly.

That gives you a simple circuit; the headlight will either work or be dead. From there you can go back to the stock ground, disconnect the temp negative run. Go back to the stock plus line, disconnect the temp plus line to the batt.

As I found out a couple of weeks ago, if all else fails, check the fuse.

Of course, if you take it to a dealer, take it stripped down.

Best from Gorham maine
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 10:40 am

There are only a few items it could be. Wiring, connectors, the high/low beam switch, and the bulbs.

It is not likely but it is possible that both bulbs are burnt out.

1.) Assuming that you still have quartz lamps and not HID check the filaments of both lamps to make sure they are intact.

2.) Run the ground from the negative terminal of the battery to the headlight bucket. If it works it is the ground path. Run a new brown wire to a good ground.

3.) Run a lead from the positive terminal of the battery to each of the headlight at the bucket. If it works now it is likely one or more fuses. Check every one of the fuses. The fuse situation on these bikes is sometimes rather obtuse. It seems like an unrelated fuse can have an effect on the circuit.

4.) If the above doesn't find the problem then it must be the wiring to/from the handlebar switch or the switch itself which would seem unlikely

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I feel your pain and frustration!!

I do not know what you have checked so far.

You can try a temp connection from the batt to the headlight. How ever it might not be easy to find a double female crimp connectors to fit the head lamp. But, you can take the oblong black cover off the head light assembly.

That gives you a simple circuit; the headlight will either work or be dead. From there you can go back to the stock ground, disconnect the temp negative run. Go back to the stock plus line, disconnect the temp plus line to the batt.

As I found out a couple of weeks ago, if all else fails, check the fuse.

Of course, if you take it to a dealer, take it stripped down.
Best from Gorham maine
Bob
Thanks Bob need some time and hopefully another set of hands to work on it.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
There are only a few items it could be. Wiring, connectors, the high/low beam switch, and the bulbs.

It is not likely but it is possible that both bulbs are burnt out.

1.) Assuming that you still have quartz lamps and not HID check the filaments of both lamps to make sure they are intact.

2.) Run the ground from the negative terminal of the battery to the headlight bucket. If it works it is the ground path. Run a new brown wire to a good ground.

3.) Run a lead from the positive terminal of the battery to each of the headlight at the bucket. If it works now it is likely one or more fuses. Check every one of the fuses. The fuse situation on these bikes is sometimes rather obtuse. It seems like an unrelated fuse can have an effect on the circuit.

4.) If the above doesn't find the problem then it must be the wiring to/from the handlebar switch or the switch itself which would seem unlikely

Loren
Loren thanks for the suggestions. I need to take some time to look into the ground more. The lamps are good.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 27 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I wish you were closer. This would be fun to troubleshoot but the troubleshooting needs to be very systematic and, because of the distance, accurately reported.

There should be no reason for this issue to have to go to the dealer.

Isn't there anybody in the area who can meet up and help this Guy out?

Ill bet he'd buy steak and beer all around.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #12 of 27 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I wish you were closer. This would be fun to troubleshoot but the troubleshooting needs to be very systematic and, because of the distance, accurately reported.

There should be no reason for this issue to have to go to the dealer.

Isn't there anybody in the area who can meet up and help this Guy out?

Ill bet he'd buy steak and beer all around.

Loren
That is more then for sure.
I brew my own beer

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 27 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 9:24 am

How are you doing trouble shooting your headlights?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #14 of 27 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:01 am

I am very interested in your findings.
I have a 2005 LT and the last couple of weeks my headlight would not come on as soon as I turned on the key. About five minutes later it would work. Both high and low beam headlight, the power winshield and the cruise control does not work. I believe there must be a relay some where that does not work. I have the repair manuel but not for the electrical system.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #15 of 27 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Well the saga continues. On Tuesday night a friend who is and electrical engineer helped me trouble shoot. Through careful testing we did find the ground in the headlight assembly was not functioning. The wiring harness from the headlight, the one that goes from outside the black plastic housing to inside the housing. There was 12 volts going to both the low and high beam. We bypassed the ground with one from the battery and the low and high beam worked. When we reconnected this connection the lights worked and passed the wiggle test. We thought we had identified and fixed the issue, the low and high beam were working. Until I was on my way home from work Wednesday night and the headlight went dark. I traveled the rest of the way home in the dark with the flashers going. When I got home I disconnected and reconnected the above-mentioned harness and all worked again. The end result is it is working for now. Here in Illinois it is getting dark earlier and earlier so I need my headlight. I did call the dealer and they are two weeks out for an appointment. I will keep the updates coming. Thanks again for all your help.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #16 of 27 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Dude! Dont take it to the dealer! You have identified the problem now just figure out what you need to do to fix it!

