headlight adjustment cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

headlight adjustment cable

the other day, in the dark..I noticed my headlight was pointing very high and the adjuster had no effect. So, today I looked at it....it was hard to see and hard to see what was wrong. So, I backed the adjusting knob off...until it "popped" I guess I broke something. I'm feeling particularly inept today...would one of y'all guide me in this a little? I know...it's such a little thing. If I can't deal with this what the hell am I doing with this complicated of a bike. Just humor me please. It's an off day.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Re: headlight adjustment cable

You may have uncsrewed the cable by turning it in one direction. The lamp housing is spring loaded and it pulls the lamp upwards--this is the default position. The cable must be attached into the bolt it turns in--that way as you turn the knob, the cable will pull the headlight down to a desired position. It's not easy to get to and you may have to remove the front cone/nose of the bike. At least that is how I attached mine--others may chime in.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. My Clymers manual has one very brief paragraph with a picture that doesn't look like mine. I did break something near the adjusting knob. I guess I'll have to remove to fairing to find out more...tomorrow. I may actually be coordinated by then....

2006 DL650 [Red]

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:43 pm

It may not be broken, check the the small screw on the knob...it may have released the cable it's self.. That small screw must be tight and to hold the end of the cable.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:57 am Thread Starter

I snaked the cable out with the nose cover in place and some of the plastic on the cable is broken. I ordered a new cable from max bmw and jury rigged the light with a spacer...until the part gets here. It really doesn't translate well in writing...but there is a piece broken off the end of the cable. Thanks for your input.

2006 DL650 [Red]
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross
I snaked the cable out with the nose cover in place and some of the plastic on the cable is broken. I ordered a new cable from max bmw and jury rigged the light with a spacer...until the part gets here. It really doesn't translate well in writing...but there is a piece broken off the end of the cable. Thanks for your input.
Your headlight can be adjusted by using the horizontal and vertical adjustment screws on the housing. The knob is used for minute adjustment, such as when you are loaded and the bike has its nose a bit more up in the air than usual. So not having the cable in place should not be too big of a deal. On my 05 I have the Ducati Design assembly and the cable is not used at all and is disconnected. I adjust the light aim with the screws, just like a car.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Gilles, I guess it becomes self evident...how to adjust the headlight with screws, when the nose piece is removed. My clymers says ask bmw to do the gross adj and fine tune with the adj cable. I can rarely afford to think about asking bmw to do anything....maybe 2005 is different? I did a search and found how to adjust the headlight, without the adjusting cable. Thanks Gilles

2006 DL650 [Red]

Last edited by lartross; Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:32 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I just had mine repaired at the dealer. I thought it was just a knob issue, but they replaced everything, knob, cable & a new Xenon headlamp assembly ..It was covered under my extended warranty. Total cost was $1651.00.....they dont repair , they replace....$0.00 cost to me..if the warranty would not have covered it, i would have lived without the ability to adjust.... :...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Garage

Yeah... I'm having problems with my '99 LT adjusting the headlight high enough. After taking everything apart, the best I can come up with is that the spring which pushes the headlight beam upward is weak. So, now I have to figure out if that part is available to fix it. I hope the spring is available separately so I'm not forced to buy an entire assembly for hundreds of dollars. I'll post what comes of my headlight aiming problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in