HELP: Considering Used LT and Have Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

HELP: Considering Used LT and Have Questions

Greetings fellow riders and MOA members,

I have a 2011 R1200RT and it is simply wonderful. It does everything I ask of it and I will not give it up. However, last weekend I put 500 miles (each way) on the bike and it damn near killed my backside and knees.

I am 42 years old, 6'2 and 200lbs. The seating and peg position on the RT are fine for most rides but the pegs are not low enough to prevent fatigue on long rides. Additionally, there is no practical place for highway pegs to straighten my knees. I looked into a couple of aftermarket highway pegs at the MOA rally in Bloomsburg this year but nothing really worked in terms of fit and postin. Lastly, I want to bring my girlfriend along. No way she would last on the RT....needs more comfort and stability on the back seat over extended trips.

So I am considering adding a used LT to my collection. Couple of questions if you will:

1. Can you lower the original pegs on the LT?
2. Can you add aftermarket highway pegs that really allow you to straighten the knees?
3. I am looking at 2006 to 2009 models. Is there a place I can see the changes standard equipment and options from year to year?
4. Any other suggestions or recommendations for a new LT rider are always appreciated.

Warm regards all,
MJM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Re: HELP: Considering Used LT and Have Questions

1. Yes you can move the peg down and forward by an inch and a half--for about 145 bucks from Suburban machinery. ( frankly it's not enough-but it is something)
2. Yes you can fit highway bars under the tip over wings--both BMW and after market.
( I took mine off because I couldn't spread my legs wide enough to feel comfortable--but it does put your legs forward quite a bit. ) Just imagine, they sit almost up front and out of the tip over wing .
I many times dangle my legs when on open road, just to relieve cramps--but frequent stopping is the real answer.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

OK, good to know....any thoughts on where to find reliable information on model year changes? Also, any thoughts on which model years to avoid?

Cheers,
M

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 3:58 pm

The 1999-2004 are all basically the same except for the braking systems. The 1999-2001 have the ABSll and are not integrated brakes. Beginning in 05, the major changes were in the headlight configuration, the electric center stand, the riders seat, an addition 10-15 hp and a change in the front end configuration. The "cockpit" gauges and so forth were modernized too, and the riders seat was changed slightly. The 05 on are all servo assist ABS and intregrated. Again, the 05 and newer have two headlights, one high beam and one low beam. I know it is reputed the 99-01's are the bikes most of the rear drive failures occur on--although I think there are many of the newer bikes that have had those same issue. I have a 2000 LT with 64000 miles and haven't had an issue yet with the rear drive, and frankly I like the non servo assist brakes better. They are much easier to flush and service. It is also easier to change the oil since I don't have an electric center stand to deal with. I have ridden the 05 style LT's, and frankly I don't see much difference in the way the bike handles, even at low speeds. My friend Bill has an 05, and he consistently gets about 2-3 miles a gallon better gas mileage with his even with the more powerful motor. I suppose if I were getting a newer LT, I would probably look for an 05 or newer one, but I really do like my 2000 just fine.
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Well, I'm only 5'8" with a 28" inseam, but I have the seat on my '99 LT in the raised position and when I move up on the seat like at stop lights, I can put both feet on the ground. I purchased the lowering blocks that lower the pegs about 1" and that was a great help to me. You can find info on them here on this site. I think I've heard that the later LT's were raised up a bit also.

I would venture to say the Mick-O-Pegs will be just right for you. After you get used to just raising your lower foot up slightly when taking it deep into a turn, it will be easy on your legs. Have a couple of friends on LT's and after seeing my pegs, one has changed to the Mick-O-Pegs and the other wants to. Also a GL rider in our group has put them on his Goldwing.

I recently returned from a 6,000 mile trip from Ga to Nova Scotia and up through parts of Canada, and the Mick-O-Pegs and the lowering blocks were knee savers for me. I'm 73 and the knees aren't as springy as they used to be.

