BMW Battery Tender - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

BMW Battery Tender

I did a dummy on Saturday .... I was making a drink holder and put the key in the position where the radio is on but not the ignition so I could move the handlebars .. needless to say ... when I finished working I quickly spun the key to the "camp" position where the lights in front stayed on .. Today of course when I went to ride it ... battery dead ... not knowing any better I put a charger on the battery and let it charge at 2a for about an hour ... bike started right up but I decided to get a BMW tender ... the little grey one that plugs into the accessory port, BMW claims this is the only charger that will charge 05 and greater batteries on the bike (I have an 06) ... I have four questions about this tender:

1) when I plugged it into the acc port near the passenger headset connection, nothing happened ... just the led for power on .... I then plugged it into the acc port just above the shifter lever ... the red 1/3 light came on .... question ... is there a fuse for the passenger acc port that maybe bad? or is this connection possibly disconnected?

2) with the tender plugged into the acc port above the shifter, the 1/3 red led has been on for about two hours ... is this normal? and how long does the tender take to fully charge the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Re: BMW Battery Tender

It will take most of a day, probably over night to fully charge a dishcharged battery. Keep in mind that the tender is only putting out about 1.5 amps.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Wink Re: BMW Battery Tender

The outlet for the passenger is switched with the ignition, so it will not be live with the ignition off. The one down by the left knee pad is hot at all times, so this is the only one that works for the charger.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses ... as usual this site has great info
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 7:22 am

It will take a very long time for that light amp TENDER to bring a fully discharged battery up, could be a couple of days if at all. You need a CHARGER not a tender for recovery purposes, a tender works fine for maintaining a charged battery during non riding periods.

As for the BMW tender to which I think you are referring, the LT does not fall in the category of 05 and later as you indicated. That reference is for bikes that have a CAN BUS which the LT does not have. It will still work plugged into an outlet that is hot all the time as the other posters have described.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:59 am

Also, the BMW Battery tender I have came with three connections. One was the accessory plug that you are talking about. THe other two were batter clips and a plug with a fourth fire to permanently wire to the positive and negative batter poles and enough wire to trail out from under the seat, and that works best. 5-10 minutes of wiring (well, five minutes looking for the nut I dropped) and a quick Throttle Position Sensing reset, and the pig tail was there. I have been using it for about a year now, and it works no matter where the key is.

+1 on needing a charger. Even if this does work after a day or two on the battery tender, it is not really meant for that kind of load. Of course, taking a two hour drive will probably do just as well and be more fun. But put the battery charger in your side bag just in case.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

The battery tender did just fine ... this morning it was at 3/3, green light ... I wanted to get this tender anyway ... In Colorado sometimes there are weeks with no riding ... not often ... but sometimes ... so it will be good to have the tender ... I already have several chargers ... all manual and will overcharge ... so this will be a nice addition ... expensive ($160) but nice ... not as bad as a BMW drink holder ... I mean ... what's up with that .... $157 to hold a bottle of water ... the holder I made is not pretty .. yet ... but it allows me to use the butler system
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:19 pm

The Butler systems? What's that! I want one!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
The Butler systems? What's that! I want one!

Loren
Check out glassact.com ... they don't make it for bmw's ... but I made a mount that works with the mirror mounts on the hand controls ... still working on improvements to make it pretty as well as functional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in