telelevar trouble update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

telelevar trouble update

Went and got my bike from the shop and brought it home, pulled out a flashlight and started looking around under the hood noticing that the lower ball joint on the lower fork bridge didn`t look right. Checked out some schematics and realized exactly what is wrong. The threaded portion of the lower ball joint sheared off in some freak occurance, and nothing is holding the front of the trailing arm in position. $ 123.35 for parts, an investment of my own time, and all will be good again. Thanks for eveyones help in figuring this thing out.

Don't waste a day wishing you rode!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Re: telelevar trouble update

Glad you found out was exactly was wrong. I myself wonder whey the part broke. Also its a good thing it let loose when it did, it could have been real ugly if you were riding 65 mph. and the front end collapsed on the the front wheel.....

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 4:56 am

I believe I would take the new parts to a dealer and have their service department install the new ball joint on the fork bridge. It's a 230Nm torque and should be in a very strong vise. I had looked at taking mine apart (MY 99 R1100RT) to clean up some corrosion. Saw the torque required and asked the "local" service tech about it. They don't even like doing it but have a special jig to hold the bridge as they torque it. The ball to telever joint is 130Nm IIRC. That's a bunch of torque by itself.

Of course I'd strip everything off myself and just take the bridge and new ball up to the service department. HTH.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:28 am

Bill,

Glad you found the problem. Hope the repairs go without much fuss. If there was an impact with a curb, pot hole, etc hard enough to snap that stud, I'd sure have a good look for other damage, like bent fork tubes, etc. Hopefully there won't be any.

Again, good luck!
JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 1:57 pm

I would wonder about notifying NTSB about the failure. Like Chipper said if it failed while doing 65 on the freeway could be a disaster with fatal results..

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I believe I would take the new parts to a dealer and have their service department install the new ball joint on the fork bridge. It's a 230Nm torque and should be in a very strong vise. I had looked at taking mine apart (MY 99 R1100RT) to clean up some corrosion. Saw the torque required and asked the "local" service tech about it. They don't even like doing it but have a special jig to hold the bridge as they torque it. The ball to telever joint is 130Nm IIRC. That's a bunch of torque by itself.

Of course I'd strip everything off myself and just take the bridge and new ball up to the service department. HTH.
Great idea, and I just got off the phone with the shop, they said that they can do it in about an hour. Thanks for the help

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamrider
Bill,

Glad you found the problem. Hope the repairs go without much fuss. If there was an impact with a curb, pot hole, etc hard enough to snap that stud, I'd sure have a good look for other damage, like bent fork tubes, etc. Hopefully there won't be any.

Again, good luck!
JD
The problem is that I don`t recall anything like that at all ! I`m very careful with my machine simply because I am a very cautious rider, and my wife and I go two up quite a bit and I take that kind of responsibility very seriously.Who knows what happenned. Maybe it should be reported !

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in