!!!???*&%$#***!! bolt for the handle bar cover - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

!!!???*&%$#***!! bolt for the handle bar cover

I have literally spent hours trying to either get that inside bolt out, or hours trying to get it back in.

Anyone figure out a solution to that problem?

Right now, buying a lift for my bike is not an option. I’m guessing that having her up on a lift makes it a lot easier?

I've been day dreaming about a longer bolt and a long spacer to bring the bolt head closer to the opening it gets inserted into? But, since it's metric, it would probably be hard to find in the USA?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: !!!???*&%$#***!! bolt for the handle bar cover

Bob, I'm chuckling sympathetically. I just did a fair amount of wiring on my bike which included mounting some wired accessories on the handlebars, necessitating pulling the trim covers several times. I found the upper bolt, the longer of the two, more troubling. The first time I did the re-assembly I threw down my torx driver in disgust, had a beer, and came back later. The beer didn't help much.

What I did that "sort of" worked was as follows. I have a little rolling stool I sit on that put me at eye level with the bar. I used a 1/4" handle driver with the right torx bit for the bolt head. Make sure the wires along the handlebar are routed so as not to interfere with the two bolt moldings to match up. Leaving the lower screw out to give a little more moveability I pushed the upper bolt in full, then, while looking between the two halves with a flashlight in my teeth, I sort of got things lined up and eventually managed to get the top in position to start threading on the bolt.

Sounds silly, and I felt silly....but eventually I got it to work. Leave the upper bolt a bit loose until the lower one is then installed.

Good luck
JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Last edited by Roamrider; Sep 8th, 2011 at 6:36 pm.
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 3:26 pm

You are right. If the alignment is not absolutely perfect, it is impossible to get the bolts started. I have a very fine stone grinder and I grind the tips of the bolts..just to put a very sleight cone shape on the begining of the treads, this way it finds it's a way easier.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Bob,
The problem is the angle of the bolt, it is deceiving. I use a long finishing nail to line it up and I use a torx head only (about 2" long) not the long screwdriver. Every time I had trouble it was because I was starting the screw at the wrong angle.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

I've figured out how to get the bolts started, and finally get them to close the handle bar cover. But I'm never sure if I'm on the bolts when I go to re-tighten them.

The REAL *&#$^!!??* is trying to un-screw those dam things!!

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:13 pm

i use a lighted mirror, place it on center console and you can see the bolt very clearly
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Torx? I use a 3mm ball allen to remove and replace. And yes sometime they are a biotch to get started.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Torx? I use a 3mm ball allen to remove and replace. And yes sometime they are a biotch to get started.
+1. jzeiler got it. It is not Torx. I use exactly same methodology. Sometimes I have used mirror and torch to see where to insert the tool.

Born to be wild so why not

post #9 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 1:32 am

I'm confused.

I've had my handle bar covers off a dozen times in the last 12 months. I've never had an issue getting the bolts started.

Are you tightening the first one before installing the second one? That might explain it.

Brett Anderson

Australian by birth, American by choice!

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your time posting suggestions.

I hadn't thought of a torch? But, while I'm swearing at the dam thing, I might be tempted to torch my bike! :-))

post #11 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 10:27 am

My bad.......I think I'm the one that said "torx" in this......so much for late nite posts.......they're allen bollts....sorry.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
1995 R100GS
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Mine are torx--straight from the factory.

I've been daydreaming away about this. I had planned to replace mine with Allen head.

I was thinking that if I went with Allen head I could cut up an Allen wrench and cut it off so that it was just visible, and then JB weld it into the Allen head?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Mine are torx--straight from the factory.

I've been daydreaming away about this. I had planned to replace mine with Allen head.

