Footpeg lowering options? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Footpeg lowering options?

Well, the old knees are acting up, I think I need to take the plunge and lower/relocate my K1200LT's footpegs.

Any options other than the $159 Suburban Machinery relocators? Yeah, they look great, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option to do the same thing.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:58 am

Re: Footpeg lowering options?

I am 5' 11" 175 lbs. I have used both the Darius relocators and the suburban machinery ones and both have their pros and cons. The Darius boards in my opinion offer a more comfortable tour ride since they are lower, flat and bigger. You can very easily reposition your legs with them since they are so large. They do limit your turning a bit if you are very aggressive in the twisties but not so much that they are a hindrance. The SM type feels more like the stock position just a bit lower. I am currently running the SM's so I am selling my Darius's in the classifieds. I hope this helps. PM me if you want to talk about/offer on the ones I am selling.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #3 of 25 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 9:57 am

Pete,

I held off getting a peg lowering set for my '99 for some time, but finally decided it was necessary for long ride comfort. I got lucky and managed to snag a used set of Suburban peg lowering fittings. Very pleased with the change.

But, I disagree with Suburban's product description which says that no change is needed to the shift or brake pedals. I hated the way my size 12 right foot hits the stock brake and finally ordered the Ilium lowered & extended pedal. It should arrive in a day or two. It's drop and extension dimensions sound about right.

Like you, I looked around and didn't see any less expensive solution. Finding the used parts sure helped, I'll admit.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

post #4 of 25 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 5:55 am

My 2 cents on the Suburban Machinery footpeg relocators - I have a size 10 boot and needed to lower both the gear lever and brake pedal. On my '05 the brake pedal knurled end cover can be cut off and lowered on the lever, this gains about 10 mm (lower), then adjust the rest using the M6 bolt. As for compromises, I found in this last week on our west coast roads, fully loaded and 2-up that I almost destroyed the right side one along with the foot peg, the left side copping slightly less damage. They are difinitely more comfortable to ride with over long distances, but they won't susvive for long in the twisties. So for me I think they'll be coming off and I'll either remachine them to be shorter or leave them off altogether and maybe look at raising the seat height slightly more. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:34 am

I have the Darius foot boards and love them. I have extra thick soles added to my boots and have no problems with shifting or braking. I had the Illum sport boards on my RT and liked those as well.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I have the SM re-locators on my 05 LT. If you look at them closely, you will see that they have an offset on where the factory peg remounts. In the recommended mounting configuration the offset is towards the bottom.This moves the peg down and forward about 1-1/2". If the mounts are reversed from right to left, then the peg move ahead about 1-3/4" but moves down only about 3/8". This has actually decreased my knee angle more than the conventional mounting. I wear size 8-12 shoes, so the brake and shifter positions are now ideal.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #7 of 25 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 6:59 am

Footpeg lowering options? (REVIVED)

I have read many threads now on peg lowering for the LT. I have seen old threads that some have tried the move and been unhappy thus selling their lowering kit to other less aggressive riders. I am reviving this thread to see what lurks for 2012 in hopes that someone may have a set they no longer want and would consider passing on to "ME". Retail pricing is not in my budget, so discounted $$'s works. (sorry if I missed a more current thread covering this)

Thanks for your time
post #8 of 25 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 9:07 am

I'm not sure if this would be an option, but have you raised your seat. It will give you an inch or so and cost you nothing.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #9 of 25 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
I'm not sure if this would be an option, but have you raised your seat. It will give you an inch or so and cost you nothing.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm a 30" inseam so hitting the ground is an issue already. I found that in tennis shoes, all is well. I went for a lengthy ride and put on my boots and found that I'm having trouble getting my left foot off the peg at a stop. (had two hip replacements on that left side and the muscles don't work as well as they used to).
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2018, 6:51 pm

So my ankles are killing me. I've ridden this LT for two years with no problems. But the winter and arthritis have taken their toll. I wanna move my pegs down and the SM look like the ticket.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200LT.htm

Anyone have a set they wanna sell?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #11 of 25 Old Apr 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
So my ankles are killing me. I've ridden this LT for two years with no problems. But the winter and arthritis have taken their toll. I wanna move my pegs down and the SM look like the ticket.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200LT.htm

Anyone have a set they wanna sell?
I have a set ( not sure but they look like that) but I am not going to sell them. If you like to lean, they make scraping the pegs really easy. I plan on putting them on for the CCR trip to Arkansas on the highway and take them off once I get there and put them back on for the ride home. They make a big difference.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #12 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2018, 11:52 am

Garage

Knightdesign has some also, am not sure if for the LT
KD BMW K1200R Lowered Foot Pegs

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
2007 Triumph Sprint ST(sold)
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Where can one purchase these Darius boards ?
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2018, 8:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbest View Post
Where can one purchase these Darius boards ?
I don't know if they are still available but I have a set of boards that look like them I'll let go of. PM me for details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5794.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	143378  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 25 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I had peg extenders on RT/s before and they don't seem to make that much differ to me.

