Likely a new owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Likely a new owner

Hello, I'm likely purchasing a 2002 KLT-C in the very near future. I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks and have soaked up more information about the bike than I know what to do with.

Currently riding a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST. Test rode the 02 LT and am in love. The riding position, luggage, and comfort for a passenger are all big pluses.

The bike I'm looking at is at about 50,000 miles. The owner says he's never had a final drive or clutch issue. The bike is immaculate. He just purchased a Goldwing trike and doesn't need the LT any longer. The LT just had a new ABS unit installed at Gina's BMW in Iowa City. It has new Metzlers front and rear. The only niggle on the test ride was the cruise control. But, the owner wiggled cables under the front end, throttle cable?, and it worked fine after that. The bike had the j-pegs which seemed great for my 6'6", 260lb frame. Something that I'd definitely want on the bike.

All seems well. The bike looks and handles great, the owner seems like a good person and was extremely knowledgeable about the bike. I've heard good things about Gina's BMW, any input from this group?

I'm excited to get the bike, but have the usual concerns over making a major purchase.

Anything I'm missing, or should be checking before completing this purchase?

Great site here. I've learned a lot and look forward to being able to contribute as a fellow LT owner in the future.

IASprint (might need a name change)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Re: Likely a new owner

Hi and welcome.
50k, can you see the service records or were they done by the owner? Even if by the owner, at least the log of maintainence records.

Big bike, but your a big guy,
If original shocks ( no way) ya might upgrade.. Well worth the money.

No idea about Ginas, but you can check here on this site. If it happened, its on here.

Good luck on your quest.

Keep us posted.

Mikey

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 6:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've owned my LT for almost three years and Gina's has done all the service. They are great to work with and so far the service has been very good.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 6:57 am

Welcome aboard Tim, you have come to the right place for information on the LT, as you said, maybe more than you can process.

IMHO, the 2000 is a great year especially due to the ABSII system which is much simpler to service and non integrated. I agree with Mikey on the shocks. I have 68k on my 99 and never a sign of final drive failure.some fail some don't, there is a lot written on the subject. I am a firm believer in doing my own maintenance and regularly, the LT likes that.

Best wishes on you decision, and as they say around here" Buy it and ride it like you stole it."

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:10 am

I have a 2000 LT, Basalt, and I personally am very happy I don't have the servo assist brakes or the electric center stand. My bike has 64000 miles, and no rear drive issues or clutch. I did buy a used rear drive a couple of years ago just for insurance. Haven't have to us it yet--knock on wood! I do have a faulty ABSII unit, but the nice thing about it is the brakes still work great--just no abs. Still the best braking system I have ever had on a bike. On the newer servo assist abs, if the unit goes, the brakes go. It then becomes a "must" fix.
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:32 am

Bought my '99 with 92K miles on it. Love it. As others have said, the brakes are simpler than the '02 and later units. If the bike is in overall good condition, don't let the miles keep you from buying it.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 3:57 pm

I have heard good things about Ginas and every time I stop they are very helpful.

50,000 doesn't scare me. I would rather have an 02 with 50000 then an 02 with 5000.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
50,000 doesn't scare me. I would rather have an 02 with 50000 then an 02 with 5000.
I actually had two 02s in front of me back in march one with 50k+ and the other with 9k, I went with the 50k+ I could only guess why a 9 year old bike was only ridden 9k miles and scared to death to be the one that found out it had issues when it reached 12 to 20. Figure 50K was a good break in number for a BMW most things that where going to break would have done so by then. (knock on wood)

I've enjoyed my 02 this season though once I got comfortable on it and started riding in higher revs an oil leak showed its self around a stripped valve cover bolt.. par for the course when you buy used. The hardest thing for me to get used to was the integrated breaking, especially riding two up, but I've gotten used to it now. The only thing I want to change on the bike is the windshield which I will be doing in the next month, the stock one tends to fog easily at it's lowest position puts the top line right in my field of vision. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam and the fit of the bike has been nice.

Good luck on your purchase.

-Preston

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments folks. I spoke to Gina, at Gina's BMW about the bike. She concurred that the bike is in excellent condition and that they've done all the 12,000 mile service intervals. She also offered to sell me one of the LT's she has. She wants about a grand more though. Although the one at Gina's is and LT-E vs. the LT-C I'm looking at.

Hopefully within a week I'll be posting pics of me with my new bike.

IASprint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in