I was thinking that if I went with Allen head I could cut up an Allen wrench and cut it off so that it was just visible, and then JB weld it into the Allen head?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
Methinks this needs an Ari "The Farkle King" re-engineering solution with a touch button to screw & un-screw the covers!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 4:38 pm

I'm gonna go in a hole and hide......my bar trim cover bolts "are" torx........and I got to reading this thread and and and began to doubt my memory of a late nite a few days ago......2AM when I last put mine together.. But yes....I was able to hold the torx bolt on the head of the hand driver and wiggle the top half of the trim piece with my other hand.....................and worry the parts back together.

I"ll shuddup and let the experienced hands here help. All I know is I agree with the original post that at times the reassembly of those trim bits for the bar can be frustratingly fussy.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
1995 R100GS
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Oooooooooh!

If you only knew how many times I've forgot or change information around during the 9 years I've been on this site!?

I appreciate the time you spent offering suggestions.

YES!! It's time for Ari to whip this silly time wasting way to bolt the covers together.

Best from Gorham Maine
Bob

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have literally spent hours trying to either get that inside bolt out, or hours trying to get it back in.

Anyone figure out a solution to that problem?

Right now, buying a lift for my bike is not an option. I’m guessing that having her up on a lift makes it a lot easier?

I've been day dreaming about a longer bolt and a long spacer to bring the bolt head closer to the opening it gets inserted into? But, since it's metric, it would probably be hard to find in the USA?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
I had mine on and off several times last year while installing my CB radio. It took a little fiddling, but I didn't have any major problems with the covers.

The key things for me were:

1. Be sure the bolts/screws are lined jup straight with the brass insert they go into. This is tricky as the curve of the covers does not give you a good reference to go by.

2. Once you get one in place, only screw it in a couple of turns to be sure it is engaged well in the threads. DON'T tighten any of the bolts more than this until they are all in place. Then carefully tighten them rotating from one bolt to another taking a few turns on each.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 22 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Quote:
my bad, I meant to say 3 mm short allen, opps!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #18 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:53 pm

When you open the bar covers for the first time and discover that one of the little brass threaded doo hickeys is loose in the plastic holder(i.e. the plastic piece is broken) you can tie it down permanently with a couple dabs of Gorilla Glue.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Quote:

+1 with John.....mine is a 3mm allen head also.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 4:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Methinks this needs an Ari "The Farkle King" re-engineering solution with a touch button to screw & un-screw the covers!
Paul, thanks for the suggestion!

Actually my only problem regarding these bolts has been the the fact that I'm having too many wires inside the handlebar covers. This has resulted to cracking the plastic "nut" part off of the upper cover. Some epoxy and fibreglass has cured that problem.

As far as the bolts themselves, I also have the 3 mm allen screws and have never encountered any other particular problems getting them started. Once I dropped the lower screw in the black hole under the radio stingray but found it there a couple of months later when undressing the bike.

Instead of motorizing these bolts I have looked seriously at my rear mud flap. As the standard mud flap is so short the rear of the bike gets dirty real easy with the slightest amount of water on the road. So it would be nice to have a motorized rear mud flap extension that you can lower down when the road gets wet and then back up on the sunny weather.
Especially when the new K 1600 has the adjustable rear mud flap but the poor thing one has to adjust manually!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #21 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 7:19 am

Now Bob,... remember what the doctor said about your blood pressure! Do you need a time out?

Quote:
I've figured out how to get the bolts started, and finally get them to close the handle bar cover. But I'm never sure if I'm on the bolts when I go to re-tighten them.

The REAL *&#$^!!??* is trying to un-screw those dam things!!

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #22 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 10:45 am

I think most have had this problem, I know I did as I've had the bike apart many times and the covers were the last thing to go on an were a pain.

Until... I took the 4 bolts over to the grinding wheel. I ground the ends to about a 45° point and then ran them through the correct die to recut the threads correctly. And also from having them off and on enough times I now know that I have to use the shortest combo I have for the Torx size and the angle they want to go, and that combined with the pointed screw, it's not much problem to get them going. I usually start with the short ones up front and once I get them going a couple of turns, I know the long ones are going to be right at the correct place and I just need to play the angle a tad to get them going and then I tighten all of them down.

Hope this helps a bit.

Later

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in