Idling 22 K1200LTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Idling 22 K1200LTE

I'm new the the K1200LT and the lack of the old fashioned carbs. My bike sat idle for a year before I bought it. It sputtered a little when I started to riding it, but after new fuel and a few miles it now it runs fine. I recently replaced the air and fuel filter along with new plugs.

The weather is getting cooler now and I'm not sure what normal is with throttle body injectors in the heat or the cold. When I clutch and shift between gears the RPM's remain a little on the high side. Also, if I clutch the bike on the highway it takes a few seconds for the RPM's to return to 1,000, but it does make it there. At idle the bike occasionally idles a little high for a few seconds, but always comes back down to 1K. If you goose it a little to move up in traffic and then clutch it, the RPM's will go hold at about 1500 for a few seconds, then return to 1,000.

Is this normal? Am I over thinking this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Garage
Re: Idling 22 K1200LTE

no its not normal, first start cold it may go up to about 1200rpm for a minute or so to compensate for the richer fuel mixture then drop top a solid 8-900rpm. if you let go the throttle it should immeadiately drop to idle speed. how stiff is the throttle? maybe try some fuel cleaner, I think you might have a vacumn leak
HTH

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 7:01 pm

My idle was behaving the same way until I did the canisterectomy. I suspect the purge valve was not operating properly. It idles rock solid now and my gas mileage went up too.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I have a Clymer manual and I'm sure the vacuum hose check and canister procedures are listed. But just so I know how much time to allow....do I have to remove the tank, etc. for these?

Also, when I remove the cover there is a faint trace of fuel vapors that I can smell. Nothing major, but enough to notice. Is this a carbon canister issue. (I have recentlychanged the O-rings in the fuel quick disconnect lines when I changed the air and fuel filters).
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Also, with the above conditons stated, is it possible to damage the motor or dilute the oil with a high idle if it has been or will be ridden in the current state?
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Do you have the plastic quick clips or the metal. If plastic it could be a small crack in them that is giving or smell. Here is the link to the canister removal. There may be more but this is the one I found
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in