Wife getting on the bike. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Wife getting on the bike.

Ok guys, Let me start by letting you know that I`m 5 feet 8 inches tall and weight 160 lbs against a 700 plus lbs bike and it really scares me if I`m sitting on the bike with no kick or center stand down then she hops on her left foot rest to get on it and puts lots of stress on me to handle the extra side weight and when she finally seats I`m putting so much counter weight to the right that the bike tends to go to the right since all her weight is allready off the left side. The wife is 5 feet 6 and not as heavy (pretty hot actually) (if I don`t put this on, she will kill me), any ways, any advice for her on how to get on the bike? will you guys get on it first? or after her? with center stand down? or side stand down? will apreciate any imput. Our other bike is a lowered stretched out hayabusa and is very easy to get on, and since this is our first big touring bike with no experience on it. will love to learn some tricks from the pros like you. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Re: Wife getting on the bike.

I put my LT on the center stand and the wife mounts up. Then I get on.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that she is light as a feather and extremely hawt (in case she reads this).

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #3 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
Ok guys, Let me start by letting you know that I`m 5 feet 8 inches tall and weight 160 lbs against a 700 plus lbs bike and it really scares me if I`m sitting on the bike with no kick or center stand down then she hops on her left foot rest to get on it and puts lots of stress on me to handle the extra side weight and when she finally seats I`m putting so much counter weight to the right that the bike tends to go to the right since all her weight is allready off the left side. The wife is 5 feet 6 and not as heavy (pretty hot actually) (if I don`t put this on, she will kill me), any ways, any advice for her on how to get on the bike? will you guys get on it first? or after her? with center stand down? or side stand down? will apreciate any imput. Our other bike is a lowered stretched out hayabusa and is very easy to get on, and since this is our first big touring bike with no experience on it. will love to learn some tricks from the pros like you. Thank you all.

I wouldn't recommend using the center stand or side stand. It is too hard to get off the center stand and the side stand leans over too far.

I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5". It is difficult for me also especially after just installing a corbin seat, I can't stand flat footed any more.

The way we do it is I get as stable as I can and counter the weight she puts on with my own weight. We use good communication, she won't get on or off until I am good and ready.

PS, my wife is hot too!!!

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Tried that but my light but is not heavy enough to push the bike off the center stand with her on. Now that I think about it , I did not ask her to help me lean forward to gain momentum and free the bike down forward
post #5 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
I wouldn't recommend using the center stand or side stand. It is too hard to get off the center stand and the side stand leans over too far.

I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5". It is difficult for me also especially after just installing a corbin seat, I can't stand flat footed any more.

The way we do it is I get as stable as I can and counter the weight she puts on with my own weight. We use good communication, she won't get on or off until I am good and ready.

PS, my wife is hot too!!!

David
Plus 1 & my wife is hot too.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:33 pm

The wet weight of the LT is more around 830 lbs. You didn't specify if your bike is a 99-04 or 05 and later, the big difference being the hydraulic center stand, and next being the lean angle on the side stand.
With bike on the center stand my HOT wife gets on first. That allows me to plug in her com cable. When dismounting I go first so I can unplug her com cable. I need to specify that I have a Bakup back-rest so it is a bit more difficult for her to mount/dismount.
With the bike on the side stand she also gets on first, and I also dismount first, but Kathy does not like the lean angle as it is much more pronounced on our 05 than on our 99 and 03 LTs.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Well you can do like I do, I have my left foot on the ground and the side stand in the down position. I have the side stand down just in case my foot slips my back up will be the side stand. Then I have her get on from the left side. She puts her left foot on the left foot peg and swings her right leg over.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #8 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

It is a 2007 with hydraulic center stand.

Last edited by mechanic; Sep 5th, 2011 at 6:42 pm.
post #9 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
I would not recommend loading while on the centerstand. I have trouble getting my LT off the centerstand while astraddle it when I am alone and the back and forward rock I have to do to get it off the stand would be difficult with the wife onboard. And I am 6', 225 lbs with a 32" inseam. I suspect you would have trouble.

The side stand is certainly a good way to go, although the LT leans over quite a bit on the sidestand so you will have to horse it a fair bit to stand the bike up once your wife is onboard.

The technique my wife and I use is this: I get on first and stand the bike up and stow the kick stand. I lean forward a little and keep my legs pretty close to the tank so as to stabilize the bike. She normally mounts from the left as with a horse, but sometimes will mount from the right if there is another bike close on our left side. Either way works the same for me. Once she indicates she is ready to board, I tilt the bike away from her so it is resting against my leg opposite the side she is on. It is not a huge tilt, maybe 5 degrees, 10 at the most. She then fairly quickly stands on the peg on her side extending her leg fully which allows her to easily get her other leg over the seat and sit down behind me. I basically don't hold the bars too rigidly and let her weight stand the bike from its tilted posiiton back to vertical.

