Transmission - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Transmission

Hey guys, I have a 2003 LT with 73,500 miles on it.
within the the last 10k miles, shifting in 3rd and 4th have become a bit noisy. A bit of a clunk as it shifts. 1st 2nd and 5th are always quite. Any ideas whats going on here. It shifts fine and never have had a problem there. When shifting into those gears, its sounds a bit like the old HD i owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:15 pm

Re: Transmission

First thing I would do is adjust the lever wheel at clutch lever so you are getting more clutch travel ( lever further out ) and then go ride it and see if better clutch disengagement smooths out the shifts ?

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 4 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:05 pm

Talking Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
First thing I would do is adjust the lever wheel at clutch lever so you are getting more clutch travel ( lever further out ) and then go ride it and see if better clutch disengagement smooths out the shifts ?
Gosh, I thought the lever wheel was just for adjusting for long or short fingers. I didn't think it had anything to do with clutch travel. I've been wrong before. Guess I better study that a bit.

On my '03 I have the tunes on all the time so I can't tell you if it sounds any different shitfting from different gears or not. Transmission oil level OK? ( level with the bottom of the fill hole behind the right foot plate while on the center stand)

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Re: Transmission

I'll give it a go, thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in