Help with small issues. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Help with small issues.

Hi All,

So now Iím a year into the LT experience. Iíve worked out the problems with the brake noise. Iíve dropped it once (no damage) and, in general, I love the bike. I have two issues and I could use some advice with them.

1. I can never figure just how fast Iím going. I know the speedometer is off and reads on the high side. Iím not sure how much because the thing is hard to read. Just where is 55 Ė 65 100. Maybe someone in the aftermarket has made a replacement speedometer face. Thatís probably too easy.
2. The next thing is the windshield. Iíve replaced the stock with a Cee Baleys #1 with wings. I like the looks of the windshield but if I adjust the height to look over it, I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet at speeds over 40 mph ( Iím guessing about the speed) I know the Cee Baleys Co. makes a shield with a re-curve near the top. Has anyone tried it, and does the curve cause distortion in the event you want to look through it instead of over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I can tell you what I did about #1--speedo problem. I installed a Sigma Bicycle speedometer and now I can tell how fast I'm going within 1 MPH. It's great to really know your speed without having to deduct 10% from the BMW's speedo reading.

I posted an article on how I did it--search for Sigma and see if you can find it, if you're interested. If not, PM me and I'll see if I still have the info someplace.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:08 pm

1. You can do a speedo fix. That will fix the acuaricy but not the visability, if thatís a problem for you. A GPS is another option that addresses both issues.
2. The Cee Baleys #2 is the shield has a built in reverse contour that is very subtle, yet pushes the ram air higher than the stock shield.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200ltsel.html

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Speedometer: I use the onboard computer function(MPH) to check my speed by using the reset mode while on the go..I've checked it against my analog readout and the computer readout comes out to be about 4-5 miles per hour slower..Don't know how valid it is but with all the comments on a 10 % error on the low side it might be a fairly accurate way getting a valid speed check..
'Course nothing beats a GPS readout..
Windshield: switched to a Parabellum..smoother wind flow and distortion free..
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Until I fixed my speedo, with the mod on this forum, I simply multiplied the speed by .9

I recently rode by a side of the road radar system that indicated speed. My speedo reading of aprox 40 gave me 40 MPH from the radar unit.

Bob
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 5:22 pm

I'm using the Cee Bailey #2, no wings for about 3 years with very good results
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1200ltno2.htm

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
1. You can do a speedo fix.
Given the available information, we don't really know that, do we? As I understand things, the "jumper fix" won't work with the late models. Am I wrong?
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 7:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The jumper fix doesn't work on '05-'06 bikes, but you can remove the actual speedo needle and set it slightly lower. It's almost as much work though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 7:37 pm

How about a Laminar Lip? It's gotta be cheaper than buying a new CB.
Has any one else had any experience with them? I had one on my VFR, and I liked it. When I get to that point on my wish list, I intend to consider the lip.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:19 pm

1) i am too lazy to fix the speedo. i just calculate 10 percent optimism. at 100 i'm actually going 90, etc. ... it's EZ.

2) maybe go back to the stock windshield? i don't know about cee bailey, but the stock windshield has a very definite sweet spot that allows me to look over it.
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I tried a Laminar Lip on my LT. It is an improvement over the stock windshield, but it has its quirks also. Since the windshield is so tall, you have to attach it at the edges using stick-on velcro pads. Not only are these visible while riding, but they allow the Lip to flex at speed and push back in the center, negating any wind flow improvements. To counter this, there is a large rubber bumper that gets stuck dead center, which you can also see while riding. I found it helped, but increased the annoyance factor considerably.

I think the Laminar Lip works well on sport bikes where it can be attached using the factory windshield screws, but on a large windshield like the LT's it isn't the best solution.

The Cee Bailey #2 (with upper flip) seems to work well for me, and many others.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Gary,

Come on down my way. We'll have that speedo fixed in a couple of hours.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
1) i am too lazy to fix the speedo. i just calculate 10 percent optimism. at 100 i'm actually going 90, etc. ... it's EZ.
I wrote the book on "lazy", for things I really don't think I should have to do, but this speedo thing is annoying and a PITA. I don't want to be having to do mental gymnastics all the time, when the objective is to just be able to enjoy the ride (and stay legal).
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I tried a Laminar Lip on my LT. It is an improvement over the stock windshield, but it has its quirks also. Since the windshield is so tall, you have to attach it at the edges using stick-on velcro pads. Not only are these visible while riding, but they allow the Lip to flex at speed and push back in the center, negating any wind flow improvements. To counter this, there is a large rubber bumper that gets stuck dead center, which you can also see while riding. I found it helped, but increased the annoyance factor considerably.

I think the Laminar Lip works well on sport bikes where it can be attached using the factory windshield screws, but on a large windshield like the LT's it isn't the best solution.

The Cee Bailey #2 (with upper flip) seems to work well for me, and many others.
Thanks for the info!
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Gary,

Come on down my way. We'll have that speedo fixed in a couple of hours.
nice offer ... i might just take ya up on it.

thanks, brother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in