We have gotten quite good at this and there is absolutely no drama. I can get the tilt so that when she boards the bike ends up back at vertical with almost no input from me at all. The two key things are getting the tilt angle right for your wife's weight and having her board in a fairly qiuck and fluid motion. The only time I had trouble was when my wife started to board and then for some reason stepped back off the bike. That caught me by surprise, but even that wasn't too big a deal.

I am sure there are other good techniques also, but this one works for us.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Your wives are hot only if you prove it with a picture.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

Your wives are hot only if you prove it with a picture.

I just spent half a day trying to figure out how to edit my signature and add a map!!! LOL

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #12 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Thank`s for the advices. I guess I`ll try some of the techniques and see how it works.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #13 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I am 5'9" and what I do is after getting the bike off the center stand, I put the kick stand down, but use my leg strength to hold up the bike while my wife gets on. Using the side stand for insurance, mostly and in the event after a long day of riding and a little tired, for a little extra support. I would not however recommend using the side stand alone.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #14 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Wink Re: Wife getting on the bike.

Like many others have already said, do not use the Center stand or Side stand. I get on first, get the Bike off of the center or Side stand, go ahead and start the engine.

Then grab the front brake while bracing the handlebars, and with both feet firmly planted on the ground (slide forward on the seat if you need to) the wife climbs on. In her case, it is usually from the right side so she can go ahead and plug in her cord to let me know she is ready to get on, and make sure I am ready.

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #15 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I would not recommend loading while on the centerstand. I have trouble getting my LT off the centerstand while astraddle it when I am alone and the back and forward rock I have to do to get it off the stand would be difficult with the wife onboard. And I am 6', 225 lbs with a 32" inseam. I suspect you would have trouble.

The side stand is certainly a good way to go, although the LT leans over quite a bit on the sidestand so you will have to horse it a fair bit to stand the bike up once your wife is onboard.

The technique my wife and I use is this: I get on first and stand the bike up and stow the kick stand. I lean forward a little and keep my legs pretty close to the tank so as to stabilize the bike. She normally mounts from the left as with a horse, but sometimes will mount from the right if there is another bike close on our left side. Either way works the same for me. Once she indicates she is ready to board, I tilt the bike away from her so it is resting against my leg opposite the side she is on. It is not a huge tilt, maybe 5 degrees, 10 at the most. She then fairly quickly stands on the peg on her side extending her leg fully which allows her to easily get her other leg over the seat and sit down behind me. I basically don't hold the bars too rigidly and let her weight stand the bike from its tilted posiiton back to vertical.

We have gotten quite good at this and there is absolutely no drama. I can get the tilt so that when she boards the bike ends up back at vertical with almost no input from me at all. The two key things are getting the tilt angle right for your wife's weight and having her board in a fairly qiuck and fluid motion. The only time I had trouble was when my wife started to board and then for some reason stepped back off the bike. That caught me by surprise, but even that wasn't too big a deal.

I am sure there are other good techniques also, but this one works for us.
Works great here too.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #16 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I have to agree with Voyager about the pics. My wife and I jetskied together for a number of years and it has definately helped our balance and has taught her to help keep the weight over the center.
post #17 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 8:54 pm
cws

Garage

I use no stands, tip the bike slightly to the right to counter the weight, making sure I have stable footing under my left foot as the weight gets transferred.

Just as importantly as getting on though, is that she makes sure you know when she wants to get off!
My partner decided to get back off for a moment after I thought she's settled in, I'd released the stabilising pressure off my foot on the LHS, and of course as soon as she shifted her weight to get off, the old gal layed over.....and so did we... LOL.
"now honey, I've told you about communication, haven't I..???!!!"

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Since we are both tall, no problem here, I get on first, stand stowed, feet planted, handbreake on, short nod, she gets on.
Oh yes, she's hot.
post #19 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 9:24 pm

What Voyager said. Tilt the bike away from her and her weight stands it back up. We don't even think about it any more...just comes natural. There was a time or two when she first started riding that she didn't wait till I was ready. We had a little talk and she agreed NEVER to do that again. She healed nicely!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #20 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 9:29 pm

My wife and I have it down to a science. Took a few years of practice to make it all work like it does. I get on, center the bike and support it with my thighs, side stand/center stand up, start engine, snick it into gear, and ride away! My wife doesn't ride, has no desire to, and I like it that way!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #21 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 10:00 pm

I'm 5'7", 30" inseam; spouse is 5'6". While she's usually on her own bike, she is excellent at getting on/off.

