USB Hardwire Kit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

USB Hardwire Kit

Hi guys, Just ordered a All Weather USB Hardwire Kit from Cyclenutz to keep my Ipod charged while connected to the bike and playing music and avoid hanging extra cables outside of the bike. Question is, will it be ok to drill a small hole on the pocket right by the flash light bracket to run the wires? (I can always put black silicone) It`s just a negative and a possitive will take a very small diameter hole, probably 2 to 3mm. And will it be ok to wire it directly to the battery? I know they don`t suck too much power but I don`t want to kill the battery in case I forget about it. I can always find a ignition switched power sourse to avoid this and even run a fused relay if I have to, but it will be nice if I don`t have to go thru all that. Personally I think this will be a great way to accessorize the bike for your music needs on long trips, You guys should check it out at cyclenutz.com and look for it. (unless i`m a bit too late for that since I`m a k1200lt newbie). Any ideas will be apreciated.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.

Last edited by mechanic; Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Re: USB Hardwire Kit

I would advise using a switched power source as the LT is a little difficult to push start.

And a fuse is also a good idea.. Just in case..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just be careful as you drill the fuel tank is right under that clip!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advices.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:15 pm
cws

Garage

There's plenty of info on flat batteries from the "DICE" unit's constant live "feature" not switching off from charging ipod's/iphones... only takes a couple of days to kill the battery.
I know your not using a DICE, but....
I'd go a switched source as a precaution for any additional wiring... take it from the rear powerlet that's pretty unused for the most part, simplest and cleanest switched source to access, afaik.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 6 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 1:50 pm

If i'm understanding correctly, I don't think sealing that space is much of a concern. You will want either some clearance around the wires so the hole doesn't abrade the wire insulation or a hole big enough for a proper rubber grommet to provide sealing and protection.

Also, if you are going to use silicon and/or make the hole just big enough for the wire, you are setting yourself (or service person) up to disassemble everything to get the stingray off. You may want to consider making the hole big enough to get the end connector out easily and finding a more removable/replaceable solution for the entire wire harness.

Just my thoughts,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in