2002 i-ABS Question, fluid change and bleeding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

2002 i-ABS Question, fluid change and bleeding

I followed the process to change brake fluid on my 2002. ( I had a front brake line rupture and believe the rear reservoir ran dry) I replaced the front 3 lines with Spieglers then replaced the front pads with Carbon-Lorraines. I followed the fluid change process to the letter. When I did the front wheel circuits I barely got any fluid to come out of the bleeder. Gradually I got more fluid to exit. The front lever finally feels good. It seemed like the servo pump was not working. I went for a cautious ride, and tried the right front bleeder again. This time the pump activated and lots of fresh fluid came out. ( I have the stand thing, so I did not introduce more air.) The ABS seemed to be working great, but then it appears to have stopped again. I now seem to be back to the residual brakes where I was before the line ruptured. When I pulled the front brake lever, I do not always hear the pump trying to activate as it should. Could there be air in the system still? Can the dealer do a more complete air purge than I can do? This is a long saga I know, but do you guys think my ABS pump is dead/dying/intermittent failure, or do you think I should try the complete fluid change process again? I have used about about 20ounces of new fluid so far.

THanks for all your collective wisdom out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in