She doesn't get on or off without a *very* definite signal from me. Once I'm set with both feet on the ground and both hands/arms braced to hold the bars up (i.e., ready to instantly pull *up* on either grip if the bike starts to give a sign of tipping), she starts on.

She also concentrates on something I didn't see mentioned in this thread -- keeping her center of mass as close to the center of the bike as possible as she gets on/off. This means leaning inward over the center of the bike as much as possible while she's getting on/off.

For example, to get off, standing straight up, then while swinging the right leg over to the left (using me and then the trunk for balance) keeping her torso over the center of the bike as much as she can while lowering the right foot to the ground. Same basic idea when getting on.

Obviously, there is some part of the on/off manuever where it's not physically possible to have the CG exactly over the bike -- but thinking about keeping the distance between her CG and the bike's CG as close together as practical does help.

By keeping the center of gravity idea in mind, she has become one of the least bike-disturbing passengers I've ever ridden with. Of course, being a rider herself probably helps -- she inherently understands/keeps in mind the "dynamics" of balancing a bike.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #22 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm

I will have the bike out of the parking spot ready to depart, give her a nod and she hops on.
Communication is important. A surprise during the procedure is never good.
Some spots are better than others for level side to side, so if the slope is noticeable, we will either have her mount from the high side (my leg is not so close to full extension before we start) or look for a better (more level) mounting spot. And keep an eye out for footing and traction as well. Good luck figuring it all out, then enjoy the ride.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #23 of 39 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 11:12 pm

I'm 5'8", wife is 5'2"... we use Scala Rider G4 Powerset to communicate, I get on and leave the side stand down for insurance, good communication and she mounts and dismounts this way, I even fuel up with her mounted and the side stand in place and never think twice about her on and off anymore, it's just poetry in motion.

We have over 60k miles riding together and didn't begin like that though ... we actually practiced tip dismounts (bike beyond the point of keeping up, controlled list to the tip-wing and smooth step out and off), kept the arguments to a minimum about why it happened, some me learning the weight and gravity angle, some her and not letting me know what was going on behind me.

2012 K1600GT

post #24 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 4:12 am

I'll concur with the advice given here as to the best technique for having your passenger get on the bike.....aren't all our riding partners lovely...btw :-)

I work in my semi retirement at a BMW dealership and see many folks get on bikes in the show room or out front when leaving on a demo ride. LT's continue to be a "been dreaming of it for a long time" purchase for a lot of customers, even though it's been out of production. Often they're purchased with the intent of the wife becoming a passenger....sometimes for the first time. As a result, I end up "coaching" couples as to how the passenger should mount. Here's what I advise they do:

Always have the operator get on first...
Apply the front brake
Plant both feet firmly on the ground. If you're short...stand rather than sit on the seat.
Have the bike standing vertical.
Move/lean a bit forward.
Have the passenger approach from the left, circumstances permitting.
Put her hands on your shoulders
Plant her left foot on the left foot peg
Lean her shoulders a bit over the bike as she stands up and swings her right leg over the seat and sits down.

It's pretty much what's already been said here.....I'm simply saying I've seen and helped folks do this dozens of times. And, I've seen folks who get on a showroom bike on their own before I've talked with them do a lot of silly things....occasionally with unfortunate results.

A couple of other things to remember.

Get the bike situated in a good ride off direction and position before your partner gets on. Position the bike where you don't have to do something like a tight 180 on gravel after she's on. If she has to walk a bit to get to you and the bike....so be it.

Also....don't forget that the top case has two mount positions. I recommend that the trunk be mounted in the rear position when routinely carrying a passenger. That extra room not only makes her more comfortable, but gives just a bit more space for swinging her right leg through when mounting and dismounting. It only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to remount the top case.

Positive signals for when your ready for her to mount and dismount are vital. If she puts her weight on the peg before you're ready......too late.

Most of us get to some version of the above when carrying passengers, but I'm continuously amazed at how may riders haven't thought this through to have a good technique.