I would think, if you had trouble with knees on pegs, the solution to the problem would be hwy-pegs; of course, I am just guessing.
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
I had peg extenders on RT/s before and they don't seem to make that much differ to me.

I would think, if you had trouble with knees on pegs, the solution to the problem would be hwy-pegs; of course, I am just guessing.
My problem is two fold. My ankles and my riding boots. It's just a weird angle with the under the toe shifter and pressing the brake pedal. Thought if the pegs were a little lower it should be all good.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #17 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
My problem is two fold. My ankles and my riding boots. It's just a weird angle with the under the toe shifter and pressing the brake pedal. Thought if the pegs were a little lower it should be all good.
I always wondered why manufacturers of Sports touring bikes don't design a model with a forward-control, like the cruisers models, and with the legs inside the fairing.

Seems to me, it would be an ergonomic way to tour on a bike.

Except for the Goldwing, most sports touring bike have pegs positions that are not user-friendly for long rides.

Maybe all these bike makers own all the hwy peg manufacturers in incognito form, so they make the bike uncomfortable on purpose--no? too much conspiracy theory? maybe?

ON A SIDE NOTE:
How about the seat?
Everyone who buys a sports touring bike changes the seat, particularly if they use it for long riding. Very few, and I mean very few riders accept the ergonomics of an OEM sports touring seat.

It appears more important to manufacturers to make seats to target marketing-looks than for pragmatic- ergonomics--again, the Goldwing appears to be the only comfy seat for long touring.

My question is: Would they sell less bikes if they made the seats more comfortable, but perhaps more ugly cause they don't follow the visual lines of the bike? They must think so cause they keep making them uncomfortable but cute.
post #18 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 2:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
I always wondered why manufacturers of Sports touring bikes don't design a model with a forward-control, like the cruisers models, and with the legs inside the fairing.
If I wanted to ride a cruiser I would get a cruiser. I like to be able to stand easily between gas stops and I don't see how you can do that with forward pegs and controls.
saddleman and Temesvar like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #19 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Forward controls would allow a more 'stretching' position.

No one is suggesting you ride a cruiser. In fact, I now kind regret sharing my thoughts

There seems to be a prevalent 'snap-back' attitude on this board that is not conducive to conversation. It could be cabin-fever
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

No one is suggesting you ride a cruiser. In fact, I now kind regret sharing my thoughts

There seems to be a prevalent 'snap-back' attitude on this board that is not conducive to conversation. It could be cabin-fever
I didn't read John's comment as anything other than a matter of fact reply. Then again, I am similarly matter of fact in my comments.

The LT is not a sport touring bike, but I understand what you are saying. My Sonata is standard shift, so my feet are on the pedals a lot, but Hyundai provides a nice foot rest left of the clutch pedal for when I am cruising down the highway and not shifting.

It seems that some forward footrests could be designed into the fairing for use during highway time and keep the normal pegs for use in town and the twisties. And they could be really clever and incorporate doors that could be opened in the winter to direct heat from the radiators onto the toes. At least this is how I would design a luxury touring motorcycle.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Garage

Quote:

Respond here to mention, that , just because someone doesn't agree with you, does not mean he, or you, are right! Is just a difference of opinions.
Yet again, if we all agree, there would be no reason to even discus a subject, since that soon would become boring!

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 8:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temesvar View Post
Respond here to mention, that , just because someone doesn't agree with you, does not mean he, or you, are right! Is just a difference of opinions.
Yet again, if we all agree, there would be no reason to even discus a subject, since that soon would become boring!
I would agree with you, but that would be boring.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #23 of 25 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I would agree with you, but that would be boring.
You are right, or..maybe wrong! Whatever that is not boring!

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 29th, 2018, 8:09 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Now I do have two aftermarket items on the bike, Mic-O-Pegs that give me a down and forward resting place and the Hiway Ottomans that give me a "gynecological" stretch just above the tip over bars. I rotate through those points several times each hour.

Most people don't want to hear your opinion, they want to hear you say their opinion.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #25 of 25 Old Apr 29th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Quote:
ON A SIDE NOTE:
How about the seat?
Everyone who buys a sports touring bike changes the seat, particularly if they use it for long riding. Very few, and I mean very few riders accept the ergonomics of an OEM sports touring seat.

It appears more important to manufacturers to make seats to target marketing-looks than for pragmatic- ergonomics--again, the Goldwing appears to be the only comfy seat for long touring.

My question is: Would they sell less bikes if they made the seats more comfortable, but perhaps more ugly cause they don't follow the visual lines of the bike? They must think so cause they keep making them uncomfortable but cute.
When Aprilia came out with the Futura the seat was very comfortable and ugly. After one year they changed to a less comfortable one to make the buyer happy.
The only seat I changed was my R1100R, and that had more to do with the OEM looks than the comfort.
My Ducati ST3 seat was fantastic. They had a LD comfort seat option I thought of but the gel insert heated up in the sun.
My R1150GS seat isn't great (looks or comfort) but it's good enough.
My K1200LT seat is wonderful, I just wish it was back an inch.
I wonder how the K1200LT woulda been with floorboards like a Harley or Guzzi...

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in