I also found on some pretty long day rides that the stock seat on my '99 was all I needed and that saved me a good deal of money as I'd thought about taking a trip to northern California and having a Russell All Day Long made while I waited.

One other thing I'd do would be to put on a Back-Up backrest and get that adjusted so you can lean back a tad when you are on those Mick-O-Pegs. That, cruise control and something soothing playing in your helmet and the miles just melt away.

Ride Safe

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Thank you friends, question, when did BMW include (if it did) Bluetooth on the bike? My new RT has it but not sure the LTs do?

Also, any other upgrades that are a must for long-distance rides or safety? I have Moto lights and P3s on my RT....love them. I assumed I would do the same on the LT.

Thoughts,
M
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:12 am

Hi MJM,

I can't add much to what the others have said, but what I wanted to comment on was the change from the RT to the LT. I rode my RT for a long time and a lot of miles and always had a sore butt. I went the route of various seat enhancements and 2 different aftermarket seats. I finally changed up to an LT and have been fairly comfortable ever since and my wife will now ride with me. She went for one short ride on the pillion of the RT and said forget about it. She loves the LT. My 2 cents.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:26 am

Mick-o-pegs will definately allow you to straighten your legs out considerably. I put them on my 99LT. It does take a bit of getting use to having your feet lower to the road but gives some needed relieve on long rides! Multi seat positions also gives a break on the posture.
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:56 am Thread Starter

I have a line on a 2006 LT with only 12,000 miles. Anything about this particular year I need to be aware of? Anything I need the dealer to look at in terms of service?

Thoughts,
M
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 10:00 am

Here is a link to the acc. page.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ccessories_faq

I think you will find all kinds of items you can get out of these.

To me here are the must haves:

Good seat - pick your poison
Windshield - I and the wife like the Cee Baily #2
HID upgrade
Mick-o-pegs
Driving lights
Intercom
Backrest
3rd brake light if you don't have factory luggage rack

Anything else is nice but don't have to have.

As for the 2005 up years if I remember it was kind of a Chinese menu approach so you can't point to one model and say this is what is on it for sure. There are some standard items but things like intercom and a few other items were options on some years.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 10:24 am

I made a 8333 mile ride to the BMOA rally this summer. I had terrible sciatica all the way. At the rally, I splurged and had Mick-O-Pegs installed and was able to ride all the way home with absolutely no leg pain! The lower peg position is just the rite place for me. Simply have two optional places to put your feet adds so much to the comfort on a ride. I also added a Airhawk Cushion and a Alaska sheepskin for my bum.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #12 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmorrismd
I have a line on a 2006 LT with only 12,000 miles. Anything about this particular year I need to be aware of? Anything I need the dealer to look at in terms of service?

Thoughts,
M
Yes, there is one huge lurking issue waiting for you...a test ride is hazardous to your wallet!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:30 am

I heartily endorse Mic O Pegs too. I have them on my 2000, and love them.
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:12 pm

OK now hold on....

You already have a better, newer bike that the LT...

The seating position is similar on both bikes so don't think you're getting anything more than a battleship to keep balanced...

What you need is a proper seat for the RT. Maybe some barbacks and footpeg lowering kit..
I'm not sure about the new ones but suburban machinery makes them for the LT and probably for the RT too....

My Russell seat and some barbacks made my RT extremely comfortable...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I think the big thing is that the SO will really like the LT over the RT. As we all say if the wife is happy everybody is happy.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmorrismd

Thoughts,
M

I have an 06 and I don't think they changed any to present. Beware of the Mic-O-Pegs. If you are 6ft and short bodied your shins may hit the back of the tip-over wings when stretched out. I will be selling/trading my 06 soon 14k on it. The custom seat is a good investment. Mine is only 6 months old and based on your size should fit you perfectly. It does make a big difference and if your butt is comfy, you will be supprised how much more comfy your legs will be. I use J-Pegs and when i went out this summer (KC to Niagara Falls Canada, 2700 miles total) the seat did such a good job I hardly used the J-Pegs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in