Good luck!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #25 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 5:08 am

I am 5'8" and slightly rotund My bride is 5'4" and about the same shape (but very hot for a 72 year old) The only way we can get mounted is, I have the bike on the side stand and help her get mounted, then I get aboard and stand the bike up having her lean a bit to the left to help shift the weight. I have a real fear of ever having to dismount quickly in an emergency, it just aint gonna happen. So I bought a side car ! Haven't attached it yet, probably a winter project. My wife loves to ride with me and I love it too, just worry all the time as we both don't move as fast nor do we have the agility that we used to have.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #26 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper
Well you can do like I do, I have my left foot on the ground and the side stand in the down position. I have the side stand down just in case my foot slips my back up will be the side stand. Then I have her get on from the left side. She puts her left foot on the left foot peg and swings her right leg over.
I can't IMAGINE doing it any other way...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #27 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

My wife always gets on the bike from the left side. I take the bike off the stand, either side or center depending on how I stowed it, then press my left thigh against the bike to hold it in place. I let her know she can get on once it's braced, she steps up on the foot peg, then puts her foot over the seat and sits, making sure she steps straight up on the peg (keeping her center of gravity close to the bike) with one hand on my shoulder and the other on the seat back. I am 5'8", 160 lbs, but with long legs (32" inseam) and can flat foot the bike. She is 5'5", 120 lbs and yes, still hot!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #28 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
My wife always gets on the bike from the left side. I take the bike off the stand, either side or center depending on how I stowed it, then press my left thigh against the bike to hold it in place. I let her know she can get on once it's braced, she steps up on the foot peg, then puts her foot over the seat and sits, making sure she steps straight up on the peg (keeping her center of gravity close to the bike) with one hand on my shoulder and the other on the seat back. I am 5'8", 160 lbs, but with long legs (32" inseam) and can flat foot the bike. She is 5'5", 120 lbs and yes, still hot!
Same way I do it...and my wife is also very hot!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #29 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:46 am

Some of you may be telling the truth here about your wives, for the others, sometimes little lies can keep a marriage together.
post #30 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:47 am

And I thought you were all stand up honest guys.
post #31 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 1:30 pm

I put the sidestand down, put my foot on it to make sure it doesn't "roll", hold onto the handlebar, allow my wife to mount from the left side, I plug in her com, and then I get on the bike, getting off, reverse process. Have had no issues with this procedure, and gives my "hot" wife plenty of room to get on and off, and allows me easy access to plug in the com connection. I read the hot wife thread before this one, so now I know what caused that one....You go Ron K...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #32 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 2:38 pm

I think the main thing is to make sure the hot wife gets on bike.

But that being said, my hot wife makes sure I am ready and also makes sure to put as much weight over the center of the bike she can. By doing this many times I can't really tell she is getting on because the bike doesn't shift of feel like it wants to fall to the left.

I am like most of the others side stand down just in case, always give the ok, and she gets on with weight over the bike.

I just hope that my wife never hurts her legs, because if she couldn't step threw it would be a nightmare.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #33 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
My wife and I have it down to a science. Took a few years of practice to make it all work like it does. I get on, center the bike and support it with my thighs, side stand/center stand up, start engine, snick it into gear, and ride away! My wife doesn't ride, has no desire to, and I like it that way!
Well, if your wife was hot like the rest of our wives, you wouldn't like it that she stays behind!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #34 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Lots of good techniques and hot wives. Can`t wait to try them, (I mean the techniques) Thank you for all the advice guys.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #35 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Okay.... so how about the hot girlfriend then?

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #36 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I can't IMAGINE doing it any other way...
I guess this makes me a plus 2. It doesn't matter much if you are short/tall if your foot slips...its' asta lavista baby.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #37 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:57 pm

My hot wife aka HoneyBunny damn near pulled us into a ditch dismounting the bike. It was my fault as I pulled over to the side of the road I didn't notice how much the grade sloaped down. She steppped off, lost her balance and grabbed the bike to steady herself. Moral of the story - pay close attention to the shoulder of the road.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #38 of 39 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper
+1 for me too with 1 caveat. Make sure she keeps her weight as close to the bike as possible when she stands on the peg. Awfully hard to keep it on its wheels when the mama has her left foot on the peg and her right foot in the next county! Stand directly adjacent to the bike send/receive OK to mount up signal and then stand straight up on the peg and place right leg over seat. No wild and crazy swing of the right leg.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #39 of 39 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 2:53 am

Garage

Roamrider is El Perfecto.

I understand this conversation is not for 6' 1 1/2" with long inseam but this is exactly the technique I have always used. My legs are the only stand I trust. So a good footing is the first thing. Always mount first and dismount last (which means I don't leave my wife on when I'm not). I have heard of side stands breaking and hurting results. I have seen a couple side stand sink into soft blacktop or unpaved ground and were added difficulty to bring to the vertical. Be like a step ladder or out riggers on a crane and keep the bike vertical and the 850 pounds are neutralized.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in