You almost have it whipped now finish the job.

If you need some ideas just take a few pics so the folks can let you know what you need to do.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #17 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Loren thanks for the words of encouragement. I set an appointment for October 6th, the dealer is that busy. I will continue to work on solving this issue. If by then I have not then I will let them have a stab at it. I can not get pictures to attach or imbed in my posts
Thanks again will keep you updated.

Quote:
Dude! Dont take it to the dealer! You have identified the problem now just figure out what you need to do to fix it!

You almost have it whipped now finish the job.

If you need some ideas just take a few pics so the folks can let you know what you need to do.

Loren

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #18 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:35 am Thread Starter

photo test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwags1.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	32974  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #19 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
photo test
That seems to be working!
Alternatively you can e-mail me your pictures and I will post them for you.
The ground issue was common on pre-05 LTs so I am not a bit surprised...
You are almost there, and with pictures posted this community will point you in the right direction.
I had to totally re-do the ground on my 99 when I installed both Hi and Lo HID as I had to drill out the lamp holder for the Hi beam, etc... During that process it became very clear how flimsy the ground tab was.
Thank goodness the 05 is a much better with separate light housings for Hi and Lo

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The ground wires are all brown. All you need to do is find a common point where several connect and run a new ground from the housing and tie it in. Also, try flipping the hi-low switch several times with the ignition on to see if maybe that's the issue. I have not heard of that in the LTs but it is a very common issue with motorcycles in general.

post #21 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 3:17 pm

I dunno??
But, my assumption is that the motorcycle mechanics are mechanics.

You are close to fixing your problem--you have identified that a direct run to the negative side of your battery solves the problem.

Maybe your friend can run a better ground for you?

In the past, there have been quite a few threads about running a better ground wire (modification that a dealer may not want to do?) for the headlights.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #22 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

I am going to continue to see if I can get another ground to the headlight.
I am also going to try and get the connector out we can better test it. As you know its tight working area under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I dunno??
But, my assumption is that the motorcycle mechanics are mechanics.

You are close to fixing your problem--you have identified that a direct run to the negative side of your battery solves the problem.

Maybe your friend can run a better ground for you?

In the past, there have been quite a few threads about running a better ground wire (modification that a dealer may not want to do?) for the headlights.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #23 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 1:08 am
cws

Garage

When I installed my motolights and Xenon ballast for high/lo to replace the halogen headlight, I ran a new ground wire from where the battery connects to the frame through to the front and up onto the frame at the front, not knowing how many farkles might need a better grounding point.
There's a small tunnel on the RHS of the engine for the loom that a new wire will go though, if you can feed it on the end of a stiff wire, like an unbent coat-hanger.... not easy to find but its there.
Someone else posted about it a few years back...., maybe with pics, can't quite remember.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #24 of 27 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Chris thanks for the advice. The lights are still working I am going to get into it more in the next few weeks, my buddy, who is willing to help me, is out of town.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
When I installed my motolights and Xenon ballast for high/lo to replace the halogen headlight, I ran a new ground wire from where the battery connects to the frame through to the front and up onto the frame at the front, not knowing how many farkles might need a better grounding point.
There's a small tunnel on the RHS of the engine for the loom that a new wire will go though, if you can feed it on the end of a stiff wire, like an unbent coat-hanger.... not easy to find but its there.
Someone else posted about it a few years back...., maybe with pics, can't quite remember.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #25 of 27 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
I am very interested in your findings.
I have a 2005 LT and the last couple of weeks my headlight would not come on as soon as I turned on the key. About five minutes later it would work. Both high and low beam headlight, the power winshield and the cruise control does not work. I believe there must be a relay some where that does not work. I have the repair manuel but not for the electrical system.
My problem turned out to be the load shedding relay. Put a new one in and all is well.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #26 of 27 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 2:36 pm

My 2000 LT had the exact same issue, and it was a bad ground. We did the bypass proceedure and used a new ground wire to a good ground connection.
post #27 of 27 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

With standard lamps, switch to low beam. If both lamps are on you have a bad ground!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in