2002 I-ABS Brake line replaced...getting ready for the bleeding.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

2002 I-ABS Brake line replaced...getting ready for the bleeding..

Ok guys, I replaced the front brake lines with Spieglers and am getting ready to attempt the bleed process. I have read the procedure posted for the Integral pump bleed about 20 times. I think I understand what needs to be done. I don't think that the fluid level in the handlebar reservoir drop far enough to allow air into the pump, but believe that the level in the rear half of the res under the seat fell low enough to suck air into the front wheel circuit due to the brake line leak...I will fill the rear reservoir correctly, perform the control circuit bleeds then the wheel circuit bleeds. Without performing the bleeding procedures, I have no front brake at all. ( I have new pads to install as fluid definately dripped onto the old pads), the rear brake seems to be at full power. My question is this...Could the integral pump have sucked in air in from the low fluid wheel circuit? If so, am I screwed and need to trailer the bike into dealer to have them purge air with their special tool? and lastly, can I do any more harm than is already present by trying the orderly bleed process?
Thanks in advance,
BTW if anybody wants to come over to my garage and help fix this, I'll guarantee beers and pizza for all, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 12:37 pm

Re: 2002 I-ABS Brake line replaced...getting ready for the bleeding..

I have a K1200LT and have a similar problem. I blew the rear brake hose that is behind the kick plate on the right side by the rear pedal. I have the integral ABS, servo assist, etc.

I installed the new line and I have pumped and pumped the rear brake. I can't find any instructions on bleeding the ABS module. It looks as if there is some type of intervenous fill spot under the front seat off to the left. that runs down into some other brake lines that trickle to the front and the back. There are also 2 bleeder valves on the other side of this. When I hit the brakes you can still hear the pumps trying to do their job. Hopefully, this means that the pumps have not burned out due to the lack of fluid.

Naturally, I blew the hose on a Saturday night 700 miles from home and rode back with the front brake only.

I filled the one half of the reservoir under the rear seat. The other half was still full.

Could anyone provide some easy to follow and print instructions on how to get the brakes primed so I have the rear again and no air in the system?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in