Iron Butt Of Iron Butts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 7:23 am Thread Starter
T25

Thumbs up Iron Butt Of Iron Butts

"Tom Loegering took eight-and-half days to travel through 49 states on his motorcycle.
Then he turned around and made the trip again."

here's one of the stories:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/loc...file_multiline

i maintain Tom's '05lt that completed this ride and the others before it. It is always a pleasure to work with him and i can't imagine what he will do to challenge himself next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 7:40 am

Re: Iron Butt Of Iron Butts

That was an amazing accomplishment.

I know that I will be starting a fire storm by my comments, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to make such a long, quick trip when there is so much to see and experience, if you just slow down and stop to take advantage of the time. To just see how quickly you can cover a distance seems like such a waste of valuable time.

I say this as I get ready to leave on my first Iron Butt 1,000 Saturday morning. I was not planning to do this and only agreed after being asked to join someone at the last minute. Maybe I'll change my mind and have a different opinion after I finish!

Maybe it's like climbing the highest mountain in the quickest time or making the most number of skydives in 24 hours.

Personally, I think I'd rather enjoy the moment and stretch out the experience. Crossing the US in 2-3 weeks would be more enjoyable and scenic.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:38 am

LD riding is something that can get addictive. When I bought my first LT I never even thought about it, and did not even know there was an Iron Butt Association. A friend in the San Diego BMW Owners Club got me interested in doing a SS1000. Got hooked pretty quickly after that.

If I were to get a bike again, I would probably try to stay with the flower smelling, and not get back into timed LD riding. Been there, done that.

I do remember that on some of my LD rides I would pass something and think "Wish I had time to stop and check that out." Now I would. Timed LD is mostly a challenge to one's self. I did many 1000 mile days, a BB, BBG, and the 10/10ths, so have nothing to prove to me any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

I know that I will be starting a fire storm by my comments, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to make such a long, quick trip when there is so much to see and experience, if you just slow down and stop to take advantage of the time. To just see how quickly you can cover a distance seems like such a waste of valuable time.

I say this as I get ready to leave on my first Iron Butt 1,000 Saturday morning. I was not planning to do this and only agreed after being asked to join someone at the last minute. Maybe I'll change my mind and have a different opinion after I finish!

Maybe it's like climbing the highest mountain in the quickest time or making the most number of skydives in 24 hours.

Personally, I think I'd rather enjoy the moment and stretch out the experience. Crossing the US in 2-3 weeks would be more enjoyable and scenic.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 10:08 am

awesome! T25 i am wondering about your shop? name? location? Thank you
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:45 am

[QUOTE=DanDiver]That was an amazing accomplishment.

I thought it-- you said it. They say don't knock it until you try it but to me its a little like using roller blades to view an art gallery. Be safe. I'll be looking for your report when its all said and done.

Last edited by Samir; Sep 7th, 2011 at 11:47 am. Reason: mistake
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 12:05 pm

easy answer. People are competitive. Always have been. Can't see why I would want to eat more hot dogs than anyone else, but to someone, it is a real challenge and the excitement they feel is no different than the excitement you feel doing those competitive things you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Long distance isn't for everyone. As much as I enjoy it I don't know how often I would burn miles just for the sake of burning miles. I usually have an ulterior motive. I often chose to ride rather than fly for cross country business trips or schedule vacation rides that are longer than time allows. Thus I find myself 'needing' to cover serious miles to stay on schedule. This gives me the fun and excitement of long distance riding without merely wearing out another bike. And yes, it is addictive. The challenge of beating last years time to the same destination or a new personal best for miles covered in a day is intoxicating.
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Riding distance for time is fun, but if I have the time, I prefer the "let's see where this road leads" approach. My wife hates not having a definite plan, but..... she's getting used to it. She can't do LD anyway. If I'm doing that she has to stay home, fly or cage.

Hmmm, looks like that places me in Dan's bucket.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in